Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Doing percentage to sales is not exactly painting a full picture. The Ridgeline being on the list is the proof.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
You had me at Honda. You lost me at BMW.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Interesting methodology. I don't see the relationship between percentage over 200k and reliability of the current model, but its a conversation starter.

Even at an average of 20k miles / year, the youngest car making it to 200k would have been new in 2010. A more realistic 15k/yr puts it all the way back to new in 2006.

My personal experience says there's lots of late 90's / early 00's Hondas and Toyotas on the road, so that seems legit. General opinion here seems to be that buying a first-gen Pilot with 150k is economical if you do your own work, so that fits, too.

To me, this list is "which cars sold between 1990 and 2005 had robust bodies, good motors, and could be easily owner-maintained?" The only two that aren't good for a driveway mechanic are the Prius and the Tesla. I think the point that they made about the biggest barrier to hitting 200k being cost of maintenance is right on.

Lincoln Navigator, though. I think that's the worst car I've ever driven. I can't imagine suffering through 15 years in one of those. I'm surprised there's no Subarus on here, though - the old Outbacks seem to be pretty hard to kill.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting methodology. I don't see the relationship between percentage over 200k and reliability of the current model, but its a conversation starter.

Even at an average of 20k miles / year, the youngest car making it to 200k would have been new in 2010. A more realistic 15k/yr puts it all the way back to new in 2006.

My personal experience says there's lots of late 90's / early 00's Hondas and Toyotas on the road, so that seems legit. General opinion here seems to be that buying a first-gen Pilot with 150k is economical if you do your own work, so that fits, too.

To me, this list is "which cars sold between 1990 and 2005 had robust bodies, good motors, and could be easily owner-maintained?" The only two that aren't good for a driveway mechanic are the Prius and the Tesla. I think the point that they made about the biggest barrier to hitting 200k being cost of maintenance is right on.

Lincoln Navigator, though. I think that's the worst car I've ever driven. I can't imagine suffering through 15 years in one of those. I'm surprised there's no Subarus on here, though - the old Outbacks seem to be pretty hard to kill.
Yeah, isn't it the Subaru ads that boast they have more old cars still on the road than any other brand or something like that? I'm surprised the CR-V made the list but the Pilot didn't. Maybe sheer volume of CR-Vs to Pilots? .... ~ 3:1?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm surprised the CR-V made the list but the Pilot didn't. Maybe sheer volume of CR-Vs to Pilots? .... ~ 3:1?
Start looking for first- and second-gen CR-V's, with the spare tire on the back. They're everywhere, and range from 14 to 23 years old.

Pilots are more expensive to maintain after 100k miles unless you DIY. I think a lot of them just get run into the ground because the owners don't want to spring for that bill. Maybe that will change with the prices on used ones climbing so fast.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Start looking for first- and second-gen CR-V's, with the spare tire on the back. They're everywhere, and range from 14 to 23 years old.
Always brings a little smile of avuncular pride when I see those.

Maybe that will change with the prices on used [1st gen Pilots] climbing so fast.
I think we, at this forum, bear some of the responsibility for that. :)

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I know people who have some and I regard CR-Vs as the Pilot's nieces and nephews.

And careful what you say out loud. Admin and former Mod @Rocky is now one of those.

OK, I'll placate him for you this one time.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,446 Posts
Nothing wrong with the CRV of you feel it meets your needs.
I’ve used mine in much the same way as the Pilot, but with kids moving out, our needs are changing.

Mine may be a humble 16 Touring CRV but I opted to take it a few months ago on a long run to SC, 950 or so miles each way and it did the trip at 31.5mpg far exceeding the sub 20 mpg the Pilot got.

Thank god for ACC . It’s fantastic.

I know people who have some and I regard CR-Vs as the Pilot's nieces and nephews.

And careful what you say out loud. Admin and former Mod @Rocky is now one of those.

OK, I'll placate him for you this one time. View attachment 145246
Now I have to ban you. Former???? I still wield the big moderator stick. :) (joke mode off)

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I thought you hung up your mod hat. Now next to your avatar it says Administrator. You should mod (pun intended) that to give the unsuspecting fair warning.

So I guess Administrator is the true Super Moderator, unlike a certain @Daltongang masquerades as. :p

(Hey kids, don't try this at home. This is how to get double-banned.
)

Now I have to placate him, too. Um, Go Chiefs?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
Nothing wrong with the CRV of you feel it meets your needs.
I’ve used mine in much the same way as the Pilot, but with kids moving out, our needs are changing.

Mine may be a humble 16 Touring CRV but I opted to take it a few months ago on a long run to SC, 950 or so miles each way and it did the trip at 31.5mpg far exceeding the sub 20 mpg the Pilot got.

Thank god for ACC . It’s fantastic.

Now I have to ban you. Former???? I still wield the big moderator stick. :) (joke mode off)

Do you want to do it or do you want me to?

I thought you hung up your mod hat. Now next to your avatar it says Administrator. You should mod (pun intended) that to give the unsuspecting fair warning.

So I guess Administrator is the true Super Moderator, unlike a certain @Daltongang masquerades as. :p

View attachment 145268

(Hey kids, don't try this at home. This is how to get double-banned. View attachment 145269 View attachment 145270 )

Now I have to placate him, too. Um, Go Chiefs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.