Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't wait for snow!! Well, ok I can, but I am looking forward to trying out the Pilot in the white stuff. Nothing like breezing out of your driveway with a foot of snow down while everyone else is busy shovelling :D

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to ditch the tires for some better all seasons (Michelins have been mentioned here), or just keep these Goodyears for summer and get some real snow tires.

I would prefer to have good snows on, but I also don't like these OEM tires, and I see on tirerack.com that the Michelins get a pretty decent snow traction rating. (And I don't want to buy 2 new sets of tires just yet!). If I go for snows, does anyone have knowledge of some good snows that will fit? I have blizzaks on my Audi and have been very happy with them.

Opinions? Experiences?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Winter Tires

I've had good experience with Yokohama Guardex's for the past 5 winters.

I'm still debating whether I really need snow tires. They have been great with my previous FWD vehicles but I'm still wondering whether they are necessary with 4WD. Of course you have "better" snow conditions in Ottawa than we have in SW Ontario.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm passing on the snow tires...with AWD, you should be ok. Even the cheap Integritys should be ok for a few seasons...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll be looking for LX steel wheels and a good set of winter tire's, maybe studded, by next year. This year I may just get a couple sets of cable chains. AWD doesn't do much more than 4WD or FWD on glare ice. Been there, done that!:eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NHPilot said:
I'll be looking for LX steel wheels and a good set of winter tire's, maybe studded, by next year. This year I may just get a couple sets of cable chains. AWD doesn't do much more than 4WD or FWD on glare ice. Been there, done that!:eek:
Exactly. Tires make a BIG difference. Snow tires will give you significantly better (up to 50% according to some tests) stopping power over all-seasons on snow/ice. I know that some all-seasons are getting better with snow/ice performance, but you're still making tradeoffs of snow/ice traction against noise/ride/longevity/hot weather performance. There, I just convinced myself! :27: Gonna get snows...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just receeived a Winter Circular from Tirerack. Their running a special for the Pilot - 4 new 16" steel wheels with covers + 4 Michelin Artic-Alpin tires, which do VERY well, in all the tests, for $558.00
SInce I need a full size spare anyway, this would solve that problem as well.

What do people think abouth these tires and the price?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jfrano said:
Just receeived a Winter Circular from Tirerack. Their running a special for the Pilot - 4 new 16" steel wheels with covers + 4 Michelin Artic-Alpin tires, which do VERY well, in all the tests, for $558.00
SInce I need a full size spare anyway, this would solve that problem as well.

What do people think abouth these tires and the price?

Thanks
Joe
If that's Canadian $ that's an awesome price! But, I'm guessing that's US$. That's not bad but not amazing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Winter bliss

Thus far this year, we have had 2 snow events, both of which I had to drive in the white stuff. The first storm gave me fears that I had bought the wrong vehicle, some of the worst snow driving i had ever felt. All 4 wheels were spinning but they could get no traction. I called American Honda to gripe about the tires, they told me that it was decided to use the intergrity's based on their wishes for the vehicle and good years recomendation. They then gave me Good-Years phone number and I called them the next day. They advised me that Honda had decided on the tires based on HONDA's needs and budget for the vehicle. Good year added that the tires were not for snow, and not desined for Sport Utility use. They refused to pro-rate the tires for a better match for my driving needs. The day before the second snow storm (and it was a doosy, 13 inches here) I went to Cooper and bought 4 AT tires. HOLY COW, what a difference, the 4 wheel drive system never slipped. I am a Volunteer Firefighter here and responded to 4 or 5 calls, and never had a single problem. The truck has the ability, but the tires mute that ability heavilly. Good treuck, with poor tires. This is my 5th Sport Ute, the first one without a Transfer case shifter, and I was weary. But the tires I bought eased my feelings about my $32,000 purchase.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Opinions are wonderful. I am oposite of Jeffola, I found myself in 6 inch snow, slush, and the following morning........ice. I loved it. I flat floored it on the street and shot straight with very little tire spin. I was on a flat street with no hills. I am sure I could find better tires, but with the ability to find better places for my money, I can't seem to find myself replacing brand new tires that work fine (for me).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts