Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due to get all 4 tires new since they are almost bald. I was going to wait till the next oil change (am at 40%) but one of the tires was sitting at the rims this morning. I'm kicking myself since it looks like I just missed Michelin July 4th sale that expired yesterday

Discount Tires is recommending Defender LTX and they'll give me $70 off. They have to order two tires to get here today. Alternatively I could go with Pirella which they have all 4 in stock. Which should I go with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Michelin is almost always a string choice. LTX should give good treadwear as well as traditional Michelin strengths of quiet ride and being easy to balance, which yields a smoother ride.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have the Costco version of the Defender LTX (X LT A/S model) on the Traverse and Pirelli Scorpion on the Pilot. I like them both but think I prefer the Michelin ever so slightly. I like this series of Michelin (dating back to the LTX M/S) but have not liked Michelin's more car-like SUV tires, like the OEM tire.

Reactions: GurlRDX

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
I have the Costco version of the Defender LTX (X LT A/S model) on the Traverse and Pirelli Scorpion on the Pilot. I like them both but think I prefer the Michelin ever so slightly. I like this series of Michelin (dating back to the LTX M/S) but have not liked Michelin's more car-like SUV tires, like the OEM tire.
Yes that’s a good point. You can get the Michelin Defender T+H or the Defender LTX. Most people go for the LTX because it’s a bit more heavy duty and will last longer. I’m not sure why they make 2 different variations that both work on Pilots.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes that’s a good point. You can get the Michelin Defender T+H or the Defender LTX. Most people go for the LTX because it’s a bit more heavy duty and will last longer. I’m not sure why they make 2 different variations that both work on Pilots.
I view the T+H as the evolution of the OEM Primacy MXV4 tire that came on the Pilot... soft and good for the ride and noise but don't last long and not good for heavy loads. I always prefer to go up a level in tire weight ratings when I replace my OEM tires, peace of mind since I am often filling the vehicle with people or things or towing.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! I'll go ahead and spend a bit more on the defender. I checked Costco and they are currently out of the defender as I was weighing between going with them vs Discount Tires.

I was told I needed alignment at the last oil change. Should I wait until am due (at 40% right now) or go ahead and get it done ASAP once the new tires are installed?

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Thank you everyone! I'll go ahead and spend a bit more on the defender. I checked Costco and they are currently out of the defender as I was weighing between going with them vs Discount Tires.

I was told I needed alignment at the last oil change. Should I wait until am due (at 40% right now) or go ahead and get it done ASAP once the new tires are installed?
Get the alignment done ASAP once the new tires are installed.

Note that the Continental CrossContact LX25 is rated number one in its category by Tire Rack customers, while the Michelin Defender LTX is not.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

Continental tire $70 rebate: Continental

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Definitely get the alignment done ASAP, why risk any adverse wear on brand new tires?

Reactions: Canebrake

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Note that the Continental CrossContact LX25 is rated number one in its category by Tire Rack customers, while the Michelin Defender LTX is not.

Thanks! I'll see if Discount Tires has Continental in stock and how they compare price-wise to the Michelin. I'm riding on a donut so will go with what they have on hand in the AM.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts

These tires are in 2 different categories so it's not really fair to go off of the ratings. Also the Michelins have over 10 million miles reported while the Continentals have 114,000. Not saying its a bad tires because I have no idea, but it's clear that the Michelin Defenders are some of the best if you're willing to spend the money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These tires are in 2 different categories so it's not really fair to go off of the ratings. Also the Michelins have over 10 million miles reported while the Continentals have 114,000. Not saying its a bad tires because I have no idea, but it's clear that the Michelin Defenders are some of the best if you're willing to spend the money.
I did see Discount Tires doesn't currently have any ratings for the Continental CrossCountry. It is $30 cheaper than the Michelin though. I did a bit more research online and the consensus seems to be Michelin Defenders can't be beat for the most part. My local Discount Tire doesn't have the Continentals in stock and they already ordered the Michelin Defenders today so I think that's what am going to go with.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I'm due to get all 4 tires new since they are almost bald. I was going to wait till the next oil change (am at 40%) but one of the tires was sitting at the rims this morning. I'm kicking myself since it looks like I just missed Michelin July 4th sale that expired yesterday

Discount Tires is recommending Defender LTX and they'll give me $70 off. They have to order two tires to get here today. Alternatively I could go with Pirella which they have all 4 in stock. Which should I go with?
What are you currently driving on? What is your driving habits, style, or weather like?
The Michelin Defender LTX is a Highway All Season tire with an XL rating. It's more of a truck tire. Someone here not long ago was not happy because it was a rough ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Current tires are Firestone Destination LE2. I live in the South so we barely get any snow. Now that I work from home my driving is almost exclusively stop & go/streets. I usually do one Summer road trip but it doesn't look like that is going to happen this year. The pilot is sort of a rough and heavy ride coming from an RDX. My brother complains its easier to drive his straight truck than the pilot and the current tires make the car look low profile (not sure if that can be helped).

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Current tires are Firestone Destination LE2. I live in the South so we barely get any snow. Now that I work from home my driving is almost exclusively stop & go/streets. I usually do one Summer road trip but it doesn't look like that is going to happen this year. The pilot is sort of a rough and heavy ride coming from an RDX. My brother complains its easier to drive his straight truck than the pilot and the current tires make the car look low profile (not sure if that can be helped).
The Pilot is not going to handle like the RDX, which is a smaller vehicle riding on low-profile high-performance tires.
You can get higher performance sport truck/SUV tires, but the ride quality may be a trade-off.

If the Pirelli tire that Discount Tire has is the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, you might want try it.
Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tires - For SUV and Crossover | Pirelli
Along with the Continental LX25, it performed very well in a Tire Rack comparison test.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Since your doing a lot of city street driving, you definitely want to find a tire with a high UTQG rating/70-80k mile tire. The Michelin Defender LTX has a great UTQG but they are not forgiving if you hit a pothole. They will seriously beat you to death. For your type of driving, this is what I would choose. It's ranked #1 in the standard touring category. Continental Truecontact Tour. Have them order and match Tire Rack price.

This is a Standard Load tire with max inflation of 51psi. This allows you to add 3 to 5 psi more to support your vehicle without feeling your riding on truck tires.
Here's the specs.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Since your doing a lot of city street driving, you definitely want to find a tire with a high UTQG rating/70-80k mile tire. The Michelin Defender LTX has a great UTQG but they are not forgiving if you hit a pothole. They will seriously beat you to death. For your type of driving, this is what I would choose. It's ranked #1 in the standard touring category. Continental Truecontact Tour. Have them order and match Tire Rack price.
View attachment 137837
View attachment 137838
This is a Standard Load tire with max inflation of 51psi. This allows you to add 3 to 5 psi more to support your vehicle without feeling your riding on truck tires.
Here's the specs.
View attachment 137839
Aren't you concerned about the light weight of this tire?
You always bring up that factor when touting the Sumitomo tires you prefer.
Many other tires in this size weigh about 32 lbs.
How well will this particular Continental tire hold up if you hit that pothole you mentioned?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Aren't you concerned about the light weight of this tire?
You always bring up that factor when touting the Sumitomo tires you prefer.
Many other tires in this size weigh about 32 lbs.
How well will this particular Continental tire hold up if you hit that pothole you mentioned?
I think in this case for the OP in the city, the 60k mile Sumitomo HTR AS P02 will probably not last more than 2 years, turning left and right many times a day. It's a great highway tire and city tire for around $500, but go into it knowing 2 years max.
Yes, I also know about the light weight of this Continental Truecontact. What even more amazing about this tire is it has the higher max inflation value and it's lighter! I actually own a set of these on my #2 Honda Crosstour for that reason and I didn't pay $200+ a tire. 😁

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
I think in this case for the OP in the city, the 60k mile Sumitomo HTR AS P02 will probably not last more than 2 years, turning left and right many times a day. It's a great highway tire and city tire for around $500, but go into it knowing 2 years max.
Yes, I also know about the light weight of this Continental Truecontact. What even more amazing about this tire is it has the higher max inflation value and it's lighter! I actually own a set of these on my #2 Honda Crosstour for that reason and I didn't pay $200+ a tire. 😁
So, maybe the OP should pick a tire with the best treadlife warranty?

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S treadlife warranty is for 6 Years / 70,000 Miles.
The Continental TrueContact Tour treadlife warranty is for 6 Years / 80,000 Miles.
The Yokohama AVID Ascend LX treadlife warranty is for 5 Years / 85,000 Miles.
The GoodyearAssurance MaxLife treadlife warranty is for 6 Years / 85,000 Miles.

The Cooper Discoverer EnduraMax treadlife warranty is for Unlimited Time / 60,000 Miles.
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II treadlife warranty is for Unlimited Time / 65,000 Miles.
The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring treadlife warranty is for Unlimited Time / 70,000 Miles.
The Cooper Discoverer SRX treadlife warranty is for Unlimited Time / 75,000 Miles.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts