Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Towing a Boat

18199 Views 19 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  BigWylie
Would you tow a boat with your Touring/Elite SUV equipped with an ATF cooler?

The owner's manual say's the maximum tow capacity is 5000 lbs.

The trailer will be a single axle with disc brakes.

What do you folks think about the Pilot's ability to tow a boat?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
I don't own the Touring or Elite, but as long as your below the 5000lbs towing limit you should be ok. I towed with my previous Pilots with no issue and play to tow with my current.

· Banned
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't own the Touring or Elite, but as long as your below the 5000lbs towing limit you should be ok. I towed with my previous Pilots with no issue and play to tow with my current.
Thanks for your response.

How many pounds do you tow? Are you towing a boat? Is your Pilot equipped with a ATF cooler? If so how well do most dealer's handle the installation of this accessory item? Once installed does the ATF cooler provide any additional benefit to the engine/transmission when not towing a boat?

· Registered
15,161 Posts
I used to tow with my 2003. I added the cooler with the two kit when I first got the vehicle even though I did not start to tow for a few years later.

My thoughts is that heat is the enemy of your transmission. The addition of a properly designed cooler helps maintain stable temperatures over a wider range of ambient and load conditions, and therefor should help extend the life of the transmission.

· Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for your response.

How many pounds do you tow? Are you towing a boat? Is your Pilot equipped with a ATF cooler? If so how well do most dealer's handle the installation of this accessory item? Once installed does the ATF cooler provide any additional benefit to the engine/transmission when not towing a boat?
I was towing fully loaded close to the limit with passenger, equipment, and a Bayliner 185BR. Yes to the ATF cooler as it was standard in my 2013 EXL. I towed it 6hrs from NJ to NY to Lake George.

New Pilot will plan to get the ATF cooler and boat will be bigger but not above the limit.

You can see a picture of this on this thread I started awhile back.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-...whos-towing-boats-what-boat-you-towing-4.html

· Registered
213 Posts
Would you tow a boat with your Touring/Elite SUV equipped with an ATF cooler?

The owner's manual say's the maximum tow capacity is 5000 lbs.

The trailer will be a single axle with disc brakes.

What do you folks think about the Pilot's ability to tow a boat?
I only have the EX-L / RES but added the towing and soon the ATF. /I would have no problem pulling a boat. A good rule of thumb I always consider is "Where" are your going to be towing. Is it mostly highway?, Are there going to be many elevation changes? etc. etc. Another thing to consider is what type of boat. Yes, most are aerodynamic enough, but you get a pontoon back there, that is basically a brick in the wind. Another good rule I use is yes your max if 5k, but take into consideration your passengers, cargo, wind drag, etc. into your weight calculations.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,610 Posts
Boats are easy tows because of the aerodynamic shape, don't be afraid to tow up to the limit and be sure to use premium fuel.
Agree. A chart from first-gen MDX owner's manual illustrates this point nicely.
Unfortunately, I ended up replacing rear shock absorbers about every year I towed a roughly 4500 pound boat/trailer with my 2003 MDX cuz it didn't like the tongue weight. No such problem with 2011 or 2012 Pilots. Those 2nd gen Pilots were the best tow vehicles I have had in a long time.

I haven't towed anything that massive with my 2016 Pilot Touring, and I don't really plan to cuz I don't own that boat anymore. I do tow lighter trailers with no problems. I would have no worries about towing up to the limit with the 6-speed tranny, but I'm not sure how I feel about the 9-speed. ATF cooler is a must for that. Is the 9-speed ATF cooler available now? It was on backorder. I recommend HondaCare warranty if you decide to be bold.

Here is the tow capacity chart for first-gen MDX:

View attachment Towing.pdf

[ I'm not sure why the pdf chart is a download link rather than an image. Take-home message is: most boats are relatively easy to tow due to aerodynamics, but passenger and cargo load counts too! ]

· Banned
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I towed it 6hrs from NJ to NY to Lake George.
I live in the upstate Albany NY region and this is the lake I'd like to tow a boat to, about (1) hour north up the Northway I-87.

I do not own a boat yet, but have been considering a purchase for many years.

I'd like to buy a 24' bow rider but the weight w/trailer might easily exceed the Pilot's (Elite AWD) towing capacity.

What do you guy's think of buying a 19' bow rider, is it too small?

· Registered
346 Posts
I live in the upstate Albany NY region and this is the lake I'd like to tow a boat to, about (1) hour north up the Northway I-87.

I'd like to buy a 24' bow rider but the weight w/trailer might easily exceed the Pilot's (Elite AWD) towing capacity.

To small for what. It's all relative to your type of boating. 18-19 foot bow rider for towing should be no issues.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
There is some great advice in the owners manual on towing. Recommended reading. A properly adjusted WDH and brake controller pay dividends for your safety and the safety of other road users.

· Registered
536 Posts

I have an 18' bow rider and it's been plenty big for my family of 5. If you do need (or just want) the 24' that is a lot of boat. I would consider a full-sized 4WD pickup for that tow.

· Registered
1 Posts
So do you guys think a properly equipped AWD Pilot can tow a 19' foot boat like Yamaha's AR192, with a dry trailer weight of 2935 lbs., safely?
Absolutely! I tow an 18' Inboard / Outboard comfortably. Boat weight stats are dry weight, without fuel & gear. You are well within the Pilot's towing capacity.
I was under the impression that vehicles with a factory tow hitch came equipped with a tow package; i.e. Auxiliary transmission cooler and sometimes a higher differential gear ratio.
I quickly learned that only the Touring model comes with trailer wiring. Does it have an auxillary transmission cooler?

· Banned
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely! I tow an 18' Inboard / Outboard comfortably. Boat weight stats are dry weight, without fuel & gear. You are well within the Pilot's towing capacity.
I was under the impression that vehicles with a factory tow hitch came equipped with a tow package; i.e. Auxiliary transmission cooler and sometimes a higher differential gear ratio.
I quickly learned that only the Touring model comes with trailer wiring. Does it have an auxillary transmission cooler?
No, my AWD Pilot is not equipped for towing. It looks as if I'd have to invest ~$1000 to add a towing package to my SUV.

· Registered
2 Posts
Those who want to tow boats can also go for hiring shipping services of boat transport companies, so that boat can be towed to any location safely and hassle free. Owner of the boat even don't have to worry about boat safety, these shipping companies provide the best service. Visit here.

· Banned
2 Posts
There is simple rule which i know Don’t tow an unbraked trailer which, when fully laden, weighs more than three-quarters of the weight of your car or truck. Rather you would look at ship you boat using professional service.
Most standard SUVs and pick-up trucks can tow boats up to twenty-five feet in length

· Registered
5 Posts

RESPONSE: I am a 40+yr boater, I have owned a small 16 Whaler (2200 lbs= boat/motor/trailer)style boat, and towed this easilly with my last 5 leased Odyssey's, and more recently, our 2020 Pilot. it was under 3500lbs and loaded with 5 occupants,towed very easily.

In Sept, I upgraded to a 3300lb boat/800lbs trailer,500 motor and 92 gallon tank(552 [email protected]/gas gal)TOTAL:5000lbs!
The 6 speed Pilot, with the added ATF cooler towed with no trouble at all. I was nicely surprised.
Boat Ramps, hills, were no trouble at all.

This is considered a 'light' 21 foot bowrider(Boston Whaler Ventura 21), most inboard/outboards are far heavier. Be very clear of the weight distribution ( including passengers) if you plan to get an inboard bowrider.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.