Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone;

The last few days I have been down at 1 of my companies job sites. We are building a large dike. So, before I came home I decided it was time to put the Pilot to the test. I drove around the top of the dike through all the dump truck and heavy equipment ruts. The inside of the dike is a 45 degree slope about 80+ feet high, Which is hard enough for our heavy duty trucks so I didn't want to be towed out.

All in all I must say the Pilot handled very well for not being a true off-road vehicle. My Pilot looks like it is Sandstone and not Sagebrush right now with the amount of dirt caked on it. Time for a good washing this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
PaulV7 said:

The inside of the dike is a 45 degree slope about 80+ feet high, Which is hard enough for our heavy duty trucks so I didn't want to be towed out.

What kind of trucks do they have that will climb a 45 degree slope??? :8:

That's a SERIOUS incline!!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: took my pilot off-road

colorider said:

What kind of trucks do they have that will climb a 45 degree slope??? :8:

That's a SERIOUS incline!!
I am sure the land rovers would do it...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: took my pilot off-road

ramirami said:

I am sure the land rovers would do it...
I'm not sure what the Land Rover is capable of. I suppose 35 degrees is entirely possible, but 45 is pretty darn awesome!!!

:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel. It flys right up them with no problem. This truck also has a 200gal fuel tank, 3 tool boxes and a air compressor in the back.

Our big dump trucks could barely make it up. We had to shift them into low and lock the differential then they putted up the edge. The fun part about the dump trucks was driving back down the edge....want to talk about a scary feeling.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
PaulV7 said:
We got a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel. It flys right up them with no problem. This truck also has a 200gal fuel tank, 3 tool boxes and a air compressor in the back.

Our big dump trucks could barely make it up. We had to shift them into low and lock the differential then they putted up the edge. The fun part about the dump trucks was driving back down the edge....want to talk about a scary feeling.
What am I doing in pharmaceutical marketing? I want to play with my Tonka Trucks again!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Jeep Cherokee Sport climbed a fairly short 60 degree incline (yes, a measured 60 degree).....all you could see was sky. We also had it on a 45 degree incline sideways - that was scary - almost like you could reach out and touch the dirt. The car did well, though....completely stock.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D my pilot went off road not by choice, but there was an accident in the I-30 and had to bypass the route by getting off the freeway to the local road. I'm glad I was not with my IS300 but the pilot instead.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Here is the famous picture that Car & Driver magazine photo-chopped to show (conceptually) the new 2005 Honda Truck...

...this has to be less than 45° ±5°, right? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Crudely measured-20 degrees

It is about 20 degrees.45 degrees would be a very impressive picture.The Pilot doesn't have much front or rear overhang,but it would be very close to dragging the front on approach,and the rear on leaving the slope.Charlie

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Crudely measured-20 degrees

charlie said:
It is about 20 degrees.45 degrees would be a very impressive picture.The Pilot doesn't have much front or rear overhang,but it would be very close to dragging the front on approach,and the rear on leaving the slope.Charlie
charlie: Here is another shot of that Silver Pilot from the same hill-climbing series... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yikes-that looks like 45+degrees!

Kemosabe,Hi Ho Silver,that looks like 45 degrees from that angle.On the other picture I assumed that the bottom of the picture was parallel with the road to the run up.Now,from this angle,who knows?I would think many vehicles could manage 45 degrees if they could approach it from the side and slowly turn into the hill,but far fewer could do it head on like a narrow trail;too much overhang on either end.Charlie.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Yikes-that looks like 45+degrees!

charlie said:
Kemosabe,Hi Ho Silver,that looks like 45 degrees from that angle.On the other picture I assumed that the bottom of the picture was parallel with the road to the run up.Now,from this angle,who knows?I would think many vehicles could manage 45 degrees if they could approach it from the side and slowly turn into the hill,but far fewer could do it head on like a narrow trail;too much overhang on either end.Charlie.
In looking at a side profile of the Pilot, it looks like the front end might handle a pretty decent approach angle, but the back end would be a problem. WAY too much overhang!!

:14:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Is that Pilot hiking with it's Goodyear Integrity's on?!?
That scares me. I don't trust these big cheap car tires.

PaulV7, do you have them on yours? Any complaints?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Yikes-that looks like 45+degrees!

colorider said:

In looking at a side profile of the Pilot, it looks like the front end might handle a pretty decent approach angle, but the back end would be a problem. WAY too much overhang!!

:14:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Yikes-that looks like 45+degrees!

kemosabe said:
Hmm, better than I thought it would be in the back. Of course you would need to factor in for those chrome tips people have been adding!!!

:2: :2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey sorry for the late reply I lost track of the thread.

Kemo: no sorry I didn't get a picture :( . I was more worried about getting everything I needed from off the top of the dike so I could drive back home.

74PILOTMOM: Yes, I have the Goodyear Integrity's. They did alright. When I got going faster on the smoother places you could feel the tires floating a bit. A tire with some more tooth would of been much better. I think when my integrity's are shot I'm going to purchase some that are a bit more aggressive. I already have a plug in both of my front tires (2 nails, separate times) so it might not be long before I have to buy new tires.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have to throw in a word of caution here. I've been driving off road in Jeeps, Fords, Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas since 1969. Angles like those in this thread are dangerous for even experienced drivers and well set up off-road trucks. If you lose traction and start sliding, the anti-lock brakes aren't going to kick in and you can find yourself sideways and rolling over quickly. The Pilot's definitely not made for these angles so I hope we don't have a bunch of folks go out and see how steep a hill can be climbed!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You may end up with a Pilot that kinda looks like this one....

:1zhelp:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts