Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 7,600 miles, I just had my four tires rotated at a Goodyear Tire Shop ($20.00 + tax). They moved the front left to the rear left and visa versa. The front right went to the rear right and visa versa. This keeps the tires on the same side of the car.

I always thought that when you rotate tires, they should also go to the other side of the car.

Any thoughts on the "correct" way to rotate tires?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
The Owner's Manual shows a rotation pattern that crosses two tires, and moves two tires. I can never remember the pattern, as it's different for front vs. rear drive vehicles. My dealer, and the tire shops I deal with just swap front to back on the same side.

They say it's to keep from introducing a vibration, and that with today's tires, they really don't need to be rotated side to side. I think it's because the person rotating them can't remember the pattern, either. I decided to let them do their thing unless or until I get unusual tire wear, and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The treads on some tires, such as Goodyear's Aquatred, are directional (i.e., they have to rotate in one direction) and have to stay on the same side of the car.
Non-directional treads are crossed to prevent uneven rounding or cupping.

Here's the page in the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Doesn't your first 7,500 mile service (FREE) include a tire rotation? Mine did-
Maybe this was just a dealer thing?
My Goodyears were done just like yours by my dealer, Tom.
I only had 4200 mi on my Pilot though, but given the cheap quality tire that it is, I thought it couldn't hurt doing it early.

Just curious why you took it to Goodyear.
And YIKES, $20 to rotate tires is pretty spendy. Am I way off here? My dealership charges $12.95 for rotation (regular price)

·
Registered
423 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Doesn't your first 7,500 mile service (FREE) include a tire rotation? Mine did-
Maybe this was just a dealer thing?
My Goodyears were done just like yours by my dealer, Tom.
I only had 4200 mi on my Pilot though, but given the cheap quality tire that it is, I thought it couldn't hurt doing it early.

Just curious why you took it to Goodyear.
And YIKES, $20 to rotate tires is pretty spendy. Am I way off here? My dealership charges $12.95 for rotation (regular price)
I'm curious to know how you got the 7,500 service free? Mine certainly was not!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well PilotMom, I didn't get the 7500 mile free service benefit. All I got was my first oil change done for free. It sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your service . . . good job.

As far as the price goes, I checked with two tire shops and chose the cheapest one.

To compare, I just called the local Honda dealer, and they wanted $36! They said that this included a necessary rebalancing of the new front wheels. Has anyone heard of this requirement (ripoff)?

·
Registered
608 Posts
im pretty sure costco has FREE yes, FREE tire rotations no matter where you got the tire ;) . although, i havent tried them yet... balancing is optional but costs $4 (total or per tire? i forgot...:( ) if the tires weren't purchased at costco. another way to get your membership fee's worth of stuff :D .

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
COOL!

Tom said:
Well PilotMom, I didn't get the 7500 mile free service benefit. All I got was my first oil change done for free. It sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your service . . . good job.

As far as the price goes, I checked with two tire shops and chose the cheapest one.

To compare, I just called the local Honda dealer, and they wanted $36! They said that this included a necessary rebalancing of the new front wheels. Has anyone heard of this requirement (ripoff)?
Wow, I didn't have to work out that deal, it's just what the dealership does. I thought it was all Hondas. They also gave me a dent wizard coupon for a free repair if my Pilot was dinged within 90 days. Luckily that just went to waste :)

iivtecracerii- thanks for the costco info. I'll check them out for my next rotation and see if they carry Michelin X-terrains for my next set of tires while I'm there. (I bought my Pilot through Costco too, might as well)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Costco & X-Terrains

If they (Costco) doesn't carry them in the tire center, ask if they can special order them. I had them order some Pilots for my 2 door coupe, and had them installed when they arrived a week later.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

rtrypilot

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Costco & X-Terrains

rtrypilot said:
If they (Costco) doesn't carry them in the tire center, ask if they can special order them. I had them order some Pilots for my 2 door coupe, and had them installed when they arrived a week later.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

rtrypilot
Costco does carry Cross Terrains, but they may have to order the size to fit the Pilot. At least here in Northern Virginia, the mounted, balanced out the door price is $131.99 plus sales tax per tire. I was told that it would take 3-4 days for the local Costco to get them in. And there's a $50 mail in rebate through July 31.

Check out the tire section at http://www.costco.com

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
jfrano said:
Just to be 100% sure are Cross Terrains, directional?
From the literature I've read on the Cross Terrains, and from looking at sidewalls of actual tires, they are NOT a directional tire.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Walmart

I had my Tire rotation and balancing at Walmart for $30 and it's lifetime warranty (rotate tires every alternate oil change). Oil change for synthetic is $28. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Walmart

hondalover said:
I had my Tire rotation and balancing at Walmart for $30 and it's lifetime warranty (rotate tires every alternate oil change). Oil change for synthetic is $28. Is this a good deal?
Most Quik Lube places around D.C. will charge about $50 for an oil change with synthetic. I'd say it's a good deal, if they offer the brand of synthetic you want and the proper weight oil you need.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Spoke to TireRack, the CT are indeed non-directional and should therefore follow the crisscross pattern, which I did today. Utilizing the original spare which I keep in the garage, went quickly.

Joe

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quick note to those who use places like Costco and Walmart to get their tires balanced -

Not all of these places use a high speed balancer, and the result (especially with in-experienced hands) is a tire that is not properly balanced.

I once got my tires at Costco and received a great deal, but the tires were not balanced well ....

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Quick note to those who use places like Costco and Walmart to get their tires balanced -

Not all of these places use a high speed balancer, and the result (especially with in-experienced hands) is a tire that is not properly balanced.

I once got my tires at Costco and received a great deal, but the tires were not balanced well ....
There's an NTB in Manassas, VA that must have improperly calibrated balancers. Every time I'd get the tires balanced there, I'd have to get it done again. I've stopped using that particular store; the last non-dealer balance I had done, on the Highlander I used to own, was done at the NTB in McLean, VA. That location seems to be better managed, with properly calibrated balancers.

And speaking of inexperienced hands, I once got the tires on a '96 Blazer rotated and re-balanced at that NTB in Manassas. Unbeknownest to me, the guy used the wrong type of weight. When I returned the next evening after work to get the job redone, only one wheel still had a weight on it.

It was obvious that morning I had a problem; once I reached highway speed during my morning commute, ping ping ping ping. The weights started flying off, hitting the vehicle under-body and scaring the bejeebers out of me.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What if I procrastinate?

When I got my last oil change at about 6100 miles the service guy asked me if I wanted a tire rotation. I thought he was just trying to bump up his profit and said no. I have since learned that the manual schedule requires it at 7,500 miles. I won't get my next oil change until well after that.

What are the warranty and practical ramifications of waiting until my next oil change to have the tires rotated?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: What if I procrastinate?

florida_guy said:
When I got my last oil change at about 6100 miles the service guy asked me if I wanted a tire rotation. I thought he was just trying to bump up his profit and said no. I have since learned that the manual schedule requires it at 7,500 miles. I won't get my next oil change until well after that.

What are the warranty and practical ramifications of waiting until my next oil change to have the tires rotated?
Find an NTB, take it there, pay $40 for a rotate and balance, then take it back every 7500 miles and get a free rotate and balance.

The impact on warranty for not rotating the tires is none - the tires are warranted separately by the manufacturer. Regular rotation will extend the tread life.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: What if I procrastinate?

jay said:
Find an NTB, take it there, pay $40 for a rotate and balance, then take it back every 7500 miles and get a free rotate and balance.

The impact on warranty for not rotating the tires is none - the tires are warranted separately by the manufacturer. Regular rotation will extend the tread life.
NTB??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts