Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our Pilot today. Awesome! Drives great. Still trying to figure everything out, but the posts have been great to know what to check for. One thing I had read either here or on another board was about the tire pressure. I checked them after picking it up. They were all at 45PSI. Guess they missed it during the prep. Used a special air down gadget I had from my Jeep to quickly get the tires down to ~32PSI. Actually set them at 34PSI since they were "warm." Anyone else had this problem. Heard about problems with bumpy rides from over inflated tires. Guess they are doing this so they do not flatten out during transit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My dealer said they overinflate the tires for shipping on purpose but I don't remember why. Perhaps for more clearance on the car carrier?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doesn't really apply to Pilots...

...but they over inflate most vehicles so that the radial tire bulge is minimimized. If vehicles spend a long time "in port" the bulge gets shaded and looks unsightly when prepped (like getting a tan with a t-shirt on) part of the tire fades unevenly.

I don't think any Pilot has spent more than a day "in port" , and then only if the car carrier had a problem at the rail depot.

:D :D :D

GLJones said:
My dealer said they overinflate the tires for shipping on purpose but I don't remember why. Perhaps for more clearance on the car carrier?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Checked mine the other night and they were at 36 psi. Let'em down to 32 psi. Something you may want to check out if you have a stiff ride. :2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tire pressure

From reading this board and others I learned that Pilots were being delivered with overinflated tires. I gave my salesperson the heads up to make sure the tires were inflated to the correct PSI for delivery. She said yeah, yeah we will take care of it.

Drove it home and ride seemed too stiff. Sure enough all tires at 40 PSI. Annoyed, I drove back to the dealership (@ 5 miles) and made the service manager reduce the PSI to 32 while I watched.

Certainly I could have done myself but that wasn't the point. That should have been caught even without my WARNING the salesperson.

Makes me think what else on that PDI checklist was "overlooked".

Other than that issue I love my silver bullet and am happy I waited for it, rather than "settling".

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it were not for this thread, I would have not known about the over inflated tires. I will check my Pilot today when I get home.

I did notice that the ride on the pilot was a little bumpy. I have been wondering why, but now my guess it is due to the over inflated tire.

I will give my saleman a call, if this is the case on my pilot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll have to keep this handy! Willing to put money down that I have the same problem, since mine is coming in at the end of August, and the dealer has already made it clear that they want to get the sale for the month end. Sounds like a recipe for cutting corners to me!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You should always check the pressure after getting your vehicle serviced by Honda. I have a CR-V, and everytime they inflate the tires to about 32 - 33 psi. Inside the door jam, Honda recommends 26 psi.......

You'd think Honda would follow their own tire pressure recommendations... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Auto makers almost always will specify less pressure for a particular application than a tire manufacturers would. Auto makers like the "softer" tire primarily for one reason: ride comfort. On the other hand, a tire inflated at or near it's maximum recommended will run cooler (lessens possibility of heat related failures), improve mileage, and wear more evenly across the tread, particularly if it is driven hard.

Remember the Firestone tire failures? Ford had picked a "softer" recommended pressure than that which the tire maker recommended, in order to sell a few more suv's by virtue of the "better ride".

Personally, I'd rather feel a few more road irregularities, get better mileage and have my tires last longer than risk a high speed blowout. Upping the pressure to the midway point between auto maker's recommendated pressures and maximum inflation as printed on the tire is "comfortable" enough for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't cofuse MAX pressure with recommended...

The number on the sidewall of tire is what the tire make wants to MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT EXCEED! It is also specificed as the cold pressure, so you'd still be safe if the tires were filled to the max and then heated up to a higher pressure.

Thw vehicle manufacturer will recommende something less for ride comfort, handling, control and fuel economy. If they'd get acceptable results with higher pressure, they'd recommend it to be higher.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Remember not only do the dealers tend to overinflate but so do those quicklube places or full service gas stations when they do their so called 100000 point checks. So be sure to always check and maintain proper tire pressure ... not only does it affect your ride but also your mileage.

PrG

·
Registered
12 Posts
tire pressure

Thanks for the heads-up on the tire pressure. I got my Pilot last week. I checked the cold tire pressure this weekend and they were all at 45-50 PSI.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Warm tires

If you drive even 2 miles you should consider your tires too hot to acuratly measure the pressure.
So driving 5 miles to have the dealer let air out is not a good idea.
Check them yourself in the morning.
Also,
The marking on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure.
Do not exceed this pressure.
The tag on the door is the recommended compromise.
It is best not to go below this pressure.
Most tire guages are only accurate +/- 2 PSI.
So pick a number 2 PSI above the door, and 2 PSI below the sidewall, and be happy.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check pressure and Happy to report they were all set at 31psi - cold. Chalk one up for an attentive dealer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this thread - We love our new Pilot, however I have noticed the ride being a little rougher than I expected. I assumed it was because this was an AWD. I read on this thread about the possibility of the tires being overinflated and sure enough...we checked them today and they had either 45 or 46 psi in each one. We lowered to 32 psi and I was shocked at the difference.

I am beginning to wonder what else the dealer didn't do that they should have done. We still have those four plugs in our console.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dealer lowered the psi to 38 from 45 at dealer prep. The pressure is now at 32.

Guess what....the 'rattle from the rear' problem is gone. The high tire pressure appears to be the reason for this problem.

All I have left now is the famous 'window scrunch'.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just went out and checked mine and I'm at 35 pounds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Warm tires

N_Jay said:
If you drive even 2 miles you should consider your tires too hot to acuratly measure the pressure.
So driving 5 miles to have the dealer let air out is not a good idea.
Check them yourself in the morning.
Also,
The marking on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure.
Do not exceed this pressure.
The tag on the door is the recommended compromise.
It is best not to go below this pressure.
Most tire guages are only accurate +/- 2 PSI.
So pick a number 2 PSI above the door, and 2 PSI below the sidewall, and be happy.
:)
"Most tire guages are only accurate +/- 2 PSI. " - Even the digital ones with the latest P4 processor ? Just kidding .... I use a digital one and the manufacturer claims it is pretty accurate ... Don't remember the brand name though !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Picked up your new Pilot? Check the tires!

I was trying to hunt down the 'chirping' noise that my Pilot has developed and decided to check the tire pressure.

Exactly 46 psi in all four. :eek:

Looking at the warning labeled on the tire itself...."MAX 45 PSI "

Someone at the xxxx decided to fill the tire to 45 because "that's what's written on the tire". :14:

I lowered it to the proper pressure and of course the ride improved tremendously.

·
Registered
385 Posts
its probably not that the dealer overinflated them. Rather, they forgot to Deflate them. While in shipping transit or on the truck, the tires are typically overinflated.

Either way, no excuse for poor prep work.

I'm not sure if Honda also uses those plastic "shipping blocks" in the springs (suspension) to prevent the vehicle from "bouncing" too much during shipment. Dealers often forget to remove those things during prep. They are easy to see if they've been left in there and will have a noticeable harsh effect on the ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts