Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of a 2010 Honda Pilot. I previously owned a 2004 Honda Pilot.

I am getting vibration/shuttering in my 2010 Pilot between 35-50 Mph around 1500-1800 RPM's.

I suspect a faulty torque converter. I had the same problem in my 2004 Honda but not until about 60,000 miles.

It's hard to convince the dealers that they have a torque converter problem as no codes show up. I am convinced this is it. The problem was solved with a rebuilt transmission in my 2004 Pilot. The proof was in the pudding! I dread going through this again. The plan right now is to have a Honda tech look at it in January.

Any advice or TSB information would be helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some have said changing the EGR can help but like I said the problem was corrected in my previous Pilot by a rebuilt transmission.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Is it specific to low temperatures? Only ask because this seems a lot like something I'm experiencing, and I'm almost certain it's just a characteristic of the VCM in low temp conditions.

In my case, it's very mild and goes away instantly with a blip of the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
temperature not an issue with Torque converter shutter

No, the temperature doesn't seem to matter with my torque converter shutter. I followed the link and what it sounds like to me is that everyone is having torque converter issues.

Right now the plan is for a Tech from Honda to look at my vehicle.

·
Administrator
15,403 Posts
Just to eliminate another variable. Is your CC on when this happens? Are you overriding the CC with the accelerator? Is something eg hill causing a shift down?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am sorry toear that u r having problems with your new HONDA Pilot. But your problem sounds like the problem I have with my 2006. It hesitates or shakes when my foot is lightly on the gas around 28-32 mph. If I slam the gas pedal while its shaking, thn shakiness is gone.
Some people say its the EGR, some say its the pressure switch for the 3rd n 4th gears. But all agree that this leads to a tranny issue where te torque converter fails. I know my car is getting worse. I will trade in the car and get me a Toyota. I will never get another Honda again, unless we are talking about a Civic (or a small 4 cylinder).
I might wait and see from some members wether changing the pressure switches make a difference. I know the switches can fix delays in shifting and some even say that bad pressure switches can lead to a failure in the torque cnverter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the owner of a 2010 Honda Pilot. I previously owned a 2004 Honda Pilot.

I am getting vibration/shuttering in my 2010 Pilot between 35-50 Mph around 1500-1800 RPM's.

I suspect a faulty torque converter. I had the same problem in my 2004 Honda but not until about 60,000 miles.

It's hard to convince the dealers that they have a torque converter problem as no codes show up. I am convinced this is it. The problem was solved with a rebuilt transmission in my 2004 Pilot. The proof was in the pudding! I dread going through this again. The plan right now is to have a Honda tech look at it in January.

Any advice or TSB information would be helpful.
I had the same issue w my 2010. I found a great fix, it's called a VTM tuner ll (2). $125 takes 1 min to install, and takes out the ECO. I had oil consumption problems, engine rap, and Everytime it kicked into ECO, it had a shutter(transmission/torque converter) The rap is noticably quieter (now it sounds like a normal Honda 3.5) That tuner eliminated those issues completely. The tunner has the option to wire in a switch so u can turn the ECO option on or off. I'm averaging 16/17 mph w the tunner on(all 6 cylinders working all the time) haven't installed my on/off switch yet, but the truck runs and drives a lot better.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I had the same issue w my 2010. I found a great fix, it's called a VTM tuner ll (2). $125 takes 1 min to install, and takes out the ECO. I had oil consumption problems, engine rap, and Everytime it kicked into ECO, it had a shutter(transmission/torque converter) The rap is noticably quieter (now it sounds like a normal Honda 3.5) That tuner eliminated those issues completely. The tunner has the option to wire in a switch so u can turn the ECO option on or off. I'm averaging 16/17 mph w the tunner on(all 6 cylinders working all the time) haven't installed my on/off switch yet, but the truck runs and drives a lot better.
S-VCM is under $100 and is doing as you stated above. This, and the switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF has eliminated the growl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts