Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation, Black
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first Pilot (2012 Touring, 86k miles). The touring model has 2 key fobs that are programmed for the Driver 1 and 2 settings. I have noticed that the power tail gate does not function when the Driver 1 fob is in use.

When the button is held on the fob, I can hear the PTG unlatch but, it does not open. It also will not open with the button on the driver door. The gate will unlatch and open manually with the handle on the outside but, the internal button on the door to close it does not work.

I have gone through the custom settings to make sure those buttons should work whether the doors are locked are not, and have also made sure the doors are unlocked anyway with no luck. What is more strange is that when the Driver 2 fob is being used, the PTG buttons all function just fine (fob, door and gate). Additionally, the lock/unlock funtions on fob 1 also function normally, it is just the gate button.

Has anyone experienced this before and, more importantly, been able to correct it? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I tried testing this again and found that the driver 1 keyfob is actually opening the glass on the lift gate and not the door latch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, further research has determined that the driver 1 keyfob had been replaced with a keyfob from a lower trim model that is designed to open the glass. The buttons on the vehicle were not working because when I had pushed the gate closed (or had it open manually), the glass was still open so these switches were defeated.

Goes to show how important wording and manuals can be!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks for sharing back your findings. I was scratching my head, trying to figure out what might be causing your symptom, came up empty. We'll add this the knowledge base.

OTOH, I didn't realize that the receiver or tailgate controller for the non-base-trim models even include the option of remotely opening the glass instead of the hatch. Sounds like the door card and the remote on mine are both missing a button!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't either. The owners manual seems to suggest that just tapping the gate button on the driver door or fob should open the PTG, whereas holding the button should open the gate itself but, I have not found this to be true in my case. I suppose I could have misread it but, I also think opening the glass remotely is less important to me than the gate so, I'll probably leave that issue alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts