Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our trailer hooked up for the first time and are driving about 55/60 down a pretty flat road. Fairly often I feel the car hesitate on and off. Kinda jerk but subtle. Anyone have this experience or know why this might be happening or if there is a way to make the ride more smooth? It isn’t windy or hilly at all. Thanks! Oh and our camper is about 2k.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
For the forum discussion confirm following all maintenance schedules, repairs, tow prep etc. Past towing history or heavy duty usage etc

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Just wonder with towing only 2000Lbs is the VCM trying to activate.
I'd disable the VCM to rule that out.
S-VCM.
I'm assuming you have the 2016 9-speed Elite with 51k miles? I'd change the ATF even though it's not due until 60k.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
55/60… wonder if that’s where the torque converter locks up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! We did have the ECO mode on. The car is brand new. It’s an Elite with only a few hundred miles on it.
Disabling the VCM means turning off the A OFF button before we start driving?
I will report back once we are driving it again. It’s getting tires!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Thank you! We did have the ECO mode on. The car is brand new. It’s an Elite with only a few hundred miles on it.
Disabling the VCM means turning off the A OFF button before we start driving?
Turning the Econ button off may help. This acts as a governor to conserve fuel.
The VCM deactivates certain cylinders when coasting or while in cruise. On 3rd gens, the back 3 cylinders are deactivated leaving your engine to run on the front 3. This may conserve fuel but very hard on the engine and transmission. It is said that the vehicle should not be running on 3 cylinders when towing, but I don't like the VCM towing or not. 😬
I use S-VCM.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Disabling the VCM requires an aftermarket device that you hook up to your engine so that you are never running on just 3 cylinders which this engine does to save fuel once you are up to cruising speed and not accelerating And yes,,do not use the ECO mode when towing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turning the Econ button off may help. This acts as a governor to conserve fuel.
The VCM deactivates certain cylinders when coasting or while in cruise. On 3rd gens, the back 3 cylinders are deactivated leaving your engine to run on the front 3. This may conserve fuel but very hard on the engine and transmission. It is said that the vehicle should not be running on 3 cylinders when towing, but I don't like the VCM towing or not. 😬
I use S-VCM.
Thanks. If I press that button each time it deactivates it though is that right? Or do I need to install the S-VCM?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I could be wrong here but,,,,the only thing the "Economy" button does (ECO) is change the shift points of the transmission to give you better MPG. It will make your Pilots acceleration feel sluggish. To enable/disable the engines "Start/Stop" feature, I think you have to go into the software through the audio display on your dash.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Black Edition
33 Posts
I could be wrong here but,,,,the only thing the "Economy" button does (ECO) is change the shift points of the transmission to give you better MPG. It will make your Pilots acceleration feel sluggish. To enable/disable the engines "Start/Stop" feature, I think you have to go into the software through the audio display on your dash.
There's no way to permanently turn the start/stop off completely without modding the vehicle. You have to push the button on the center console every time you start the car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The feature I was referring to is the "Auto Idle-Stop". There must be a way to turn this off because my 2017 EX never shuts off at stops and I never have to press any buttons every time I get in to disable it. I am pretty sure I turned this feature off shortly after I got the SUV and I have not had to think about it since.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
The feature I was referring to is the "Auto Idle-Stop". There must be a way to turn this off because my 2017 EX never shuts off at stops and I never have to press any buttons every time I get in to disable it. I am pretty sure I turned this feature off shortly after I got the SUV and I have not had to think about it since.
Obviously, one of the perimeters are not being met, so it stays off. Don't touch nothing.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Black Edition
33 Posts
Right, I know what feature you're referring to. I'm saying there's no way to disable it permanently from a menu or button (unless you're preventing a requirement from being met somehow as Nail mentioned). There's no checkbox to say "Keep this off forever."

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Right, I know what feature you're referring to. I'm saying there's no way to disable it permanently from a menu or button (unless you're preventing a requirement from being met somehow as Nail mentioned). There's no checkbox to say "Keep this off forever."
If your battery is old and low (in charge) enough, then it’s kind of permanently disabled, like mine. Still on the OEM battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As noted, the button on the transmission control has to be pushed every time you start the car in order to turn off the idle-stop feature. I sometimes forget to do that. I do not like the little lag for the engine to start when I am at a stoplight and have forgotten to push the button.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I do not like the little lag for the engine to start when I am at a stoplight and have forgotten to push the button.
That lag-to-start can be disconcerting when an aggressive person or vehicle gets in your personal space in urban areas. It’s probably useful in massive traffic jams on the highway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts