6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 V6
oil/filter
trans fluid/filter?
brake fluid
power steering fluid
antifreeze changed
just trying to get an idea at what I'd be looking at.............(I know its time for oil/trans fluids for sure. got 190K on it,great service history. But don't see tranny,brake or PS fluids changed on there. Trans fluid looks clean and new on stick,but don't wanna take any chances)
thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
291 Posts
All up (and including VTM4 and transfer case fluid changes which you didn't include but would typically be done in a list like this), I'd guess you'll be looking at around a grand at a dealer.

BTW, Honda doesn't spec any power steering fluid changes, although some do them.

- Mark

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Rates vary depending on where you live. Your list would run somewhere around $600 at my local dealer. Why not just call the dealership/mechanic and get an estimate?

If your Pilot is AWD you will also need to add rear differential and transfer case fluids changed.

Tranny does not have a serviceable filter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
These jobs are the poster children for independent mechanics or DIY. Can anyone cite a compelling reason to pay a dealer for fluid replacements?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
There is a higher probability the dealer will use the correct fluid. That’s the only reason why I could justify dealer fluid changes vs. independent mechanic.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oil change on a pilot is a 5min DIY w/o a need to jack up the car.
AFT change takes about as long. No need to jack up the car. As long as you can open the filler plug. It takes a good 1/2 drive cheater bar.
Rear diff fluid only requires a 4' long 1/2 hose and a funnel. It is a 10 min DIY w/o a need to jack up the car.
Bleeding brakes can be done by any mechanic of a 1 hour DIY. You need a jack and helper or a power bleeder (ebay, Amazon).

I would never pay the dealer rate for that!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I’d love to see someone do a proper oil change on a Pilot in 5 minutes. Even the fine folks at Jiffy Lube or a similar well respected quick oil change establishment (sarcasm inserted here) take longer than that.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had all the fluids, timing belt, water pump and plugs replaced at my friendly independent mechanic for about $950. I did this at both 100K and 200K miles. 237K on the odometer as of today.

Find a local guy who can trust, it's the only way you can afford to drive an old car

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Find a local guy who can trust, it's the only way you can afford to drive an old car
Unless you're an accomplished and well-equipped DIYer, you betcha. Finding a competent, trusted mechanic feels as good as finding a good doctor.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I’d love to see someone do a proper oil change on a Pilot in 5 minutes. Even the fine folks at Jiffy Lube or a similar well respected quick oil change establishment (sarcasm inserted here) take longer than that.?
i dont even need a jack just reach under with the pan and drop the oil .. I always turn the wheel to the left just prior to grab the filter.. Only time It goes past 5 minutes is when I do the drip till it stops method ..anything more than that would be from the bolt not being able to open

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't even turn the wheel to the left :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
yah well lately i havent either gotten too lazy when i thought about it .

·
Registered
146 Posts
For the past 7 years I've been using a trusted independent mechanic that specializes in Honda/Acura models (the owner's wife even drives a Pilot).

Last year I had them change the coolant, VTM-4 fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and power steering fluid in my 04 Pilot and they use OEM fluids/filters for everything except obviously the brake fluid. Total cost was ~$250 for parts, labor, shop supplies, and sales tax.

The last time I was at the local Honda dealer for airbag inflator recall work, they wanted $99 each just do do the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid service. Previous quotes for brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant changes were also $100+, so having this stuff done at the dealer would have easily cost me at least twice as much as my indie mechanic charged me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
08 V6
oil/filter
trans fluid/filter?
brake fluid
power steering fluid
antifreeze changed
just trying to get an idea at what I'd be looking at.............(I know its time for oil/trans fluids for sure. got 190K on it,great service history. But don't see tranny,brake or PS fluids changed on there. Trans fluid looks clean and new on stick,but don't wanna take any chances)
thanks alot guys!
If you want the thing to last 400K miles (like my '03 has, and still going strong with the same engine and AT replaced by me at 278K mi. with a low-mileage Japanese unit sourced through eBay - despite regular AT fluid replacements every 50K mi. - that's just how it is with most Honda ATs, folks), replace the engine oil every 3K mi. (I live in dusty AZ, but I still use Walmart's cheapest oil and filter, 'cause I change it in short intervals), change (never FLUSH, just spill and fill) the AT fluid every 50K mi, replace the intake air filter every other fourth oil change (or once a year), change the coolant every 100K, change brake fluid every 75K (just suck it out of the reservoir w/a turkey baster from the $ store and drop new fluid in, you'll get 95% of it), change the rear differential fluid every 100K mi, and no, Honda doesn't spec power steering fluid intervals, but the PS pump creates the highest pressure of any component under the hood, so if that fluid gets really dirty, it acts as a cutting fluid and can hasten the need to replace the rack, which is a bitch of a job on any modern FWD vehicle, Pilots included. I had to replace my rack at 350K, did it myself and saved $$$, but I don't look forward to doing it again. BTW, all the fluids are easy DIY projects, don't waste the dough paying some shop (or God forbid, the DEALER) to do it. P.S.: AT and PS fluids MUST be proprietary Honda purchased from the dealer or on-line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
08 V6
oil/filter
trans fluid/filter?
brake fluid
power steering fluid
antifreeze changed
thanks alot guys!
Whatever you do, do not let the mechanic "flush" the system. Honda recommends warming up the engine/tranny, turning off the engine, then draining the tranny. Clean the metallic particles off the magnet on the drain plug. Refill the tranny - takes about 3 1/2 quarts.

This replaces about 40% of the tranny fluid, so do this every third engine oil change or every other for the first two or three if you haven't been keeping up with it. It is a simple job but can be kind of messy.

You also need to make sure the mechanic uses only the Honda ATF, "DW-1" (I think).

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
You also need to make sure the mechanic uses only the Honda ATF, "DW-1" (I think).
Lotta folks here (myself included) are happily using Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Redline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lotta folks here (myself included) are happily using Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Redline.

Nice to know you are happy with it. I read in other places that the shifting was different with fluids other than DW-1. I have a 2007 Pilot with 173k, another (2003) with 186k. Kind of skittish about making a change given the age and miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts