Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy, Piloteers!

I have recently purchased an 05 EX-L and we absolutely love it. The one thing it didn't have is a tow kit, so I am going to install an aftermarket one myself...
The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find a harness kit that will fit it online. The standard "Curt" harness is said to fit the LX and EX but not EXL, so I am here to ask if anyone has any insight on this..

The classIII hitch was easy to find and will be cake to install, but the harness doesn't seem to be so, does anyone know of a product that will assuredly fit my Pilot?

Or any general advice? Honda said that one should install an atf cooler, if there's any insight on that as well, welcome to share.

Thanks!

The reciever:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Welcome @Fairwhether ...check out retailer.com for the hitch and wiring harness. It was plug&play for my ‘04 Pilot. One change from the instructions was to make sure the connector remained outside under the bumper for access rather than stored in the inner cubby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, I will order that harness, Thanks fellow Piloteers.
Also their hitch is cheaper, and I don't have to use Amazon, a little less money for Jeff damn Bezos, so much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just pulling a 10ft trailer with a couple honda dirtbikes, so that should be a 7 pin, I'll check though, thanks.

Any insight on what Honda said about installing an atf(?) cooler. They priced the job with parts and labour at 2000$ but it included that. Now, I'm not planning on getting near the tow limit, but thought I'd see if yall had anything to say on that.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,726 Posts
Personally I'm fond of ATF coolers if you are doing anything other than normal driving, but as long as you are under the weight limit, drive cautiously and do proper maintenance on time then I doubt it would be an issue.

As for price, even in Canadian money that is a ridiculous price. An OEM cooler can be had for $223.36 or $294.25 Canadian. 😀 You should be able to have one installed by a competent independent mechanic for < 500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I'm fond of ATF coolers if you are doing anything other than normal driving, but as long as you are under the weight limit, drive cautiously and do proper maintenance on time then I doubt it would be an issue.

As for price, even in Canadian money that is a ridiculous price. An OEM cooler can be had for $223.36 or $294.25 Canadian. 😀 You should be able to have one installed by a competent independent mechanic for < 500.
It was the qoute for hitch, harness, cooler, and istall. But still high. That's dealership pricing, though, Honda will do the best job, but I can't afford it, especially when installing the hitch is just bolts, and my bro-by-law is an amatuer mech:)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,726 Posts
Yeah the hitch is simple to install as is the harness. At least on the new ones it is. Pretty much 6 bolts and plug and play. The Cooler is a little more difficult. The whole job here in the states, Hitch, harness and cooler usually runs in the $1200 area, around $1500 Canadian.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Many first gen subframes are compromised because of rust! Please make sure that towing is safe for your Pilot. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts