Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Do you gap your plugs before installing?

• Yes (and anyone who doesn't is an idiot)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes (but only because its "the right thing to do" and I'm a perfectionist)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No (but I know I should)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (because its not necessary)

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of discussion on replacing the spark plugs, but not much discussion on gapping them once you get the right ones. How important is it to gap the plugs prior to installing them?

And (even if in principle, not practice), can the engine/computer compensate for mis-gapped or otherwise not-in-good-shape plugs?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The modern platinum/Iridium/etc. plugs come pre gapped. They are packaged with protective collars to maintain that gap. There's no need to mess with the gap, and you could possibly damage the tiny platinum buttons if you try. Just put them in and relax.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
If they are NGK Iridiums, install out of the box.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
As long as you didn't buy them on flea-bay or Amazon. The counterfeiters don't bother to gap them to factory specs.
I posted pics of my Amazon NGKs. They were made in JAPAN. Just imported from another factory for 2/3 less.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
I posted pics of my Amazon NGKs. They were made in JAPAN. Just imported from another factory for 2/3 The price.
Not everything on either is counterfeit, there are good sellers, however I have NEVER gotten a counterfeit part from here:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Nope, just torque them in there to spec and verify that from time to time, since if you don't regularly keep an eye on them they may back out..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I always check the gap. Takes 5 seconds to do and justifies me having the tool.

Nope, just torque them in there to spec and verify that from time to time, since if you don't regularly keep an eye on them they may back out..

Oh boy, we have a new thread idea! This has been a classic on other forums... do you torque your spark plugs or no? Do you use anti-seize? Oh man we may have some great debates coming!

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
I always check the gap. Takes 5 seconds to do and justifies me having the tool.

Oh boy, we have a new thread idea! This has been a classic on other forums... do you torque your spark plugs or no? Do you use anti-seize? Oh man we may have some great debates coming!
Torque ✔
Anti-seize 🚫

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it sounds like everyone agrees that spark plugs should be gapped correctly.

What we don't agree on is if quality plugs come pre-gapped consistently enough to trust without verifying.

I think I'll be checking, but only re-gapping if something is seriously off the mark. Will take less than 5 min. to check all plugs.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I check the gap just for peace of mind, but they've always been within spec. A very very light application of antiseize on a few threads, then cinch it down with an impact wrench to about 3 ugga-duggas, similar to my wheel lug nuts. ;)

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Three is midrange. One is usually not enough. Five is too much.
Per the Holy Scriptures, book of Chilton......

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Wrench. Then, shalt turn the Holy Wrench on the Spark Plug thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt turn, and the number of the turning shall be three. Four shalt thou not turn, nor either turn thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, removes thou thy Holy wrench of Antioch.”

1 - 20 of 23 Posts