Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot LX & 2021 Pilot Special Edition
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Spending some time recently detailing my 2004 Pilot (211K miles) - working on the exterior now. I don't think I ever waxed it - maybe just some spray wax a few years ago. It was in South Florida sun for 10 years, and the past 7 years in Virginia. Never garaged. Surprisingly enough the paint is in relatively good shape. I was looking at compound/polish/wax products - and was hoping to get opinions. I'm thinking of the Mothers Complete Ultimate Wax System Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NUJFTM).

I was also planning on doing this by hand, and I don't have an orbital polisher. But if it makes a big difference in outcome (and perhaps easier?) - then I'd buy one to do the job.

Any product recommendations, tips, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Using a system is a good idea for a beginner. I started with the Meguiar's stuff, but I doubt it will make a difference.

I suspect that given the age and conditions the car has experienced, a "micro-polishing glaze" isn't going to be aggressive enough to give you a good payoff on your work. I would start with a light to medium compound, at least.

However, unless you never intend to detail and wax it again, don't do it by hand. You will be hating life long before you're done trying to manually detail an entire Pilot. There's a Porter-Cable random orbital sander that is a great tool for a beginner.

I think the main thing before you invest in a system is to decide what kind of results you want. If you just want it more shiny than it is now as a one-off project, just about anything will work. If you want to get it closer to "like new" and keep it that way, you'll need a system and a longer-term plan. There's lots of resources here on the forum and on the internet - dig into those before you spend any money. This thread is a great recent example of the full process. This one shows the results of using a modern ceramic coating.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,259 Posts
However, unless you never intend to detail and wax it again, don't do it by hand. You will be hating life long before you're done trying to manually detail an entire Pilot.
I reached that point when I was still a teenager full of vim and vigor. I can't remember if I even finished the job, I've never waxed a car by hand again, and I resumed loving life.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
better yet, just pay a detailing place to do it maybe once every other year, then just maintain it with a spray detailer.
I have used mother's products in the past including their clay bar kit and synthetic wax polish, both with great results. nothing wrong with waxing by hand but I do have a cordless random orbital and it helps a lot . still get fatigued with all the vibration. I may eventually get a polisher

·
Registered
574 Posts
better yet, just pay a detailing place to do it maybe once every other year, then just maintain it with a spray detailer.
That's a great suggestion. Between tools and consumables, you'll spend a few hundred dollars getting started. If making paint shiny doesn't sound like a fun new hobby, just pay the man and drive away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts