Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a gallon of "Valvoline MaxLife Dexron / Mercon" from Walmart for 16.89. Performed the drain and fill using this gallon. The shudder was immediately better, happened less often. Then drove it this morning no shudder at all so far (drove for about 25 minutes, around the city). Definitely made an improvement and was a TON cheaper than the Honda stuff ($8-9 per quart).

The ATF that came out definitely had a darker color, did not smell burnt though. At least it's finally not milky like it was back when this ordeal started.

Wondering if I should do another drain and refill soon? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the Valvoline suggestion!

·
Registered
228 Posts
yes. you should do it at least 2-3 more times with some driving in between.

i changed mine until what came out looked just like what was going in and i have no shudder whatsoever anymore.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I just ordered a case of DW-1 and will be attempting to flush to get rid of the tranny shudder. I had it once back when I had a little over 120,000 miles, then it started again this past May. I had a mechanic I know replace the 3/4 pressure switches and change the tranny fluid. It did help out, but never completely went away. I recently looked over the service order and found out that he used BG3124, which with a little research shows it's compatibal with ZF1. Although this was not a flush and from reading on the forums here it sounds as if everyone is having more luck with just flushing using the DW-1.

We currently have 175,000 miles on our 04' EX-L, and so far other than the tranny everything else is strong.

I'll be sure to update the results of the flush once I'm done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wondered what happened after flushing.

My 2003 Pilot is about to hit 180K miles. I noticed when returning from trip to Tahoe about 10 days ago that it seemed to have a minor jerking two or three times in a row a couple of times a few miles apart while coasting downhill with gear selector in 3rd. It was not really a shudder, but a very minor jerking like torque converter was locking up and unlocking. I have never changed the 3/4 pressure switches and did a nearly 3,700 mile trip to Canada last winter and an almost 3,300 mile trip there this winter (got flashing D one time on 2nd trip and it cleared with a re-start and never returned).

I'm wondering what controls the torque converter lock-up as I'm concerned that this could be in the transmission controls and not inside the transmission so that even if my transmission eventually fails and is replaced, could I still have this issue? I'm also wondering how long my transmission may have before failing and leaving me stranded. Note that my transmission fluid was flushed about 2K miles/2 months ago when I returned from this year's trip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have never changed the 3/4 pressure switches and did a nearly 3,700 mile trip to Canada last winter and an almost 3,300 mile trip there this winter (got flashing D one time on 2nd trip and it cleared with a re-start and never returned).

Change them asap, they are cheap. Cured my flashing D and seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Instead of again hearing to change the 3rd/4th gear pressure switches, I was hoping to hear from @poorboy08 who said on 10/26/2015 that "I'll be sure to update the results of the flush once I'm done."

Or I was hoping someone could tell me what they do or if/how they work with torque converter. I did have a shop pull a 4th gear pressure switch code and will be taking it into a highly rated transmission shop that does a lot of work on Hondas on Monday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004, $100k miles, had the shudder and it was diagnosed as the torque converter. Quotes in Nov. 2015: $1500-$1700 now to replace torque converter or $2500-$2700 later to rebuild transmission (dealer). I only have done a fluid changes with Tones added and the ride is much better. I'll have to take other's advise and look into frequent changes of ATF and maybe switch from Honda brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SSSOOOoooooooo...I have not completed the flush YET! :) Since we don't drive it that much I've just been beating on it from time to time and tbh it hasn't gotten any worse. We are planning a vacation in late June and I'm going to go through the flush process here towards the end of May. Sorry I don't have more detailed info.

Instead of again hearing to change the 3rd/4th gear pressure switches, I was hoping to hear from @poorboy08 who said on 10/26/2015 that "I'll be sure to update the results of the flush once I'm done."

Or I was hoping someone could tell me what they do or if/how they work with torque converter. I did have a shop pull a 4th gear pressure switch code and will be taking it into a highly rated transmission shop that does a lot of work on Hondas on Monday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So over the weekend I finished up with 2 changes of the tranny fluid with about 50 miles in-between changes.

First off, on the initial drain the fluid was filthy-McNasty. Was grayish in color and almost milky like. I got about 3.5 quarts out of the drain. I filled her up with 3.5 quarts, drove about 5 miles or so and went through all of the gears came back and verified fluid was at optimal level.

Second drain looked MUCH better, fluid was dark, but still had that nice red color. This time I got about 4.5 quarts from the drain. I filled her up, drove and verified fluid level.

I can say that so far everything is much much better, although I can't say the shudder is completely gone. I have noticed it on 2 occasions, but it much less frequent than before.

We are going to drive it like it is and on the next oil change I will change the tranny fluid again...I might have just enough for one more, otherwise I'll have to order some more DW-1.

Right now she has 193,000miles on her.

·
Registered
653 Posts
........First off, on the initial drain the fluid was filthy-McNasty. Was grayish in color and almost milky like....................
If this is the case, you may want to read up on the ATF/coolant cross-contamination issue with some Honda Pilot. Search and read up on it quick and take action soon. It may just save you the cost of a tranny replacement. Or stop driving the vehicle until it checks out.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts