Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While stopped at a traffic light on interstate I heard screeching tires and knew the sound of metal might follow....it did...I was impacted in the rear by a mitsubishi mirage rental car. The driver's cell phone rang and he looked down to try to get it off of the clip on his belt and he got my number!!! Thats the bad news.
The good news is how the Pilot fared. The Mitsu was practically totaled. Hood was destroyed along with grill, fan ate the radiator, fluids poured out, etc. It was a mess. When I walked to the back of my Pilot and saw his car I was afraid to look at mine. The gray plastic bumper trim was popped loose on the left side and the plastic fastners were gone. Some paint scratches on lower bumper but all in all I couldn't believe how little damage was done. I will follow up after I get a body shop to appraise it.
JWeems
Z3pilot

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wow! Glad you had the Pilot and hope he had the Collision Damage Waiver!

I'm so relieved to hear the rear end of the Pilot maintained its structure. When childen are in that third row, they are not very far from the bumper.

Take it back to Honda for the work. They will be the ones best equiped to know how the mechanicals in the rear of the car are.

Glad you are okay.

·
Registered
407 Posts
John Weems ,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you and your passengers, if any, made it out OK. I, also, was rear-ended by a another driver . I believe to cost to fix mine was a little over $1000. Not too sure, the bill was paid by the other insurance company. When asked why it happened, the woman said she was admiring my brand new SUV. Yeah, it was two days old when it happened. In your case, with cell phones everywhere, this type of accident will continue to happen.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Weems

Do you have a trailer hitch back there????

I remember when a woman in a Cadillac Catera slammed into the rear end of my Ford Expedition, she caught the edge of my trailer hitch and it wasn't even funny the outcome of that.

My Expedition had a scratch on the bottom side of the hitch and her car had to be towed away with damage similar to the car that smacked you.

I have to second what "my3kids" said, take it to your Honda dealer and have them give your PILOT a complete look-see and if they have their own body/paint shop, let them do it all.

Once you have your PILOT looked at, make sure to let us know what they say about any or NOT ANY damage to your ride.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
407 Posts
my3kids said:
Take it back to Honda for the work. They will be the ones best equiped to know how the mechanicals in the rear of the car are.
my3kids,

Does your Honda dealer do body work? I was under the impression that Honda normally refers body work to preferred body shops in their area. Sorry, John Weems. I don't mean to drift but just curious.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I *thought* they did the work, but maybe not??? When I had a (sshhh....Chrysler van) they did do the body work themselves. I would have the Honda dealer coordinate everything, even if they don't actually do the work....that way the mechanicals are checked by them and the vehicle's warranty remains on the affected parts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Weems, Glad to hear that you are fine.

However, this thread and a crash that I saw on the highway yesterday between a SUV and a sedan (sedan's front was totally crushed, back of SUV looked barely scratched) just made me realize how much more dangerous driving a car has become. While I have always assumed that I would eventually replace my sedan with another, this has given me pause for thought...

Now whether SUVs themselves are contributing to making the roads more dangerous for cars, that's another issue...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on Weems/cell phone/collesion
I had my pilot checked out and there was no mechanical damage whatever. Total estimates of repair is $475. Rear bumper cover(grey) six plastic grommets and small area for paint and clear coat. JWeems....Z3pilot

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had an Accord rear-end my Camry. The way the Accord dipped during braking made it slip a little below my bumper. My muffler was toast and I had to repaint the bumper, but that was all. The Accord had all the same front-end damage listed above.

So, I think most rear-end collisions turn out this way. But it is good to know that the Pilot did well in the crash.

Also, I was told by a Durango owner that adding the hitch gave him essentially an extra crossbar in his frame. I'm not sure if the Pilot needs it because it looks like the bumper closes the last rung on the ladder (so to speak).

Anyway, I have pics of the Accord vs. Carmy if anyone wants to see.

Ta-Taa!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that one of the biggest reasons why the offending vehicles in rear-ending crashes suffer so much more damage is that the front ends are built to suffer the brunt of the blow so that the driver doesn't get much of it. Conversely, the back ends don't need to absorb as much, otherwise more of the momentum would be transferred to it.

Am I making ANY sense?!?:confused: :20: :bonk: :crazyeye:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts