Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot Touring AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the OEM tow electrical harness and tow hitch on our 2016 pilot touring. 1 of the 6 pre-tapped bolt holes were not tapped and in fact appeared to be the diameter of the bolt, i.e. I could slide the bolt in without any resistance. How could this happen? Has anyone seen this? Perhaps one of the assembly line robots didn't have its morning coffee...

Anyway the car is already out of warranty as I'm installing this hitch late, but I assume I'll have to take this to the stealership and hopefully there will be some fix free of charge as this is a manufacture defect. I didn't see any way of putting a nut on the top side of the undercarriage (bolts are inserted from the ground up) without pulling all of the interior panels out of the trunk bed. Maybe it could be welded too?

Fortunately it's a middle bolt (3 on each side of the hitch frame), so the frame is well supported otherwise.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
If the std size bolt just slips into the hole, it is either stripped completely or it was drilled too large initially. Easiest repair would be to go to the next size larger dia bolt and rethread the hole to match. Easy DIY but you would need drills and taps, so it may be cheaper to go to a shop that installs trailer hitches, unless you can persuade the Honda Dealership to cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot Touring AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the std size bolt just slips into the hole, it is either stripped completely or it was drilled too large initially. Easiest repair would be to go to the next size larger dia bolt and rethread the hole to match. Easy DIY but you would need drills and taps, so it may be cheaper to go to a shop that installs trailer hitches, unless you can persuade the Honda Dealership to cover it under warranty.
Yes it appears to be drilled larger than intended. Curious how this could happen. Tapping with a larger bolt is a good suggestion, which I might end up doing if I can't get Honda to pay. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm with @PLT383 ... weld nut was not installed. So you should not try to tap something larger in there as you would only be grabbing on the thin frame metal (say 1/16" thick) and not on a proper fastener (the nut has about 5/16ths of thread). I would start with the Honda dealer, and then a weld shop after that.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot Touring AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with @PLT383 ... weld nut was not installed. So you should not try to tap something larger in there as you would only be grabbing on the thin frame metal (say 1/16" thick) and not on a proper fastener (the nut has about 5/16ths of thread). I would start with the Honda dealer, and then a weld shop after that.
Great thanks for your advice.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,446 Posts
If weld nut is missing, thats a big disappointment to you. Only way to safely fix that would be to cut out a section around each hole, weld a nut on the back of each hole, weld each piece back where it came from, paint, underseal and install hitch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Has nobody installed a hitch from etrailer.com on a vehicle that does not have factory weld nuts???? No factory weld nuts uses the fish wire method to install the hitch utilizing the factory holes. I still say have a look/ask UHaul before cutting/welding anything.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Has nobody installed a hitch from etrailer.com on a vehicle that does not have factory weld nuts???? No factory weld nuts uses the fish wire method to install the hitch utilizing the factory holes. I still say have a look/ask UHaul before cutting/welding anything.
Agreed! I’ve used the fish wire method on my ‘05 CRV to install flange nuts successfully into the frame to install a hitch. I would not be interested in cutting or welding weld-nuts into the frame especially since it’s only one missing nut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts