Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post everyone so be gentle...

I am looking for a new vehicle to replace my 2001 F150 "Supercrew".

We went to our local dealer and they were kind enough to let us have a Pilot to test drive for the weekend. My whole family ( wife and 2 boys 12&15 yrs ) loved the Pilot. My only concern was the drivers side leg room. I am 6' 4" and have read a number of posts of people as tall or taller and everyone said how much leg room they had. Maybe I am spoiled with the leg room in my truck but I felt cramped in the Pilot.

I would really like to buy the Pilot but am afraid of the leg room issue.

Beyond the normal adjustments does anyone know of any further adjustment to the seat that may help? I would appreciate the help and so would my family.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
JRBassitt said:
This is my first post everyone so be gentle...
Don't worry about that, everyone is real nice here! Welcome to the best car site I know of.

Anyway, are you absolutely sure that the seat was all the way back (and up, perhaps with the seat back reclined a bit)? I'm 6'2" and overweight (but working on it) and I am thrilled about how much room I have in the Pilot, especially headroom. But, of course, I'm not 6'4" like you.

Hmm ... Expedition? But I'd hate to steer you away from the Pilot. Have you tried any other SUVs?

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Well, at 6'6", and having trouble fitting in a lot of vehicles, I have no problem with the Pilot. Plenty of leg room. You just have to adjust the seat correctly, and it'll work for you. Had my Pilot for just over 2 months and lovin it.

:blahblah:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 2xx pounds, and the Pilot is the only vehicle that I've found that I can adjust the driver's seat to fit, and then still be able to sit in the passenger seat behind me. I sat in a number of vehicles at the Washington Auto Show last January, and the Pilot definitely had more room than any of them.

The only other vehicle I felt like I could be comfortable in was a Navigator. And with the Navigator, you wouldn't have to worry about hip sores from sitting on your too thick wallet. :2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
6'5" me
6'1" Ms.
6'0" jr.
That's why we bought he truck
My Audi had more straight out leg extension room but not even close on all the other space

ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
36 Posts
6'8" here and the only thing I've noticed is that the gear selection lever comes a little close to my right knee. Other than that, very comfy. Surprisingly large amount of room available above my head, too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
JR,
Sure you gonna feel cramped. I do every time I crawl into the Pilot after driving my truck.
But it doesn't take long to get used to it. I also agree that leg room isn't an issue if you play with the seat. You're not going to have as much as you have in a truck, but I think it's adequate.

Where I have a problem is the height of the vehicle. When I get into the Pilot I feel like my butt's dragging on the ground. This takes longer for me to get used to.

I think you'd be happy with a Pilot once you got used to it.
G.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm 6'4" and I have no problem with legroom. I agree that sometimes the gear shift is close to my right leg, but it really hasn't been a problem.

Evergreen

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Hi, JRBassitt.

If you're still interested, I just came across this way of comparing cars with very specific criteria at the Auto Channel:
http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2003/07/15/164871.html

I tried to post links to results of specific searches, but I think this is a Flash application so the link here takes you to the basic article and then you will need to do the search by going through the link at the bottom of the article.

In brief:

SUVs with the most legroom are the Mercedes G-500, the GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer, the Kia Sportage (?), Mercury Mountaineer, Subaru Forrester (?), etc...

With respect to head room, the Pilot is 2nd after the Mercedes G-500 (not counting the Jeep Wrangler).

Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
305 Posts
just putting in another vote that there is plenty of room for me at 6'5". As a matter of fact, I don't even set the seat all the way back, I just tilt the front all the way up and the back all the way down. I'd LIKE to set it further back and stretch out a bit more, but the non-telescoping steering wheel keeps my arms outstretched as it is. Anyway, its still just fine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not only does the seat slide back but you can tilt it or raise or lower it, at least on an EX. Maybe the one you tried was tilted forward some. I'm surprised the sales person didn't help more unless you didn't say anything. This is one time they should be of help, as long as they don't try to convince you that its ok if its not. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in at 6'5".

I too have an issue (minor issue) with my right knee being a little too close to the gear selection lever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Qbrozen said:
just putting in another vote that there is plenty of room for me at 6'5". As a matter of fact, I don't even set the seat all the way back, I just tilt the front all the way up and the back all the way down. I'd LIKE to set it further back and stretch out a bit more, but the non-telescoping steering wheel keeps my arms outstretched as it is. Anyway, its still just fine.
I just discovered that trick as well. I'm not quite as big (6'2") but I do find trouble with the leg room on a lot of vehicles. Although the CR-V would have been better for my wife size-wise, we bought the Pilot since I drive her vehicles a lot (trips, etc.) and the CR-V was not comfortable. In the Pilot, Tilting up on the front seemed to help a lot and I was quite surprised on how much extra leg room this seemed to give me.

That being said, comfort is key and if you can't adjust the Pilot to make it comfortable for you, you shouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
robrecht said:

In brief:

SUVs with the most legroom are the Mercedes G-500, the GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer, the Kia Sportage (?), Mercury Mountaineer, Subaru Forrester (?), etc...

surprised that the durangl is not there...specially the new durango....since chrysler vehicles (due to wheel placement) tend to have more leg room....

maybe I need to go to the website and check it....

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
on autos.msn.com you can compare different vehicles, so I compared the pilot with the expedition and the pilot came out ahead in the front head and leg room
Pilot Expedition
Standard Seating 8 8
Front Headroom (in.) 41.90 39.70
Rear Headroom (in.) 40.90 39.80
Front Legroom (in.) 41.40 41.20
Rear Legroom (in.) 37.40 38.70
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 61.60 63.40
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 61.40 64.30
Front Hip Room (in.) 57.50 63.00
Rear Hip Room (in.) 56.60 62.40

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Did you drive an LX or EX? Seems like I've read here that the LX does not give as much leg room, since it has a different seat adjustor (manual vs electric)... anyone else remember this?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say, there are alot of big boys in this forum. Holy Moses! I feel like a midget! :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
RipRocK said:
Sorry I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say, there are alot of big boys in this forum. Holy Moses! I feel like a midget! :eek:
Yeah, I was really surprised to see how many tall Piloteers there are!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts