Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm in the middle of a divorce I'm gonna get rid of the 18 exl and try get into something with no payment. Ive been looking at Highlanders, pilots, and 4runners I think the crvs and rav4 to small fo my 3 carseats....

Anyway I just wanna rant about all the crap im running into. So far all I can find is high priced/high mileage garbage or I find something that looks decent it turns out to be a title jumper (someone who bought the car but never titled it) and I find some serious issue with it. Oh and dealers pretending to be private sales is always a fun one.
Example found a 06 EXL 143k for $3100. Looks clean in the pics guy says the timing belt and water pump were done in the last 40k but when I dig his story doesn't make sense. I ask for the vin and find out although he said he's the 3rd owner he's not he bought it from the 3rd owner. I called him out on it and he finally caved and said he bought it 2 weeks ago and did some work to it... Heres the interesting part last year 03/19 it had 142,474... Now it has 143,038. Now could it have sat for a year sure but with the stupid story i got from that guy I'm not gonna take that chance.

4th title jumper and 3rd mileage discrepancy Ive run into so far in my search. Just needed to rant a but about it!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Eesh, but you're welcome to unbottle your rant here rather than when those 3 car seats are filled. :)

It's so frustrating that the simple act of buying a used car is fraught with scammers and the dregs of humanity.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they hear enough as it is out of my mouth! ? I hate people, Cant try to buy anything used without someone trying to scam someone. I was hoping to find something soon but no luck yet!

·
Administrator
15,569 Posts
That low mileage over a year could easily have been a rebuilt total loss. How else can you explain such a small change?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Don't have any advice, just want to wish you the best. I can't imagine how tough your situation must be.

Reactions: Iaschneider5

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,016 Posts
Best of luck finding something. Only bit of advice I can give is trust your gut feeling (appears you’ve got that covered) and have a potential purchase inspected by your trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Buying a used car is an exercise in patience.

Look at 500, call on 50, look at 5, buy one. They are out there. But it takes perseverance, patience, and a little luck.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Sorry to hear about the situation... best of luck, buying used cars is a challenging process and it only gets worse the higher mileage and older you go.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
937 Posts
I am sorry you are having so much trouble...not just with the car.
Buying used cars is such a pain. Don't have much advice other than don't fall for anything and question everything the seller tells you. There are tons of resources available to buyers so you can get the full picture of the car you are buying.
Good luck!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah I've been through this before. Im 30 and have owned more cars then years ive been alive... I believe my next one will be 38 or 39.. Maybe Ill make a list. I am my trusted my own trusted mechanic! I know what im looking at which makes the process a little better but I still get carfax/autocheck reports which can tell the issues like the mileage issues. I have a site that I can get them at a discount so if anyone is interested I can share that info!

Without looking at the car I cant tell if It was crashed or not but Im not gonna waste my time driving over an hour for it just to find out.
I did reach out to the name on title but haven't heard back from her yet. She lives closer to me then where the car is currently located so figured why not ask!

I was hoping to get rid of my current pilot before the next payment but the way things are looking that won't be happening.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing that gets me is if your gonna lie to me right out of the gate what else are you lying about?! or trying to hide

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The thing that gets me is if your gonna lie to me right out of the gate what else are you lying about?! or trying to hide
My grandfather used to buy used cars for dirt cheap, fix the problem and sell them for a couple hundred bucks profit where he lives in SW VA. He always told me he didn't want to become a real dealer because you can't be successful as an honest used car dealer. Instead he would do that for friends and family and church members while he relied on his pension as his income.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have nothing against someone trying to make some extra money shoot ive flipped cars myself but I haven't done any title jumping but when someone feeds me bs from the start and then add in the low miles in a year plus the price is a tad low for what it should be it just doesn't add up.

If he had said from the start that he bought it and fixed it up to flip I would have been like ok np what did you do to it and does it need anything else. The low miles in a year still would have made me think something was up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Low miles is totally possible if car was bought as a 'fix-it' project, not intended to be actively driven. If the guy has another car he normally drives, this one might see very little road time. A neighbor of mine has like 3 cars in his yard in various stage of repair that haven't been moved in months. Or if the car was a 'secondary'. My uncle drives around in a Lexus SUV, but he also bought a used Ferrari 'for fun'. That car spends 99% of its time in the garage, he only occasionally takes it to nearby race track for a spin, or sometimes to arrive 'in style' to a party. Probably put less than 500 miles on it in the 5 years he had it. I recently traded in a car I bought new back in 2009, after 10 years it had less than 25k miles on it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Low miles is totally possible if car was bought as a 'fix-it' project, not intended to be actively driven. If the guy has another car he normally drives, this one might see very little road time. A neighbor of mine has like 3 cars in his yard in various stage of repair that haven't been moved in months. Or if the car was a 'secondary'. My uncle drives around in a Lexus SUV, but he also bought a used Ferrari 'for fun'. That car spends 99% of its time in the garage, he only occasionally takes it to nearby race track for a spin, or sometimes to arrive 'in style' to a party. Probably put less than 500 miles on it in the 5 years he had it. I recently traded in a car I bought new back in 2009, after 10 years it had less than 25k miles on it.
He got it 2 weeks ago and said it was sitting for 8 months prior so that still leaves 3 months to account for the 500 miles driven and based on the carfax the 3rd owner put miles on quick since buying it so it still doesn't make sense.

Hes a flipper he admitted after I called him out on the different name on the title. Currently has 3 other cars for sale. Most of the dang cars I find are people title jumping and when I ask for the VIN they stop responding. For me between the price that seems a bit low, him telling me he was the 3rd owner which was bs and then the low mileage in a year just doesn't seem like something I wanna get into.

I think I'm just gonna pick something up at a copart auction. At least with that I can go look at it and they provide the auto check for free.

I went to look at a 2007 Toyota 4runne today. Good carfax, 1 owner and only 60k. They wanted 10k and it was from a major manufacture dealer. The price seemed a tad low but I figured why not look, once I got there the price jumped 5k and the salesman said it was a take it or leave it deal.... I was in that business before so I quickly shot him down and once he recovered from the verbal beating I gave him the manager offered me the car at 10500 but I suspect it was just get me out the door because conveniently the car wouldn't be available to look at until tomorrow. What fun the car business is...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Used car business sure is. Both sides actually. Selling a car privately, the ratio of scammers to legit buyers is about 10 to 1.
Last time I bought used was in 1996.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used car business sure is. Both sides actually. Selling a car privately, the ratio of scammers to legit buyers is about 10 to 1.
Last time I bought used was in 1996.
Yeah I was hoping to keep this pilot until it dies but life decided to change on me. Looking at a 04 4runner tomorrow. original owner carfax lines up so hopefully. And I hope i can fit the carseats in.

The title jumpers flooded the market my me and its hard to tell what's good and what's bad without checking out every single car and I don't have the time for that. Its nuts.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
937 Posts
Man I’d jump on a good 4Runner in a heartbeat. Hope it turns out well!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I’d jump on a good 4Runner in a heartbeat. Hope it turns out well!
I'm thinking about going to look at it in a bit. 04 with 87k but his asking price is a tad high. $7900 but he's the original owner and after speaking with him Ive determined he actually is the original owner lol Just gotta figure out if the 3 car seats will fit in the back. And Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts