Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

TIRE REPLACEMENT

428 19
I have 154,000mi on my EX. All 4 tires are Yoko YK-HTX. 245/70/16. In past not all 4 were replaced at same time. The rears are in great shape, however, the fronts are needing to be changed, esp as winter is here in Idaho. I want to get new fronts ( under 4/32 left, tread indicator smooth), enough to kinda wear out w the rears (just under 8/32 left), so next time I can get a complete set of 4.

Any recommendations for an All Season same size tire/tread pattern that's not too expensive?

Thx, Rob
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,076 Posts
I was happy with the Yokohama Geolandars AT on my former 2005 Pilot. They handled wet roads very well. Not sure about the snow, but you could probably check Tirerack reviews for that. They were at least $200 less per set of four compared to the Michelins they replaced.

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,499 Posts
I’d choose a highway all season tire (non touring). The only decent choice in this category is Michelin Defender LTX if you want to stay with a size wider. There are several choices, less expensive tires in the specd size of 235/70R16.
What are your specific tire needs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Define your definition of “expensive” in cost per tire, what is the price point you are looking for?

Post COVID, all tires have gone up in price.
Thinking more in $120-140 range. I know I can get the Geolanders for $162+ which will have similar tread. May consider biting the bullet for set of 4 of something.
If you have the funds get Michelin Cross Climate. They have gotten very good reviews as one of the best all around tires. Good in most conditions.
Yeah, Michelins generally considered best in class & you pay for that. Not sure how long I'll keep the car after I win lottery, tho. 😂
I’d choose a highway all season tire (non touring). The only decent choice in this category is Michelin Defender LTX if you want to stay with a size wider. There are several choices, less expensive tires in the specd size of 235/70R16.
Thx. My current set is 245/70/16. Just want to replace the fronts & eventually get back on track with a set of 4 later on. So lotsa brands don't have that size, but Geolander does as well as some off brands which my local dealer chain, Les Schwab, does carry. I'll have to go in & make sure the tread designs are compatible w the Yokos I have.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Lots of complaints on those YK-HTX tires from Discount (probably old?, date code). Mostly because they were hard to balance, needing a lot of weights to do so. I’d still try to get four new tires for safety reasons. Is snow an issue for you where you live?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Getting a set of Yokohama Geolandar CV G058 installed on our 05 on Friday (and replacing the TPMS sensors) - I use tirerack for comparison reviews. Everything is more expensive post-covid. I think I am paying $163 a tire... not happy about it, but what are you going to do. Tires are not a good place to skimp, imho.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Getting a set of Yokohama Geolandar CV G058 installed on our 05 on Friday (and replacing the TPMS sensors) - I use tirerack for comparison reviews. Everything is more expensive post-covid. I think I am paying $163 a tire... not happy about it, but what are you going to do. Tires are not a good place to skimp, imho.
That’s not a bad choice at all. For some sturdiness, I’d likely choose the HT G056.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
+1 on that.
Also, I don't think I've ever known anyone to buy 2 tires now and "replace the others later".
I’ve known some to do this, simply no choice for some who are struggling to make ends meet. We’ve had some who never rotate their tires arguing that it isn’t worth the cost of labor to do so, (yes, Discount Tire rotates for free) and putting on 2 fronts is their way of doing things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 154,000mi on my EX. All 4 tires are Yoko YK-HTX. 245/70/16. In past not all 4 were replaced at same time. The rears are in great shape, however, the fronts are needing to be changed, esp as winter is here in Idaho. I want to get new fronts ( under 4/32 left, tread indicator smooth), enough to kinda wear out w the rears (just under 8/32 left), so next time I can get a complete set of 4.

Any recommendations for an All Season same size tire/tread pattern that's not too expensive?

Thx, Rob
Thx all for your input. I ended up getting 2 new "house brand" tires from Les Schwab, base price $137 +. Tread design close to Yokos & ride is very smooth. Snow typically is not a problem in Boise as it usually melts off within 1-2 days & is not very deep. It does get pretty cold (in low teens at nite at times during heart of winter). I'm retired so I can pick n choose my times/places to drive.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
165 Posts
I dislike the 16" wheels on the pilot. They look nice, but the 17" on the MDX give you more tire choices. The prices are actually much more favorable. I am going to purchase some wheels and just hold on to them until i'm ready to replace my wheels.

I currently have a 235/70/16 Hankok Dynapro HT tires. that I purchased after trying Toyo Open Country HT tires and Khumo HP71. I liked the Khumos but they were too noisy. Same with the Toyos.

The toyos were good looking tires, but they gave vague steering feedback and were loud above 50 mph.

The Khumos had good excellent steering repsonse as they were H-rated tires but were also noisy over rough road surfaces (not bumpy, just that rough aggregate)

The Hankook tires are the best comporomise tire I found for this car.

When I switch to 17" wheels, there will be far more choices in terms of tread and speed ratings.

The best tires I had put on my previous car, a 2005 MDX were the Arizonians from Discount. They had great pricing and provided excellent ride and handling characteristics as they are H-rated tires. Unfortunately, they have become expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That’s not a bad choice at all. For some sturdiness, I’d likely choose the HT G056.
I looked at those, but what sold me on these was the temperature rating (A vs. B for the HT) and the rain performance from the review on tire rack. We don't get much snow here in NM, but it gets really hot and we do get rain on occasion. On our 05 Odyssey, we had a number of different tires wear out quickly (well, 30k-ish miles on 60-80k treadwear warranty) and all had a B temperature rating (we had the original Michelin Energy LX4 (2 sets), Goodyear assurance comfortread, Yokohama Avid TRZ, and Michelin defenders, and always the same 24-30k miles before being down to the wear bars on all 4! (uniform wear, alignment was fine, just wore out quickly) - though to be fair, we have General Altimax RT43 tires on our 16 Odyssey - they have pushing 40k miles on them now and still have around 50% tread on them, and they are a B temperature rating, so who knows...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I looked at those, but what sold me on these was the temperature rating (A vs. B for the HT) and the rain performance from the review on tire rack. We don't get much snow here in NM, but it gets really hot and we do get rain on occasion. On our 05 Odyssey, we had a number of different tires wear out quickly (well, 30k-ish miles on 60-80k treadwear warranty) and all had a B temperature rating (we had the original Michelin Energy LX4 (2 sets), Goodyear assurance comfortread, Yokohama Avid TRZ, and Michelin defenders, and always the same 24-30k miles before being down to the wear bars on all 4! (uniform wear, alignment was fine, just wore out quickly) - though to be fair, we have General Altimax RT43 tires on our 16 Odyssey - they have pushing 40k miles on them now and still have around 50% tread on them, and they are a B temperature rating, so who knows...
How would you rate the Generals on ride comfort and noise? How about steering response?

·
Registered
49 Posts
How would you rate the Generals on ride comfort and noise? How about steering response?
Well - the van is more my wife's daily - I rarely drive it, but on the occasions I have, it seems to handle fine (it's still a minivan...) - for road noise, they are quieter than what we had on there before (I forget - they were some off-brand tires from when we bought it at Carmax a number of years back). I had Yokohama Geolandar CV 0058's installed this morning on the pilot and will say they are markedly quieter than the old Michelin LTX tires they replaced - also handle much better and give a smoother ride. (the Michelins were old and about at the wear bars, though) - the General Altimax tires are not available in the right size for the Pilot, though (235/70-16).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well - the van is more my wife's daily - I rarely drive it, but on the occasions I have, it seems to handle fine (it's still a minivan...) - for road noise, they are quieter than what we had on there before (I forget - they were some off-brand tires from when we bought it at Carmax a number of years back). I had Yokohama Geolandar CV 0058's installed this morning on the pilot and will say they are markedly quieter than the old Michelin LTX tires they replaced - also handle much better and give a smoother ride. (the Michelins were old and about at the wear bars, though) - the General Altimax tires are not available in the right size for the Pilot, though (235/70-16).
I have found Michelin tires to be overpriced and overrated. I had put a set of defenders on my former car, a Lexus ES300. Compared with my Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires, they were noisy, rode lousy and had harsh handling characteristics as well. I told Discount Tire to take those tires off and put on a set of Pirellis. They presumably outlasted the car. The car developed a valve tick which I deemed unacceptable. Got a 2012 Acura TL to replace it.

Funny thing is, I enjoy driving the Pilot even more despite the tire issue. The Hankook Dynapro HT tires are a decent comprimise of price and quality. Thank Goodness I bought them before tire prices started going out of control. I think I paid less than $550 for all 4 mounting and balance included.

I was looking at Geolanders, but I think they were selling for about $170 apiece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts