Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between the defender LTX M/S or a crossover tire like the Latitude Tour HP or Continental Cross Contact.

Anyone have feedback on these tires? Size would be the OEM 18in size for an EXL.

How is the noise with the Defender? The pilot already isn't the quietest car so I want to make sure I don't make it worse.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Trying to decide between the defender LTX M/S or a crossover tire like the Latitude Tour HP or Continental Cross Contact.
Anyone have feedback on these tires? Size would be the OEM 18in size for an EXL.
How is the noise with the Defender? The pilot already isn't the quietest car so I want to make sure I don't make it worse.
The Defender LTX M/S is relatively quiet, but you can do better.
The Latitude Tour would be better than the Latitude Tour HP, but both are old designs.
If you want a quiet Michelin tire, look at the Primacy Tour A/S:

If you prefer a Continental tire, look at the CrossContact LX25:
CrossContact LX25 - 245/60 R 18 105H | Continental

However, an even quieter tire might be the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II:
Scorpion™ Verde All Season Plus II - SUV and Crossover tire | Pirelli

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the Defender LTX M/S on a Tacoma (265/65/17) and they were very quiet. I didn't get 70k miles out of them but they were surprisingly quiet even at 3/32.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern with the CrossContact LX25 is that it is new, although it seems to be based off of an LX20 with decent reviews. When I bought the Latitude Tour it was the best rated SUV tire on tire rack, but based on very few miles. Once the reviews built up on miles driven it started dropping.

I replaced the Latitude Tours with the LTX M/X2s but only really drove that Pilot for 6 more months. I remember them as quiet, but with a more truck like ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put the Continental CrossContact LX20 on my Pilot, and they’ve been much better then the OE tires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a defender fan but the LX25, Primacy A/S and Scorpion are also great tires. Primacy A/S is probably the quietest but will also wear quicker than the others.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I put the Pirellis on the Pilot, they have been excellent. I am getting the Michelin Defender LTX put on the Traverse next weekend because I can get them for the same price. Slightly stiffer and louder tire but I had the older version and loved it. No regrets on the Pirellis though my wife has had confidence in the rain and snow going on two years now and really no tire noise to speak of.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to have the defender LTX M/S on my old 2006 Pilot and it's not any quieter than the stock. When it's time to replace the tires on my 2017 Pilot, I'm going to try Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Continental LX25s and they work great. Quiet and good in the rain/snow. I have had several minivan/SUV/sedan vehicles over the years and have had really good luck with the Continental TrueContact/CrossContact lines. Good all-around tires year round.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Personally I trust TireRack for info and reviews more than manufacturer's web sites. They seem to be more neutral and have less of a vested interest in selling you any particular brand or model; They do a lot of their own independent testing and rating of many tires; and the reviews are from a good range of real customers so you can potentially get a better feel for real-world performance and experience, more than from a hadfful of responses on one particular forum.

Here are the pages for some of the tires mentioned on this thread. Ovbiously some newer designs are not going to have a lot of (or any) reviews yet. In this case TireRack often provides predictions based on their experience:

You can search TireRack for other/similar tires of interest.

In terms of recommendations, I think it really depends on your driving environment. I don't think you noted that? Ovbiously someone driving year-round in Florida is going to want/need something completely different than driving in mid-Canada.

For best all-season performance, there's a relatively new design of "Grand Touring All-Season" tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol, which are way better than the old "M+S" all-seasons. These are supposed to have great summer performance and 100+km treadwear ratings, but have around 90% the performance of dedicated winter tires on snow and ice. The testing at TireRack seems to prove this for the Michelin and Goodyear offerings. Here's some info on the 3PMSF. In areas where dedicated winter tires are mandated, these qualify, but won't wear out in summer in 25000 km like a winter tire would if you left it on yearround:

When comes time to replace my stock Contis, I'm going with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady:

They score pretty much 9+/10 across the board in all categories and are highly rated by real-world users.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have had Continental CrossContact LX25 on our '17 EX-L for the past 4 months up here in the northeast and they're great. Granted, I may be a bit biased as the CrossContact is what I used for our old Odyssey and the old Ridgeline. They're great tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Defender is the cheapest of Michelin’s but still very good in my opinion.
Have put close to 7000 miles on them; not as Primacy I had before but for the price, longevity, performance it is very close.
Plus, you can get them in Costco with free rotation and balancing for life of the tires. Simply can’t be beat.

Never had Contis on Pilot but had them on Altima and Accord. Disaster tires in my opinion: louder and always tended to pickup nails. Maybe it is just my luck but with Michelin’s I, literally, never had an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Consumer Reports gives good unbiased ratings. The Michelin LTX’s are top of the list. Continental’s did well too. Surprise appearance at the top were General Ultimax.

I am on second set of Michelin’s. Great wear! Reasonably quiet, handle varied weather well, MUCH better than the stock Goodyear Forteras!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been a Michelin fan since about 1975. I had Latitude Tours on my Pilot. Absolutely the best tire I've ever had thru any kind of weather - rain, snow, ice. And got a mileage boost. When it came time to replace (they were 10 yrs old! - lots of tread left, but not driving as much due to medical challenges) I put on Defender LTX because they stopped making the Latitude in that size. Quiet tire, ride is great. BUT, I really took a mileage hit.
I thought it was a fluke, and when I downsized my Passport to 18", I went with the Defender LTX. Same results. Quiet, very comfortable ride, but again, took a mileage hit. They had the Latitude in the 18" size and I wished I had gone with that. But was a little skeptical because of some poor Latitude reviews. Thought maybe they were made slightly different now than 10-12 years ago.
Not sure what the answer is. I have always monitored air in my tires very close. And with all Michelin models have found an increase in recommended pressure of about 7 - 10% give a more even wear and still a good ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S for my 2007 Pilot. I have had Latitude Tours on since 2012. I have been disappointed in the Mileage, but ride and noise level have been OK. Are the Defenders similar to the Latitude Tours for noise. As I live in Wisconsin, I'm looking for a tire that works in the snow as well. My son has recommended that I consider Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S because of the snow, perhaps in a 235/75/16. Anyone have experience with the Cooper Discoverer? I know that it will be noisier than the Defender.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I too am considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S for my 2007 Pilot. I have had Latitude Tours on since 2012. I have been disappointed in the Mileage, but ride and noise level have been OK. As I live in Wisconsin, I'm looking for a tire that works in the snow as well. My son has recommended that I consider Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S because of the snow, perhaps in a 235/75/16.
If you don't need an A/T type tire and want good winter performance from a tire that can be used year-round, look at either the Nokian WR G3 SUV or Nokian WR G4 SUV.
235/70R16 all-weather tires / Nokian Tires

1 - 20 of 20 Posts