Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Do you top off the gas tank when you fill up?

• Yes

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the Pilot up for the first time last night.
I am curious to see who tops off their gas tanks and who doesn't, and why.
If you do top it off how full have you gotten your tank.
About how many gal above 19.3 can you get.

·
Registered
483 Posts
pe_teach_12 said:
I filled the Pilot up for the first time last night.
I am curious to see who tops off their gas tanks and who doesn't, and why.
If you do top it off how full have you gotten your tank.
About how many gal above 19.3 can you get.
Well I don't top off due to some pumps will fill up with gas around the nozzle and it usally drips down the side of the vehicle under the "gas neck", besides, how much more gas can you actually squeeze in your tank with this method.

Its kind of like the guy at the crosswalk who pushes the button over and over thinking the light will change faster, it doesn't really help and if he really thought about it he probably wouldn't do it. The same thing for "topping off", just how much more can you actually get in the tank, maybe a tenth of a gallon?

Welcome aboard pe_teach_12 :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I do, but not for the reason of getting in more fuel. What I normally do is round the total amount due to the closest $.25 (i.e. .25, .50, .75, 1.00). So I usually only put in a little extra and I have never had it come out from putting in too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back when I paid cash for gas, I used to round up. I have not paid cash for gas in 6 or 7 years.

I just fill it up till it stops the first time. I know my TL with spit the gas back at me if I try to top it off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I usually fill mine until I see the gas right inside the filler neck. The most I've ever put in was 18.5 gallons.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I don't top off because of the risk of a spill, and the chances of screwing up the emission control stuff, particularly the charcoal canister. I'm amazed at people who do top off, or enter their vehicle while fueling, or talk on the cell phone, all while seemingly staring right at the large warning signs that describe the potential fire hazard from such behavior.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
When I filled up my Pilot for the very first time, I was topping up, as I had done a countless time with all the vehicles I've owned in the past. I received a very rude surprise. The gas literally started to flow back up out of the tank! It was very disconcerting at the time, with all the people around me staring and also with the amount of gas that ended up getting spilled back out. It wouldn't stop coming back out for a good 30 to 45 seconds.

Since then, I never, ever top up with the Pilot. I read somewhere that this is a feature with the Pilot. Sure would've been nice to have been warned about it at the time I picked up the Pilot.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just a Click.

I fill it until it stops and then one more shot until it clicks off again. It is usually no more than a tiny bit, but it keeps me consistant if I want to keep track of millage.

Don:)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Topping Off Gas Tank

tonyrwc said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Its kind of like the guy at the crosswalk who pushes the button over and over thinking the light will change faster, it doesn't really help and if he really thought about it he probably wouldn't do it.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Reminds me of the guys/gals who press the up/down button while waiting for the elevator -- like pressing it 10 more times will make the elevator arrive any faster!!! :D :p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
"Its kind of like the guy at the crosswalk who pushes the button over and over thinking the light will change faster"
"Reminds me of the guys/gals who press the up/down button while waiting for the elevator -- like pressing it 10 more times will make the elevator arrive any faster!!!"

Are you guys spying on me???!!! :eek:

Guilty as charged... lol

The light will change and/or the elevator will arrive more quickly if it thinks there are more people waiting... :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just give the pump handle one more squeeze after it cuts off the first time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
RipRocK said:
When I filled up my Pilot for the very first time, I was topping up, as I had done a countless time with all the vehicles I've owned in the past. I received a very rude surprise. The gas literally started to flow back up out of the tank! It was very disconcerting at the time, with all the people around me staring and also with the amount of gas that ended up getting spilled back out. It wouldn't stop coming back out for a good 30 to 45 seconds.

Since then, I never, ever top up with the Pilot. I read somewhere that this is a feature with the Pilot. Sure would've been nice to have been warned about it at the time I picked up the Pilot.
That does'nt sound like a feature that any mfg. would equip. their cars with, that sounds like a faulty shut off valve in the nozzle. That should never happen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Samuel2003 said:
"Its kind of like the guy at the crosswalk who pushes the button over and over thinking the light will change faster"
"Reminds me of the guys/gals who press the up/down button while waiting for the elevator -- like pressing it 10 more times will make the elevator arrive any faster!!!"

Are you guys spying on me???!!! :eek:

Guilty as charged... lol

The light will change and/or the elevator will arrive more quickly if it thinks there are more people waiting... :p
Well Samuel2003, Kemo and I were talking about you, push the button once then leave it alone ok. :D :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
One more time

jay said:
. . . . I'm amazed at people who do top off, or enter their vehicle while fueling, or talk on the cell phone, all while seemingly staring right at the large warning signs that describe the potential fire hazard from such behavior.
The reported dangers associated with using a cell phone at a gas station are the result of an "URBAN LEGEND"!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tonyrwc said:
That does'nt sound like a feature that any mfg. would equip. their cars with, that sounds like a faulty shut off valve in the nozzle. That should never happen.
That's what I thought too, but soon after it happened to me, I read either in this forum or in one of the two honda newsgroups (rec.autos.makers.honda, alt.autos.honda) I visit about a same experience and one of the respondents said that when he was picking up his car, one thing that was expounded into him was to never, ever overfill or top up his gas tank as it can over flow without any indication.

I guess there are different levels of "topping up". The way I top up is, _manually_ trigger the nozzle on and off until I see a bit of the fuel come up. I did that with pretty much all the cars I've owned and still do it with the minivan. But the strange thing is, I never saw any of the gas come up with the Pilot, so I kept on topping up. And then all of a sudden, I have a small waterfall on the side of my Pilot. That day, I learned the hard way that it shouldn't be done on a Pilot. Now, the first automatic shut off occurs, I hang up the nozzle.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
LOL! Hey it looks like RR doesn't even drive a Honda! Is that a "hodgepodge"? :p

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
The real reason that RipRocK doesn't top off is that he doesn't want to splash gas on his clothes... :D
Hehehe...I gotta be on guard though when I wear one of those things out in the public when it's windy. I usually go commando in 'em :2:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RipRocK said:

Hehehe...I gotta be on guard though when I wear one of those things out in the public when it's windy. I usually go commando in 'em :2:
Yeah, RipRocK... at least you could wear some underwear when it's windy out!!! :eek: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
RipRocK said:

But the strange thing is, I never saw any of the gas come up with the Pilot, so I kept on topping up. And then all of a sudden, I have a small waterfall on the side of my Pilot. That day, I learned the hard way that it shouldn't be done on a Pilot. Now, the first automatic shut off occurs, I hang up the nozzle.
I don't blame you, that sounds a little scary.

Its a good thing then that you posted that info so everyone can learn from it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts