Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my new Pilot less than a week. Went to take my daughter to the doctor today and noticed this paint chip on the curve towards the back bumper. No dings, scratches or anything. It looks like somebody rubbed up against it with something. I thought it might be rubber so have tried compound and WD40 already to no avail. I ordered the touch up paint but should I think of having it repainted since it’s not that small. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've bought paint from Colorite. They make paint to the spec of factory paints. It is the same color.

But that little scratch is not that big, I used to freak out about stuff like that. Now, I see one like that as insurance against more!

Like, the first one hurts, but once you have one, you already have one and survived it, so now you're fine.

Just see it as a love tap.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Touch-up paint will probably work best.

HINT: I NEVER use the small brush included inside the touch-up paint container. The brush will apply too much paint.

Shake well and get a small wooden toothpick. Use the toothpick to dab a small amount into the area & fill in to the edges. Your damage may take two coats.

Don't rush and use very little paint each time. After your done, you will be the only person to know the fix is there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also I want to say again, I hope I didn't sound like I was dismissing your thought of wanting to keep your brand new car perfect.

I can understand that - as I said, I was like that, with my '08 Mazda which was the first (and only!) car I bought new. Even a little blemish feels bad when your car is brand new. And it's great that you want to keep it that way.

My Mazda was my family's daily driver (we only had 2 kids then!) and we lived in a small place with a tight driveway. It was only 2 weeks old when my spouse brushed the trash cans as she drove out, and put a few little scratches in the paint. I was pretty upset. Then a week or two later another driver backed into it. I was furious! Then a couple years later the car was in a wreck caused by another driver on the freeway at 70mph. I couldn't believe it but the shop repaired it, didn't just write it off. Then a car backed out of a spot at Target, and banged into me just as I was passing by. She's been through all that and I love that car! I told my daughter who was 3 at the time that she could have that car when she started to drive. So I have to get it through a couple more years at least! I hope to keep her much longer than that, but who knows if my kids start driving her.

Anyway! I hope you get that scratch fixed ok, the advice above is good! You can apply it yourself, if it's on the bumper as it looks, it's just plastic and if you're very conservative with how you apply it, just a tiny bit at a time, keep it clean and apply it slowly, you'll make it disappear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I want to say again, I hope I didn't sound like I was dismissing your thought of wanting to keep your brand new car perfect.

I can understand that - as I said, I was like that, with my '08 Mazda which was the first (and only!) car I bought new. Even a little blemish feels bad when your car is brand new. And it's great that you want to keep it that way.

My Mazda was my family's daily driver (we only had 2 kids then!) and we lived in a small place with a tight driveway. It was only 2 weeks old when my spouse brushed the trash cans as she drove out, and put a few little scratches in the paint. I was pretty upset. Then a week or two later another driver backed into it. I was furious! Then a couple years later the car was in a wreck caused by another driver on the freeway at 70mph. I couldn't believe it but the shop repaired it, didn't just write it off. Then a car backed out of a spot at Target, and banged into me just as I was passing by. She's been through all that and I love that car! I told my daughter who was 3 at the time that she could have that car when she started to drive. So I have to get it through a couple more years at least! I hope to keep her much longer than that, but who knows if my kids start driving her.

Anyway! I hope you get that scratch fixed ok, the advice above is good! You can apply it yourself, if it's on the bumper as it looks, it's just plastic and if you're very conservative with how you apply it, just a tiny bit at a time, keep it clean and apply it slowly, you'll make it disappear.
Thank you. I think I’ll follow the advice of slowly applying it. I’m not super upset as my daughter is only 8 months and I’m sure there will plenty more scratches/dings/etc to come, just annoyed it happened in the very first week of ownership. Also, I’m not sure where to call it - had it been the back section of the car, I’d have called it the bumper but it’s right where the Pilot curves between the driver’s side and the back section. Hopefully that’s plastic too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A toothpick would probably work pretty well, but its hard to beat the right tool for the job.

Any auto paint store will sell touch-up applicators. Some places call them micro-brushes. They look like tiny q-tips, and allow you to easily control flowing in a tiny amount of paint. They will come in handy when you get a rock chip, too.

Even with the applicators, you won't get a perfectly smooth surface. Use a Pink Pearl eraser as a sanding block, and keep some 600 grit paper really wet. Go easy and it will smooth out perfectly. A little compound after that will restore the shine.

Learning to do decent touch-up work makes keeping a car looking good a lot easier. It just takes some courage the first time, and patience after that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Make sure you really degrease the wound to prevent any residual WD40 from causing the touch up to lift off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts