Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with my Pilot I have a 1995 Accord with tire size 185-70-14. I'd like to go to a 15" wheel and the tirerack recommends a 195-60-15 tire size (3% larger overall diameter). I already have some almost new tires in a 205-60-15 in my garage (4% larger than stock in overall diameter) that I would like to use. Would I run into any problems with the large size tires? I assume my odometer will also be off by 3-4% low.\

Anybody experienced in tire/wheel upgrades?

Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Tire Sizing

The rim and tire package that tirerack recommends would work and should not cause your speedometer to be off. If you want to use the tires in your garage, go ahead an buy the rims you want. Then have the larger tires mounted and test drive your Accord trying full left and right turns. This will make sure you have clearance under the fender wells so the tires will not rub. The larger 205-60-15's would, as you have already stated would make your speedometer off by about 5-7 MPH. I have a formula some where, that will give you a more accurate speed, if I can find it. I will post the formula later if i find it. Regards Rockman

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Tire Sizing

rockman19762001 said:
The rim and tire package that tirerack recommends would work and should not cause your speedometer to be off. If you want to use the tires in your garage, go ahead an buy the rims you want. Then have the larger tires mounted and test drive your Pilot trying full left and right turns. This will make sure you have clearance under the fender wells so the tires will not rub. The larger 205-60-15's would, as you have already stated would make your speedometer off by about 5-7 MPH. I have a formula some where, that will give you a more accurate speed, if I can find it. I will post the formula later if i find it. Regards Rockman
Good input! I'll add that it may be wise to make those full left and right turns while entering/exiting a driveway or similar slope that will test the clearance in a twist or body shift situation as well.

:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
tire sizing

I check the site mentioned in Jolly Roger post actually it is better than the formula I have. Also Colorider makes a very good point about twist and body flex test. Also bounce the car body up and down to make sure you have good vertical suspension trail. I forgot this in first post. I would do all of this and you should be pleased with going with the larger tires. Regards Rockman

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 94 Accord - the same car - with that set up with no problems !...go ahead and enjoy!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As always thanks for the great feedback from the site guys...

Rockman - Just curious as to where the 5-7 mph came from. According to my calculations the speed would only be 0.1-2.0% slow with the two new tire sizes resulting in a maximum of 1.2 mph slow at 60 mph. That means I would have to be going about 240 mph to get close to 5 mph speedometer error!

Not that I am looking to do this but what does it take to recalibrate your odometer if you decide to radically change your wheel diameter? Can any shop do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Yeah - Thanks for the very useful link Jolly Roger...

·
Registered
686 Posts
tire sizing

Wolfman-matt, I have the formula safely placed some were in my house. I was doing the calculation from memory. It seems now that my memory is not as good as I thought. Or my wild guess on circumference was way off or at this point, as my wife would say "who the hell knows what I was doing" she would probably not have said hell however. Have not found the formula so, I am not really sure how I came up will 5-7 mph; but it looked good when I did it on my calculator earlier today. The site Jolly Roger highlighted is way better any way then the formula or my memory. :4: :confused:

I changed tires on a 78 Toyota pickup years ago. I went from 195-14-70 to 255-14-70, and Toyota had a formula to show the speedometer difference. I no longer own the truck but I wrote the formula down. Which is still lost. With that truck the speedometer cable came off the transmission and up into the dash board speedometer display. I just told the Toyota clerk how far off the speedometer was and they sold me a new geared cable to change the speedometer out put. I have no idea how Honda does theirs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts