Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
85 Posts
Only Shell or Chevron for me, I think the brand and tier matters. My Pilot tends to idle rougher with no name brand gasolines and I take that as a bad indicator of the gas being low quality. Shell & Chevron are the two closest where I live and never had any problems with them.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,382 Posts
Only Shell or Chevron for me, I think the brand and tier matters. My Pilot tends to idle rougher with no name brand gasolines and I take that as a bad indicator of the gas being low quality. Shell & Chevron are the two closest where I live and never had any problems with them.
Raw gasoline is raw gasoline no matter where it is refined. It is required by law to meet a certain standard. Shell only has two refineries in the US. Deer Park, Texas, and Norco, Louisiana. They have interest in other refineries as does Conoco/Phillips, Chevron, Standard Oil etc.

Shell is not trucking gas from Texas or Louisiana to San Francisco. That would be ridiculously cost prohibitive. They are buying raw gasoline from a local refinery where the additives are blended in to meet Shells standards as well as the standards of other buyers. We have a couple of refineries not far from here and it is not uncommon to see a Phillips 66 truck, a Quik Trip truck and a Conoco truck all filling up at the same refinery. The additives that goes into the gas is what is sets the various fuels apart.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
I also use top tier fuels most of the time in my vehicles. The closest station to my house is a Shell station - more pricey but I fill up every 2 weeks or so and I'm not driving farther to save a couple dollars over the year. Never had any fuel related issues to this point.

I do not put anything other than the manufacturer recommended octane rating, so all of my current vehicles get regular. My Civic Si got premium. As there have been a lot of studies and experience based evidence to support top tier fuels, the same holds true for not putting higher octane fuel in a car that calls for regular.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
307 Posts
I run 87 in my vehicles and most of the time I get my gas from Costco, which is TopTier. But with that said, I'm not going to go out of my way to get TopTier gas. If I need gas and the nearest station isn't TopTier, whatever, I don't really care that much.

Reactions: cintocrunch

· Registered
237 Posts
First off I actually do not have a Honda Pilot, my sister does which is why I registered here. I drive an 05 Accord EX sedan, so some Honda related topics still apply. But I was banned from the DriveAccord forum because of completely discriminatory practices of the admins over there, so I'll post this here.
I have had this car for about 3-4 months now and have always had a CEL code P0420 "catalyst below threshold." I just ignored it because it didn't seem to affect the car's drivability. Up until now I had used a Pilot gas station (ironic isn't it) to fill up, since it was convenient to my work place and the cheapest around except for Sam's Club. But lately the Shell station up the street brought their price down to within a couple cents / gallon, so I decided to use them instead. Holy cow! After about 5 drive cycles my CEL has completely gone away, and my fuel mileage average has increased by about 2pmg. I have never been one to believe that one fuel brand really made that much difference over another (i.e. "top tier" fuels like Shell over generic stuff like Pilot, Caseys, Love's etc) but this seems to be indisputable proof.
Too bad I can't post this over in the Accord forum since they don't believe in fairness, but at least posted here it may be of use to anyone who has had an annoying evap/catalyst code (possibly O2 related) on their Pilot. Give it a couple of fillups with Shell and see if you experience the same result.
I use Costco Top Tier gas because it's so much cheaper. Recently my fuel economy plunged to 11 mpg. I brought it in to my trusty independent garage. "Run a couple of tanks of Techron through it". Dang 1/3 of the first tank and the cars a rocket again. Well sort of. Anyway back to 18-19 city and smooth as glass.

· Registered
237 Posts
You don't have to know anything about me my car or my story to answer my question. My request of you to provide suggestions about what caused the CEL to turn off stems completely from you insisting that it wasn't the gas I bought. I mean, if you are SO SURE it wasn't that, you must have some alternate suggestions about what it was... otherwise your theory has zero credibility.
And since you made this accusation in both of your posts, let me enlighten you: I buy stuff for two reasons: Because I know from experience that it works, or that it's a good value. Not because I am fooling myself into THINKING it works or THINKING it's a good value just to make myself happy. And no one ever said anything about snake oil or cures in a bottle- except YOU.
We clear now? Are you done with trying to be Mr. Know It All with absolutely zero support to back up your claims? Good. Now, RMPL.
It worked for the man. Let it go fellow owners.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,905 Posts
It’s not a debate as to which refinery makes the gasoline. Having worked where trucks load fuel wholesale, there are many small tanks near by with each companies additive that’s pumped in as they load.

· Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
236 Posts
I use Costco Top Tier gas because it's so much cheaper. Recently my fuel economy plunged to 11 mpg. I brought it in to my trusty independent garage. "Run a couple of tanks of Techron through it". Dang 1/3 of the first tank and the cars a rocket again. Well sort of. Anyway back to 18-19 city and smooth as glass.
I believe you, but something sounds amiss. Either the fuel isn’t to standard, or maybe your Pilot is burning too rich: Top Tier shouldn’t gum up the injectors or intakes; Techron is a detergent additive produced by Chevron, so by adding a bottle you had a high concentration of detergents that removed the build-up. Question to ask is why did it build up in the first place using high detergent Top Tier fuel?

· Registered
165 Posts
No harm in trying a few tankfuls of Shell gasoline in the hopes to resolve an issue. My only experience with Shell gasoline was with the LOML’s premium fuel recommended Nissan. She had a heavy foot and insisted she could tell I didn’t refuel with the good stuff (Shell 93+)….
Around here, Prescott Valley, AZ, Shell is usually the highest priced gas and that is the cash price shown on the signs at their gas stations; credit card purchasers pay more. I don't know any other gas stations here that charge more if one uses a credit card.

Since moving to AZ in 2022, we have bought gasoline at our local Fry's grocery store, a Kroger store. We get money off gas based on what we spend on groceries. When I fill up I normally get 20 or 30 cents a gallon off. We have never had an issue of any kind and I am getting around 23 mpg with 90% of my driving being local, not highway. I turn off the idle stop feature when I start my car as I hate that feature.

I read somewhere that most Kroger stores sell a top tier gas, but I have not been able to verify what gas our local store sells.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Around here, Prescott Valley, AZ, Shell is usually the highest priced gas and that is the cash price shown on the signs at their gas stations; credit card purchasers pay more. I don't know any other gas stations here that charge more if one uses a credit card.

Since moving to AZ in 2022, we have bought gasoline at our local Fry's grocery store, a Kroger store. We get money off gas based on what we spend on groceries. When I fill up I normally get 20 or 30 cents a gallon off. We have never had an issue of any kind and I am getting around 23 mpg with 90% of my driving being local, not highway. I turn off the idle stop feature when I start my car as I hate that feature.

I read somewhere that most Kroger stores sell a top tier gas, but I have not been able to verify what gas our local store sells.
I know for a fact that Kroger sells Shell as its gas brand, or at least they used to. Unfortunately there is not a Kroger in the area where I live (northwest Arkansas) because it is home to Wal-Mart headquarters and their Neighborhood Market grocery store stranglehold. I have always refused to buy my gas there for a variety of reasons- including being non-top tier--even though it's usually the cheapest. But my folks live in central Arkansas & get their gas at Kroger, and also take advantage of the discounted price for grocery shopping there- never heard of 20-30 cents/ gallon off though! It's either 3 cents/ gallon, or 10 cents/ gallon if they have accumulated enough points.

· Registered
269 Posts
never heard of 20-30 cents/ gallon off though! It's either 3 cents/ gallon, or 10 cents/ gallon if they have accumulated enough points.
in AZ you get 10c off per gallon at Fry's(kroger)/circleK/Shell stations per 100 fuel points.
1 point earned per dollar spent at Fry's grocerys, but you can accumulate up to 1000 per month (I imagine some of the huge mormon families here can do that)
Plus there is a code on each receipt to do a quick online survey to get 50 bonus points (limit one survey every 7 days). so you can automatically get an easy 200 extra points per month. it's great for someone like me who works from home,, i don't even go through a tank in a month.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it's great for someone like me who works from home,, i don't even go through a tank in a month.
See this is the stuff I don't want to hear. Stop working from home, that was a response to a worldwide pandemic NOT a luxury perk. It is completely unfair to the lower middle working class like myself who have to make that drive every day. Commute into work like the rest of us and pay the same price for gas that we have to.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
862 Posts
See this is the stuff I don't want to hear. Stop working from home, that was a response to a worldwide pandemic NOT a luxury perk. It is completely unfair to the lower middle working class like myself who have to make that drive every day. Commute into work like the rest of us and pay the same price for gas that we have to.
I sense sarcasm but if we all commute then everyone is going to get stuck in more traffic and potentially have to deal with more accidents and on looker delays.

No one wants there commute to take longer!

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Stay home people!!!

· Registered
269 Posts
I'm self employed with an online business started 2005,,, i quit my last day job in 2009.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts