Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a Pilot!

Votes: 30 96.8%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decisions.Decisions.Decisions. I come from the world of Subaru but now that I tow a small camper trailer ( 13 ft. Scamp -1200 lbs. Pls. don't laugh.), I decided I wanted more towing power. After an exhaustive search over 4 continents and hours in numerous dealerships mainly comparing the BMW X5 is it?, new Volvo XC90, Highlander, Lexus 300, Mercedes SUV, Ford Explorers, and reading tons of magazines and websites, I figure the Pilot offers by far the most SUV for the money. My primary concern is safety so I like it's wider track which is 4 inches wider than the Highlander. It also offers more horses and torque. I didn't like the sloshing gas but maybe could live with it.

Here's what worries me most after reading some of the problems you're having with your Pilots: 1. Flat tires or tires blowing out and/or not handling snow and ice well which affects braking. I live in MPLS. so cold and snow are a part of life. This brings me to #2. The STARTER problem.

I'm a nervous driver. Size isn't an issue. I want a trustworthy,safe vehicle. And I want to keep it a long, long time. Let me know what you think. Of course the Pilot is about $10,000 less than the Volvo.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All the vehicles you mention have their strong and weak points. If you are mainly concerned with snow and ice I think the Pilot is a good choice. It is primarily a front wheel drive vehicle and power is shifted to the rear wheels as needed. Since it uses clutches rather than a transfer case, three wheels receive power. Many four wheel drive systems without limited slip differentials only drive one front and one rear wheel. If the tires are a large concern, many people have replaced them for around $500. Even if you factor in replacing the tires right away the Pilot is still a good value.
Last Friday we had a snow storm of large wet flakes and I had to go out in it. I had no trouble accelerating but turning and stopping were horrible. For the amount of snow we get in St. Louis I can live with the tires but I will be glad when it is time to replace them.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I went with all the same choices you had. Only did not look at the Volvo (I find it ugly IMHO). I finally decided on the Pilot because it was the most car for the money.

I dont think the starting problem is a big thing. Bye new tires for $500 and 7year warranty for $800 and you still come out ahead. Remember maintainance will be cheaper than the luxary brands too.

Plus it has a real sweet ride and handles well in snow.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Who won the toss?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Scamps,

I too am in Mpls and have not had issues driving in the snow yet. All vehicles will have their issues, no matter what you pick.

Good luck in your shopping.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Scamps,
You mention that you come from a world of Subaru ownership. Let me start with this (all in my not-so-humble-opinion), Subaru has it's act together when it comes to their AWD system. I've owned 5 Subarus and I never felt insecure when driving in winter conditions (Colorado mountains). But if you want to pull much of a trailer, I wouldn't try it either with a Sub - even with the 3.0 engine.

When I went looking for a new vehicle, I was not even considering SUV's. I needed more room and was at first looking at the Odyssey. I then started looking at SUV's, including some that you looked at.

Then came the Pilot and the more I read, the more I thought it would end up being my top choice. After seeing one it person and then test driving, there was no question. I too had some reservations about how well the Pilot AWD system would perform for me - but after a couple winter trips into the Black Hills area of South Dakota and now some of our recent winter conditions here in Colorado - I'm EXTREMELY happy with it!! :awais:

As for "problems". One time my crank time was more than I thought was normal. I still don't know (and either Honda doesn't or isn't telling) what this is caused by. Some say key recognition - some say fuel pump (where I would probably put my vote), some say voodoo dolls, some say timing belts (???). Again, in my not-so-humble-opinion, had I not all ready bought a Pilot - the "starting problem" would NOT sway me away from it.

Good luck!!

rod

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone

It took me a few days to figure out how to post replies,but I want to thank you all for your feedback. Here's where I'm at. I found a dealer who will sell me the Pilot EX with leather and the tow package for $31,177. That includes destination but not ttl.What do you think? Other dealers refused to budge. I got $750 off the sticker.No trade in. I'm holding off on crossbars and this and that. I notice tom sells stuff but by the time you pay for labor....Can i do better? Where do you think? Dealers in MPLS are challenging.

·
Registered
486 Posts
PorscheLite

If I didn't need seating for six I would get the Volkswagon Touareg.
Handsdown. Drove a demo. Me likes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts