Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All systems go. Tomorrow I buy a silver EX with cloth, tow package, cross bars, splash guards, and 4 free oil changes for $1500 UNDER sticker. I drove it 50 miles last Sat. and can say it drives better than the Highlander, 4 Runner, Volvo XC90, BMW X5, Explorer, Lexus 300, and anything else I considered seriously and test drove. I also think it's a better looking car with it's clear lines and strong presence.
I noticed that there are different tires on my car. Instead of the usual Goodyear Integrity, I have Bridgestone Duelers. I checked their rating on tirerack.com and the Bridgestones come with a better warrenty, a much better rating for year round weather, and are twice as pricey.
I waited and did well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Maybe I missed something here. Aren't Bridgestone and Firestone the same company? If so, did not this company have a real problem with tires for SUV's?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
The subject tires were built at one plant in the US, in Decatur, IL:

From Firestone Recall:

"The recall will cover all P235/75 R15 Firestone ATX and ATX II tires (from 1991 to the present) and all P235/75R15 Wilderness AT tires (from 1996 to the present) manufactured at Firestone's Decatur, IL plant. Firestone does not plan to recall the approximately 5.6 million Wilderness AT tires manufactured at its other plants (Joliet, Canada and Wilson, NC) or other models of Wilderness tires. Firestone estimates that approximately 6.5 million of the tires covered by the recall (which include original equipment, replacement, and full-size, non-temporary spare tires) are still on the road. "

4603pba said:
Maybe I missed something here. Aren't Bridgestone and Firestone the same company? If so, did not this company have a real problem with tires for SUV's?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey scamps! Congrats on your pick-up tomorrow! :D
Here's a Bridgestone Tire thread you'll be interested in!
Keep us posted! :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
"The recall will cover all P235/75 R15 Firestone ATX and ATX II tires (from 1991 to the present) and all P235/75R15 Wilderness AT tires (from 1996 to the present) manufactured at Firestone's Decatur, IL plant. Firestone does not plan to recall the approximately 5.6 million Wilderness AT tires manufactured at its other plants (Joliet, Canada and Wilson, NC) or other models of Wilderness tires. Firestone estimates that approximately 6.5 million of the tires covered by the recall (which include original equipment, replacement, and full-size, non-temporary spare tires) are still on the road. "

[/B][/QUOTE]
Hopefully this will never occur again. I'm sure they have a very tight quality control in place.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I believe that the Decatur plant has been permanently closed.

Regards,

Walt

Hopefully this will never occur again. I'm sure they have a very tight quality control in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bridgestone Tires

I have the Bridgestone H/T D684 tires on my Pilot and I'm not too happy with them. They seem quite noisy and during cold weather (under 50 degrees) the seem to flat spot after sitting for a while which causes a vibration that lasts for the first 15-20 minutes of driving. And from my test drive experience I think the Goodyear Integrity tires ride better then the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Must have been the "I waited and did well" that caused you all to cause the poor guy to now feel he may not have done so well afterall. Well, at least tire wise that is.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
seadog said:
Must have been the "I waited and did well" that caused you all to cause the poor guy to now feel he may not have done so well afterall. Well, at least tire wise that is.

Hasn't DONE it yet. Good or bad tires? Don't know.
Now at least he has alot more knowledge to walk in with tomorrow. Good luck scamps! :29:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any tire that comes on a new vehicle is a good tire. There are always better ones available but I think take what you get and consider the upgrade when the original ones wear out.
I think a lot of the better ride effects are mental. I cannot believe any tire could give me a better ride and handling than my Goodyear originals. Maybe they can. I guess I will find out in a year or 2.
In the mean time, Happy Piloting!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the Wilderness AT death tires on my Ranger when it was delivered new. I drove 50K miles on them before my recall slot came up. Free tires for 50K miles. I laughed all the way to the bank.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
4603pba said:
Any tire that comes on a new vehicle is a good tire. There are always better ones available but I think take what you get and consider the upgrade when the original ones wear out.
I think a lot of the better ride effects are mental. I cannot believe any tire could give me a better ride and handling than my Goodyear originals. Maybe they can. I guess I will find out in a year or 2.
In the mean time, Happy Piloting!!
I tend to agree with this for the most part. I have bought more than my share of new vehicles and I can honestly say I never had a truly "bad" or even marginal tire on any of them. Wear 'em out and then get whatever brand/model you want!!

IMHO

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm agree with coloride, I always do that, wear the tires on my new cars and after choose the ones I want. Why waist money, that you can use in a trip with your family or else. I'm not a rich person. unfortunately.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone: The bridgestone Dueler HT come with the cloth EX instead of the Integrity that goes with the leather. When i looked at tirerack i mistakenly took the DL review for the HT one. I need to review the HT evaluations. Like most of you I'm just going to drive and enjoy my new Pilot, research tires more, and take it from there.
Call me shallow, but I think the Duelers look better. They appear heftier or something. I asked the dealer if i could go with the Michelin Cross terrains instead and pay the difference. I doubt that will work out so i'm going to call shops on my own. My plan is to just stay with these for now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We had the Dueler HT's that came with our 97 CRV. They lasted over 60,000 miles without rotating them. We replaced them with the Dueler HL's, which seem to me quieter, smoother and better handling.

I was nervous at first about Bridgestone, since I've always purchased Michelins.

By the way, Bridgestone purchased Firestone, just like Michelin owns BFGoodrich.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
JungleJim said:
We had the Dueler HT's that came with our 97 CRV. They lasted over 60,000 miles without rotating them.
[snip]
Without rotating them? In over 60K miles? All I can say is WOW!!! :20:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
colorider said:

Without rotating them? In over 60K miles? All I can say is WOW!!! :20:
My tires started to rotate the second I drove the Pilot off the dealer's lot -- your tires never rotated??? ;) :p

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
scamps said:
Hi Everyone: The bridgestone Dueler HT come with the cloth EX instead of the Integrity that goes with the leather. When i looked at tirerack i mistakenly took the DL review for the HT one. I need to review the HT evaluations. Like most of you I'm just going to drive and enjoy my new Pilot, research tires more, and take it from there.
Call me shallow, but I think the Duelers look better. They appear heftier or something. I asked the dealer if i could go with the Michelin Cross terrains instead and pay the difference. I doubt that will work out so i'm going to call shops on my own. My plan is to just stay with these for now.
I never realized until reading this thread that the EX cloth came with a different tire than the EX leather Pilots. I took a good look at the tires on my EX and, sure enough, they're Bridgestone Duelers. From what the links say, it doesn't sound like Honda did us EX cloth buyers any favors. (Though I can't say I've noticed any problems with these tires.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
RE:Firestone Recall

I am unsure why everyone accepts Ford's story on the whole tire recall as being Firestone's fault. Doesn't it make you wonder why no other vehicle wearing these tires had tire failure? Only Ford Explorers. One interesting note is that the Explorer was running this tire at a lower inflation pressure, perhaps to help enhance ride, which generates heat. Perhaps Ford spec'd the wrong tire for the Explorer in the first place and let Firetone take the fall for it.

Also, Firestone is an American tire manufacturer which was purchased by Bridgestone, a Japanese corp., a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts