Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

To "leather" or not to "leather" that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in a Pilot purchaser's mind to suffer the slings and arrows of saggy leather seats or, by opting for cloth, avoid the problem altogether.

A-hem, anyway. Mrs. BlackLion, the BlackLion Cub, and I visited our friendly neighborhood Honda dealer here in the Virginia 'burbs of DC to inquire about delivery times and whatnot.

In the course of our discussion, we asked about the ongoing "saggy leather seat" problem that more than a few Pilot owners here have complained about. The nice, friendly (no sarcasm) sales manager blinked his eyes and stated that he had never heard of the situation, but would contact Honda and look for "bulletins" about this.

We also gave him the address to honda-pilot.org. (Hello again, if it's you stopping-in to check).

What is the latest about the ongoing sagging leather fiasco ? Mrs. BlackLion noticed that the number of new complaints has tailed-off dramatically over the last few months. Could/should we take this to mean that Honda has (gasp) addressed the problem ?

We will be placing our order sometime in March. Any observations or advice concerning leather vs. cloth seats would be most appreciated.

Thank you, all

The BlackLion family

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, having the last 2 Accords in leather, and now the Pilot, I can truely say, get leather.

Easier to get in and out of. Easier to keep clean. It does breath to a point. Heated seats for winter are a must. I love them!

·
Registered
900 Posts
91Octane said:
Well, having the last 2 Accords in leather, and now the Pilot, I can truely say, get leather.

Easier to get in and out of. Easier to keep clean. It does breath to a point. Heated seats for winter are a must. I love them!
Don't rub it in. Us folks in the states can't get heated seats.
You Canadians are lucky!
But I agree, the leather is great. I would never have noticed the very slight sag unless I had read it here. Not very bad at all. I know others disagree.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting point about the sag. I too would not know there was a problem. I guess Honda fixed it before I took delivery.

Well thanks, now that you make me look at it harder, it might have a bit of sag... maybe. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The leather is nice and comfortable. The "sag" isn't present on our Pilot. We purchased our truck in late November.
My co-worker (and fellow board member) purchased an LX in early December. It has cloth seats and they are also comfortable. I think it's going to come down to personal preference with a rare no loose result.:D

·
Registered
991 Posts
Commuter said:
The only thing that bothers me with the leather seat package is that the third row seat comes in vinyl.
If they are going to do it in leather, then it should all be in leather.. I agree.. but not a big deal since third row won't be used that much. I did notice the sag in the drivers seat, but you know what!! If it stays like this, to me it is not a problem.. I got myself all worked up about it, and it is not bad at all... so to the members trying to figure out what they want, TRUST ME, the leather is very nice, and when you get in your pilot, it feels like you are getting into a Mercedes type of luxury! (makes me kind of proud) Thats what my wifes says.

What can I say, love my Pilot

rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I should have gotten leather. The cloth seats are EXTREMELY "grippy" and will not allow you to 'slide' in like leather will.

Granted, the cloth will bring the overall price of your Pilot DOWN by a couple grand......but if you do get cloth, I would recommend getting some kind of plastic seat cover that won't make it so grippy.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Cloth also means no DVD-RES or Navi

BlackLion, don't forget that if you get cloth, then you won't be able to add the NAVI for yourself or the stock DVD-RES for the the BlackLion Cub.

The pilot seat do tend to be more flexible because of the perforated leather, but I've had the EX-L since July and I haven't noticed any more stretch than I expected compared to other leather seats I've had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could do what I did. I wanted the EX-L, but they wouldn't get a silver one in till late january. They had a silver EX that arrived that day which wasn't sold. They offered to put leather in it and I actually got it for less than the EX-L. I was also able to get heated seats installed because it was through the same vendor.

I am very happy with it. IMHO, the leather is better than the factory leather. Mine is not perforated which means if something spills, i can clean it up easily. I do not see any sagging. Finally, the thrid row was also done in the same leather.

The only down side, like Tim S mentioned, you can't get Nav or RES without the factory leather.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know I'm seriously out numbered here but I really like the cloth.
I could've gotten the leather but I didn't like the comfort of the leather as much as the cloth. To me, not sliding around on the seat is a good thing. I especially liked this summer how I didn't burn my legs once (not to mention sweating) and this winter I haven't had to endure the leather being cold either.
I do agree that leather is easier to clean than cloth but all things considered I'd get cloth again. If Honda were to put in a softer leather with heaters (like Toyota does) I might have to reconsider.
The negatives of the cloth to me are the lack of a leather steering wheel and the vinyl and rubber armrest pads. As for resale, If there's a huge disparity when I go to sell it I'll put it in then sell it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah I hear ya.. that's to bad Honda could not figure a way cost wise to put heaters in the U.S. models. Here in B.C. the temperature has not gotten really cold yet, around -3 or -4, but the seats really are not cold when you first get into them. Not sure how they are going to be in the summer, but with the awesome AC, I don't think I will sweat too much. Also, I think the leather is very soft in the Pilot, but then again, this is my first SUV with leather. In all my other vehicles I have had cloth and like them alot, but I thought I would get a change, and like the leather also.

In Vancouver, my dealer was saying that they can't sell the Pilot in cloth, and they are going to change them all to leather! I find that hard to believe, I guess this years choice is leather..

take care
rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
I traded my 2001 V6 Accord with leather for my Pilot. In my opinion, the Pilot's leather quality is better. The fit and finish is better, as well as the Pilot's leather is more supple.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Originally I didn't want to get the leather because I wanted to save money on the purchase. The only car the dealer had was a EX-L and I needed to buy immediately, so I bit the bullet and bought the EX-L. I've got to say, as many posters to this thread already have, that the leather is both luxurious and, and this is very important if you have kids, easy to clean. My kids eat all sorts of stuff in the car (it helps keep em quiet) so there are inevitably lots of crumbs. It is ultimately a personal decision, but there are a lot of benefits to the leather.

Evergreen

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm with Bill R - I chose cloth for overall comfort for the rest of my passengers in cold and hot weather. I've had leather in other vehicles but I decided to change to cloth for the comfort of my other passengers.

The non-leather steering wheel is actually quite nice (unlike some Big 3 vehicles) and I've had leather steering wheel covers that have deteriorated with sweat over time. The odd thing is that the center console arm rest is leather regardless of the seat materials.

However, if you have a Golden Retreiver which sheds alot (like the one I have), leather would make it easier to clean.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority too in that I like cloth interior. I agree with everyone's pro and cons for each material so far. :)

The only thing I can add is that after 29,000 miles my cloth interior in my CR-V looks as good as new, whereas, leather tends to get creases in the material as the miles add up, especially in the driver's seat. :(

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have leather in my Pilot and in my wife's MDX. Leather is the way to go. I have also added heated seats and a remote starter. All that plus my new Honda snowblower makes the winters in Orchard Park(just south of Buffalo)bearable. I think I'm actually starting to like the winter because of the way the Pilot drives in snow !!Regards, Tom

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Leather

I am happy with my choice of Leather seats over Cloth. I chose the RES, so there really wasn't much of a choice. They look great, and are easy to keep clean. Leather stretches, so the minor sag doesn't bother me. After all, if my butt is on the seat and it is comfortable, what else should I worry about?

:12:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts