20mm washer for the filler plug
2 1/4 of dual pump II honda differential fliud
Bottle transfer pump

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture directions
Remember to pump until u have a stream off fluid pouring out and then quickly put back the washer with the filler plug

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! We also have an existing thread found below at the link that details the same procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank you, oa1583. I'll be doing mine this spring when the weather warms up a bit more. I have the fluid, just been looking around for a transfer pump. The reviews on the Walmart page for the one you posted look pretty good. For $5.20 with tax added I went ahead and ordered one of them for pick up at a local store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, oa1583. I'll be doing mine this spring when the weather warms up a bit more. I have the fluid, just been looking around for a transfer pump. The reviews on the Walmart page for the one you posted look pretty good. For $5.20 with tax added I went ahead and ordered one of them for pick up at a local store.
The pump is pretty good for the price and compare to harbor freight one for 9.99 for my previous suv x5 . Plus it has a yellow screw end cap to prevent run back which i thought was a very good idea...
But at 63k mines was darker red versus the pinkiest color or the new fluid

·
Registered
573 Posts
When was the last time it was changed? It is supposed to be done the first time around 15000 miles, and then every 30000 miles after that for normal use.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Nice call out, I missed the picture scrolling.

Here's the link
Attwood Fluid Pump Walmart

For that price I'll order 2... I was at Walmart last week and they didn't have these in stock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can anyone prepare me for the smell?

The differential fluid in my grand Cherokee smelled like hell. I used to wear double 3M masks and even today I can still smell it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,335 Posts
How could you not like the smell of well used gear oil? :)

I have no idea what the newer Pilot rear differential fluid smells like since mine is a 2005.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oa1583 get yourself a box of the black nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight so you don't have all that nasty oil all over your hands!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can anyone prepare me for the smell?

The differential fluid in my grand Cherokee smelled like hell. I used to wear double 3M masks and even today I can still smell it.

Thanks.
For anyone wondering, the smell is not bad at all. No masks needed.

The pump linked above worked great. I will probably buy another to keep in the garage for future uses.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed mine a couple of months ago and found it an easy task. Drop the spare tire for extra working space and then you can just use a small funnel with some hose attached to get the fluid in. Much easier than using one of those pumps which are designed for marine lower units. You have to get over 2 liters of fluid in there and that is a lot of pumping. Wear rubber gloves too as the stuff is nasty on your skin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts