Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where to buy Dupli Color spray paint? Or other matching paint for Honda cars?

My Pilot hood was dinged by a large object, I need to put putty to fix a 1/2"x1/2" area, but I like to buy spray paint, I do not think the touch up bottle paint will do the job. Dupli Color has the Taffeta White paint on their website, but none of their publish retailer in my town carry the particular can.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I still have three small cans of taffeta white front my old Accord 91 so you decide.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
HKuo said:
Does any one know where to buy Dupli Color spray paint? Or other matching paint for Honda cars?

My Pilot hood was dinged by a large object, I need to put putty to fix a 1/2"x1/2" area, but I like to buy spray paint, I do not think the touch up bottle paint will do the job. Dupli Color has the Taffeta White paint on their website, but none of their publish retailer in my town carry the particular can.
If its bigger than a scratch have some paint mixed to match.
Touchup is close but not a perfect match since it is one step, and the factory paint is two (maybe 3) step.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question: What's the difference, technically or otherwise, between "Pearl" and "Metallic" paint on the Pilot? Does one fade faster than the other? I hear the term "clear coat" used sometimes and I assumed that "clear coat" was something "clear" put on as a final finish to give the paint job a more durable lasting quality, something that didn't require waxing as often. Never really thought about it until now. :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dinged Pilot

I think they way you are going about fixing the ding, it will look worse than the ding itself! Trying to match some of these colors is very difficult. I would suggest taking it to a good body shop and get an estimate. Just trying to help and NO, I don't own or work for a body shop!

·
Registered
483 Posts
HKuo said:

This is a repair that I guarantee is going to look worse when you finish. there is no way you will be able to make a decent "blend" around the affected area. Your blend will be "dry" looking at best and thats providing the color is perfect. White believe it or not is a tough color to match, there is thousands of variations.

I wouldn't ever recommend someone spraying a body panel with spray paint, not even the bottom of the door below the body side mldg., let alone the hood. Its worth a few bucks ( unless of course we are talking about a Chyrsler product ) to pay a body shop to do it correctly the first time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Touch up spray paint

N_Jay said:

If its bigger than a scratch have some paint mixed to match.
Touchup is close but not a perfect match since it is one step, and the factory paint is two (maybe 3) step.
Its not so much as the color is closer to a match when you have the paint mixed by a body shop (because they normally will be off a little as well due to mfgs. variations through there own production) it has more to due with the thickness of the paint. Mixed paint tend to be thinner than bottled touch up paint.

If you had 2 exact colors but one was thicker than the other, the thicker color would appear darker than the other. This is due from the metal flakes will "sink" more in thicker paint, showing only the color without the metal flakes to give brighten the color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts