Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It actually rained, that's right, rained lastnight this here neck of the woods. But of course, the temperature did dip down to subfreezing level overnight which made the roads really slippery.

So, I was being very careful this morning as I ventured out on the roads and I found them not as bad as I thought it was going to be, since the city had laid salt and sand overnight. I had to stop by Staples to pick up a few things for the office. The parking lot, I should've known, was as slippery as an ice rink, not having any salt or sand on the surface.

But I never accounted for that and as I was taking a turn, my Pilot kept on going and no matter how hard I had pressed on the brakes, I was heading towards one of those cement filled steel posts you sometimes see in parking lots.

I wasn't going that fast at all. I would guess even less than 5KM/H, which is probably like 3MPH. But I still hit it!!!:3: :3: :3: It was such an utterly helpless feeling.

I got out of the car immediately and took a look at the damage, shaking badly, and wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did hear a loud pop, but the only visual damage I can spot was this small mark on the black plastic part of the front bumper. I looked for any fender or bumper alignment abnormalities and there were none. One thing I should mention is that the post actually moved when I hit it and after a closer look, the post was never embedded in the ground securely at all. Perhaps that helped in my Pilot not sustanining too much damage.

But I still took it to a Honda dealer and had a service advisor take a look at it. He looked under the car and everything and he believed also that there were no structural damage at all. But I still asked a service technician to take a look at it and told me that that could take a while since they were swamped. But he assured me that besides the small mark on the black plastic part of the bumper, there doesn't seem to be any other damage at all.

What would you guys check out if this happened to you? Would you still insist on a more thorough inspection? I couldn't wait around for long since I had to get to the office. What sort of things should I be on the look out for the next few days which would indicate a structural/engine damage? TIA.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Look at the bright side...

...at least your hood is OK.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Look at the bright side...

2k3_nbp said:
...at least your hood is OK.
ROFLMAO!!!! Indeed, indeed! Just when you thought I was done with my sorry a** hood story, I spring up another story, eh?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hope all is ok!

I guess all the VTM/ABS and any other technology wont stop a car from sliding on a icy pavement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You didn't get the ballistic anchor option? It's a spike with an explosive charge behind it chained to the frame of your car. If you are sliding out of control on ice or other slippery surface, you hit the panic switch and the spike is propelled into the surface beneath the car anchoring it so it cannot slide any further. It is located at the center of the frame so the car cannot spin around extending closer to the danger.

If you had this option, you could have stopped before hitting the post.

Note: Someone should invent this device and pay me lots of money for the idea.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I wonder if the MDX's VSA would have helped in this situation... :confused:

·
Registered
991 Posts
No kidding, you patten it, I will sell it for you!

(RipRock,, ohh, man,, the HOOD is ok! and you are too!! wheeohhh.........

rob

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
GreenMachine said:
I wonder if the MDX's VSA would have helped in this situation... :confused:
NOPE!!!!

Remember, you may be driving a 4WD now, but you always had 4WB (4 wheel brakes). No traction is no traction, and there is no magic to fix it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N_Jay said:
NOPE!!!!

Remember, you may be driving a 4WD now, but you always had 4WB (4 wheel brakes). No traction is no traction, and there is no magic to fix it.
Yeah, I was thinking about whether a stability control would've helped too and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have helped me at all. There's almost a perverse comfort in knowing that my Pilot did all it can. It was just the driver being stupid.

N_Jay, would you still insist on a closer inspection of the car or would you be satisifed with what my service advisor told me based on what said above?

Also, the depression on the bump is minimal, but still noticeable close up. Do you think using some autobody filler to fill that little depression and use some paint to match the black plastic will work? Someone at work told me I could try doing that when the weather gets a bit warmer. I don't know anything about it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
RipRocK said:
...I wasn't going that fast at all. I would guess even less than 5KM/H, which is probably like 3MPH. But I still hit it!!!:3: :3: :3: It was such an utterly helpless feeling...

...One thing I should mention is that the post actually moved when I hit it and after a closer look, the post was never embedded in the ground securely at all. Perhaps that helped in my Pilot not sustaining too much damage...
As I was reading your post, I was cringing :eek: and afraid you sideswiped the post. Glad it wasn't a fender or door.

In the olden days, your only hope would have been to throw it in reverse and try to slow your skid. ABS is great for wet pavement, but I don't know about a sheet of ice. Did you feel the brake pedal pulse when tried to stop?

Good thing you were only going 5kph and the post wasn't anchored. I don't think you did any engine damage and probably no structural damage except for the visible mark.

I really hope everything turns out okay.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: 'Tis The Season Of Horror!!

tim.s said:

As I was reading your post, I was cringing :eek: and afraid you sideswiped the post. Glad it wasn't a fender or door.

In the olden days, your only hope would have been to throw it in reverse and try to slow your skid. ABS is great for wet pavement, but I don't know about a sheet of ice. Did you feel the brake pedal pulse when tried to stop?
Oh, yes, indeed. Sounded like fire crackers going off under my hood.

Good thing you were only going 5kph and the post wasn't anchored. I don't think you did any engine damage and probably no structural damage except for the visible mark.

I really hope everything turns out okay.
Yeah, me too. I have my second scheduled service coming up soon at the 12000KM mark, so even if nothing manifests itself, I'll make sure they give it a thorough check then. Just when I had the hood problem all solved, this had to happen.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Relax

I would doubt you did any damage.

If you are real nervous, you could have teh bumper removed to check, but that is probably overkill.

ABS is wonderfull, but in reality it does not often help you stop any faster than you could have on your own. (Unless you panic and lock up the brakes). What it does do is allow you to control the car up to the traction limits of the tires and road conditions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Also, the depression on the bump is minimal, but still noticeable close up. Do you think using some autobody filler to fill that little depression and use some paint to match the black plastic will work?
RipRock, I don't know if this will help, it depends on the type of depression in your bumper, but my wife once backed our jeep into a tree leaving a couple of dents in the rear hatch. I used a toilet plunger to remove one fairly large dent and a small suction cup to remove the smaller dent.

Evergreen

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Evergreen said:

RipRock, I don't know if this will help, it depends on the type of depression in your bumper, but my wife once backed our jeep into a tree leaving a couple of dents in the rear hatch. I used a toilet plunger to remove one fairly large dent and a small suction cup to remove the smaller dent.

Evergreen
Cool, I'll have to remember that in case I ever end up with a dent like that. I guess I'm just being paranoid here and a bit anal too. The dent I have is about 3/4 inch wide, if that and the depress is probably about 1/8 deep and since it's on the black part of the bumper, it's hard to see. But still, I know it's there. Oh, well, I really should be thankful that that's all I have and nobody or no other car was involved. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Relax

N_Jay said:
I would doubt you did any damage.

If you are real nervous, you could have teh bumper removed to check, but that is probably overkill.
You're probably right. I'm just being a bit too anal here with this.

ABS is wonderfull, but in reality it does not often help you stop any faster than you could have on your own. (Unless you panic and lock up the brakes). What it does do is allow you to control the car up to the traction limits of the tires and road conditions.
Right, right. But since there was no traction at all at the time when the mini crash took place, it didn't help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts