Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had enough of my stock stereo, and am changing the whole system except for the tweeters. This will be done Saturday (tomorrow). New head unit (Ecllipse), door speakers (Eclipse), and subwoofer and amp. (Kenwood).

I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
964 Posts
What's wrong with the OEM one?

Just curious. I just picked up my Pilot last week and haven't had a chance to put the stereo through it's paces, plus my son has to watch a DVD everywhere we go and doesn't like the headphones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it all depends on how much you value music quality. The stock system is adequate and for alot of people will perform just fine.

Personnally, I couldn't live with it. The subwoofer was far too boomy, there was no mid range. The only time the system sounded at all worthy of mention, was when you were playing a CD.

Well I went in for surgery today and got my new system installed. Day and night difference. I kept on saying to myself, ok so this is what it's supposed to sound like!

I also made an addition. I bought an MTX amplifier for the four main speakers. The extra head room it gives is well worth the money.

Finally I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
91Octane said:
Well I went in for surgery today and got my new system installed. Day and night difference. I kept on saying to myself, ok so this is what it's supposed to sound like!

I also made an addition. I bought an MTX amplifier for the four main speakers. The extra head room it gives is well worth the money.

Finally I'm happy.
May I ask how much?

·
Registered
25 Posts
91Octane said:
I guess it all depends on how much you value music quality. The stock system is adequate and for alot of people will perform just fine.

Personnally, I couldn't live with it. The subwoofer was far too boomy, there was no mid range. The only time the system sounded at all worthy of mention, was when you were playing a CD.

Finally I'm happy.
I sure would like to see pictures of the install. It seems to me that an aftermarket headunit would stick out quite a bit because of the funky curve (bevel) of the dash center stack at each side of the din openings. I agree with you on the sound of the unit - for most people it is adequate, but it doesn't seem to have the clarity that it should. My 1992 Ford Taurus SHO with the factory JBL system is much clearer.

- Gil
'03 RedRock Pearl EX-L

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
florida_guy said:

May I ask how much?
The total system installed price before taxes was $1700.00 Canadian. This includes;

Eclipse Head Unit Model CD5423
Eclipse Speakers 4 ea. Model 8262
MTX Amplifier Model 4244 (to run the door speakers)
Pioneer Amplifier 100W bridged for Subwoofer (This I had in my previous Accord)
Kenwood 8 in. subwoofer in separate enclosure (I had this in my previous Accord)

It took me the better part of yesterday set up the gains, High and low pass filters on the amps, and fine tune the head unit for my taste but WOW I couldn't be happier. :D

I know alot people would never pay that much for a new system but it's well worth it to me. I travel alot and spend alot of time in my Pilot. I forgot what good music sounded like.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gshoemaker1 said:

I sure would like to see pictures of the install. It seems to me that an aftermarket headunit would stick out quite a bit because of the funky curve (bevel) of the dash center stack at each side of the din openings. I agree with you on the sound of the unit - for most people it is adequate, but it doesn't seem to have the clarity that it should. My 1992 Ford Taurus SHO with the factory JBL system is much clearer.

- Gil
'03 RedRock Pearl EX-L
Actually the head unit does not stick out at all It's almost flush. The head unit is about half the size of the Honda unit. The installation H.U. kit comes with a small storage compartment just under the head unit. Looks great.

I will try to get a hold of a digital camera and take some pics to post. The MTX amp. fits nicely under the front passenger seat. The Pioneer amp is attached to the side of the sub enclosure. I had them make the cables long enough that I can move the sub enclosure anywhere in the back compartment so there's no problem if I want to flip up the 3rd row seating.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
91Octane said:

The total system installed price before taxes was $1700.00 Canadian.
O.K. Who can do the translation? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
91Octane said:

Actually the head unit does not stick out at all It's almost flush. The head unit is about half the size of the Honda unit. The installation H.U. kit comes with a small storage compartment just under the head unit. Looks great.

I will try to get a hold of a digital camera and take some pics to post. The MTX amp. fits nicely under the front passenger seat. The Pioneer amp is attached to the side of the sub enclosure. I had them make the cables long enough that I can move the sub enclosure anywhere in the back compartment so there's no problem if I want to flip up the 3rd row seating.
Was the H.U. intall kit specifically designed for the Pilot or it just for Honda's in general? When you say "almost flush" I am envisoning that it is a little bit recessed into the opening so you can see how thick the plastic on the console actually is. Looks to me like it is almost a double DIN (a single DIN is a standard sized aftermarket radio), but not quite. May I ask why you didn't put the subwoofer in the same place as the factory? Thanks.

- Gil
'03 RedRock Pearl EX_L

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
kemosabe said:

Using the Canadian ===> U.S. exchange rate from close of bizness last Friday:
Thanks kemosabe!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the H.U. install kit was specifically designed for the Pilot. It's not recessed into the console. The Eclispe H.U. has a very flat profile. The install kit isn't pefectly flush but awfully close. There is about 1/16 of an inch or less recession.

Regarding the Sub, the is existing enclosure is very shallow and to get a sub to fit it would have cost more money.
Also, the stock enclosure is not optimal for sonic quality.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I am so thrilled with the new system. I can't believe the clarity, head room, and balence.

I highly reccommend an upgrade from the stock system, whatever level you can afford. You'll be glad you did.

gshoemaker1, I am in the process of getting a digital camera and will post pics soon.

·
Registered
991 Posts
91Octane said:
Update. I am so thrilled with the new system. I can't believe the clarity, head room, and balence.

I highly reccommend an upgrade from the stock system, whatever level you can afford. You'll be glad you did.

gshoemaker1, I am in the process of getting a digital camera and will post pics soon.
Hey Octane would love to see those new pics! Thats great you got what you wanted, I would like to do the same, but I think the stock stereo will have to do for now..

Glad to see that the new stereo is a blast!!!

rob

·
Registered
804 Posts
Still no pics? If you drive it down here, I'll take all the pics you want, and host them too!
91Octane said:
the is existing enclosure is very shallow and to get a sub to fit it would have cost more money.
Also, the stock enclosure is not optimal for sonic quality.
I was only able to get 5.25" speakers in the doors because I didn't want to cut the doors and I wanted to use the factory brackets. So, I need a sub. Are there any subs that fit the factory location? Does anyone know the specs to the sub amp?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting about the door speakers. I (installer) was able to get the 6 1/2 in. speakers (Eclipse) in the doors using the stock white brackets. He had to grind off a small amount on one side of the bracket but nothing major.

Ok as far as pics go, I'm am getting a digital camera shortly. This is in the process. I'm a little cash shy after spending the bucks on this system but will have pics to show everyone soon.:)

As far as the subwoofer going into the existing enclosure. My understanding was that there are very few subs available due to the lack of depth. Not sure what the enclosure dimensions are. The separate sub enclosure doesn't take up much space in the back at all.

·
Registered
804 Posts
91Octane said:
Interesting about the door speakers. I (installer) was able to get the 6 1/2 in. speakers (Eclipse) in the doors using the stock white brackets. He had to grind off a small amount on one side of the bracket but nothing major.
After reading how so many people were able to get 6.5" speakers installed, and someone mentioning a metal bracket that came with the 652i's, I tried it again. Its a tight fit, but they do fit.
I don't know why the Crutchfield guy didn't mention these brackets. I didn't notice the metal brackets before because they were behind the grills, which I wouldn't have used.
Anyway, thanks to all who have posted about their speaker upgrades. I'm glad I re-read them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by 91Octane

It took me the better part of yesterday set up the gains, High and low pass filters on the amps, and fine tune the head unit for my taste but WOW I couldn't be happier
91Octane,

I took note of your comment above about "tweaking" the amp's settings. Soon I am having component speakers installed up front, with an amp under the passenger seat. I'm under the impression that the ability to adjust those settings is a key to realizing the full potential from a given setup. In other words, one can spend $500 on a decent amp and set of components, but the same setup can sound much better or worse, depending on how skillfully those adjustments are made. Put another way, a real pro can be worth his $$$s if he knows his stuff.

Not having actually installed an amp before, I'm not sure if my assumptions are correct -- do you think what I say above is generally true?

(Anyone with knowledge on this, please feel free to comment).

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great question.

JBucey said:

91Octane,

I took note of your comment above about "tweaking" the amp's settings. Soon I am having component speakers installed up front, with an amp under the passenger seat. I'm under the impression that the ability to adjust those settings is a key to realizing the full potential from a given setup. In other words, one can spend $500 on a decent amp and set of components, but the same setup can sound much better or worse, depending on how skillfully those adjustments are made. Put another way, a real pro can be worth his $$$s if he knows his stuff.

Not having actually installed an amp before, I'm not sure if my assumptions are correct -- do you think what I say above is generally true?

(Anyone with knowledge on this, please feel free to comment).

Thanks.
JBucey, you raise a good point. First off, I would like to say I am by no means an expert, but I think I have a handle on it for my setup. To start, I think the key thing is if your having the installation done professionally, have it done by a reputable, quality installer. By this I mean, having the head unit, amps, sub, speakers wired properly in phase.

Once this is done, the installer will attempt to set up your system the way he thinks it should sound and that's a start. But he won't know what you like as far as tonal balence. The more sophysticated the system, the more adjustments your going to have to setup and fine tune which is actually fun.

If you're using the stock head unit then there is not much to adjust there other than bass, treble, fader, balence. I would suggest to set everything to neutral (zero) before you start.

Chances are if you're buying a good quality amp, you will have high and low pass settings and full range, also gains for front and rear or maybe just one gain. Mine has front and rear.

The most important thing here is to set up the gain properly on the amp. There seems to be a misconception that the gain is a volume control...It's not. What you want to do is match the amp's output to the head unit. In doing so, you don't over drive the amp into clipping and audible distortion. To do this easily, set the amp's gain to zero, then put on a CD that has good dynamic range. Turn up the HU volume until you hear distortion, and back it off until the distortion goes away.

Then with the head unit volume at that level, go you your amp's gain and slowly increase it until you get distortion, then back it off slightly until the distortion goes away. It's going to be very loud, so you may want to have some ear plugs or at least, open all 4 doors when you are doing this. That's it! You now have your amp matched you your head unit. Pretty simple but VERY important.

With that new amp, you will have increased head room and should make for quite a pleasent listening experience.

If your amp has full range, high and low pass filters on it, you can experiment with what sounds best for you. Essentially a high pass filter cuts out mid to low range frequencies, the low pass cuts out mid to high frequencies, and the full range (you guessed it) will reproduce the full spectrum.

All this tweeking takes some time to get it just right for you but it's well worth it. Hope this helps. Enjoy!:D

P.S. There are alot of great articles out there explaining amp set up and the importance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts