Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tire Replacement Recommendations

1976 Views 60 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  mindpiloteer
Hello,

I have a 2018 Pilot with 245/60R18's that are due for a tire replacement for all 4 tires. Does anyone have any recommendations for good all around tire for everyday driving? I look forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,

Pat
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 Ridgeline RTL, '05 MDX Touring
491 Posts
That same model Continental is still in production and according to some comes on the Touring and Elite Pilots in 20”. Some give it good reviews for snow, maybe they updated the tread compound since mine which was back in probably ’08.
It could be that the specific model and size you bought for your Sequioa happens to be an OE tire on something else out in the market somewhere...and the performance of that tire could differ by a lot from the performance of the Pilot's OE tire...which could also differ by a lot from the performance of one size in that model line that's not an OE tire. I'm not saying that was the reason in your case, but just saying that it could be.

For example, I don't know which Continental model you bought in the past, but the CrossContact LX Sport, as an example, is a very common OE tire in Conti's portfolio. Most sizes are likely to be an OE contract tire for somebody. Conversely, a tire with a similar name, the CrossContact LX25, is a retail market tire and I don't think that tire has any OE fitments...meaning it performs like Continental would have it to perform, and not as an OE would have it to perform.

This is definitely one thing to consider when shopping. There are sometimes multiple part numbers, even in a single size. My mother-in-law has a 2019 Acura RDX with OE Conti CrossContact LX Sport in 235/55R19. There are no fewer than 10 different part numbers of that exact same model and size...one is OE for Acura/Honda, one for Alfa Romeo, two for Audi, one for Hyundai, one for Land Rover, one for Maserati, two for Mercedes (including an extended mobility one), and one for Volvo. Even if she went into a tire store and said she wanted the "same tire" put back on, she could get very different performance from a replacement set if it wasn't the exact part number used by Acura and Honda.

· Registered
309 Posts
I have had good luck in the snow with Defenders. Not anywhere near the performance of a good true winter tire, but very good. If you spend no time off the pavement, the CrossClimate2 may be slighlty better in snow - I have not run them. The Defenders are somewhat tough and can handle a bit of off-road.

I have a 2023 Trailsport on order and I'm leaning toward the Nokian Outpost AT because I will be on some bad forest roads/fire roads/2-tracks. The stock trailsport Terraincontact tires are very good, but poor in snow. I don't want to switch out tires twice a year.

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,291 Posts
For example, I don't know which Continental model you bought in the past, but the CrossContact LX Sport, as an example, is a very common OE tire in Conti's portfolio. Most sizes are likely to be an OE contract tire for somebody. Conversely, a tire with a similar name, the CrossContact LX25, is a retail market tire and I don't think that tire has any OE fitments...meaning it performs like Continental would have it to perform, and not as an OE would have it to perform.
It was the CrossContact LX Sport but with a lot less miles and reviews as compared to now. Consensus seems to be about the same.

My experiences on a couple different vehicles and tires is if it is an all season and says "sport" or some version like that to avoid it if you need the winter grip. The factory Dueler Sport A/S are even further down on the ratings. Summer and wet handling maybe but I'm not NG and pushing hard through ramps in this vehicle. I want the safety, noise, comfort. As they say YMMV.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

· Registered
2020 honda pilot exl with nav and res ,michelin ltx m/s
134 Posts
Stay far away from bridgestone duelers they are by far the worst tires I've ever got with all 3 of my hondas.there very scary in snow and after 1/4 tread down they hydroplaned everywhere.and all 3 pairs I got 20k out of a set of tires

· Registered
1,291 Posts
I sold mine to another member who needed tires for a good discount. Crazy that even my wife commented that her winter tires were quieter all around than the Bridgestones. Very noticeable on initial swap and back. I then upgraded to the larger 265-60-18 Defenders and wife was much happier with ride/noise/handling for her.

Happy wife = less miserable life.

· Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 Ridgeline RTL, '05 MDX Touring
491 Posts
Our 2009 Ridgeline has the Defender LTX M/S in 245/60R18, and those tires really do well on snowy surfaces. Big snows are infrequent enough around here (northern Shenandoah Valley in VA) to be a novelty, and about the only time I drive in snow is when there's a lot of it, just for fun (we work from home, and generally plan around the nuisance 3-6" snow). We've had a few 12"+ plus storms since we moved here and we've taken that Ridgeline on several joy rides on snowpacked rural roads, where you can really get a feel for how stable a tire's going to be. Off camber, narrow roads will do that...plus rolling hills, etc. That truck had NO problem coming to a stop down hills and getting started from a stop up hills.

I liked the Defender LTX M/S so much on the Ridgeline that I put it on our 2005 MDX when it needed tires. Now, the Defender in both sizes common on the Pilot (245/60R18 and the upsize 255/50R20) starts with 10.5/32" of tread, but it starts with 12/32" of tread in our MDX's size (235/65R17). Those tires feel REALLY sturdy on every road surface I've tried them. But not in a way that ruins ride quality. They're comfortable and quiet, but they do have an intangible "strong and sure-footed" feeling to them as well. I think they're a terrific tire for the balanced driving that many people do (on road, occasional gravel, light snow, rain, etc.). They're not race car tires, they're not sticky high performance tires, and they're not deep mud and snow tires...they're just really nice all-around tires that will get you home no matter where you've been. And will probably last a true 60-80k miles doing it.

Our Ridgeline's tires are on track to give us at least 80k miles. At least. I'm sure a gentle driver could get 90-100k at the rate they're wearing, but now being driven primarily by our 17 year old daughter...probably more like 80k. ;)

· Registered
5,821 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
Continental CrossContact LX25
Firestone Destination LE3
I've had all of these (or their Costco version) but the Continental and can confirm they have all been excellent for me.

I'm not a brand loyalist, I put a lot of stock in the ratings I see on various websites coupled with the miles driven. Proven tires with a lot of miles are worth more to me than the name.

I also prefer the "highway all season" tires to the "grand touring all seasons/SUV" tires, I think they are a little stiffer and I like that. I also prefer to get the XL load rating if it is available. Again, I prefer a stiffer sidewall similar to @Nail Grease though I don't push mine quite as hard as his.

Reactions: Nail Grease

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Somewhere around '98 with my Ford Exploder and the Firestone recall, Consumer Reports had the LTX M/S as #2 pick with only downfall being the high price. #1 was Dunlop Radial Rover at a much cheaper price. I had to get lifetime balancing on the rovers and go back almost monthly as they would lose balance.

Finally gave up, bought the LTX M/S, vehicle was SO much better and never needed to rebalanced until I sold it years later.

The price still gets many people BUT they also last for many almost 2x as long. Pay now, Pay later.

· Registered
134 Posts
Somewhere around '98 with my Ford Exploder and the Firestone recall, Consumer Reports had the LTX M/S as #2 pick with only downfall being the high price. #1 was Dunlop Radial Rover at a much cheaper price. I had to get lifetime balancing on the rovers and go back almost monthly as they would lose balance.

Finally gave up, bought the LTX M/S, vehicle was SO much better and never needed to rebalanced until I sold it years later.

The price still gets many people BUT they also last for many almost 2x as long. Pay now, Pay later.
Ide spend 800 to 900 for a set of 4 generals grabbers or altimax .then change them again at 30 to 40k .when I spend an extra 300 to get a better tire thar can last 70k

· Registered
5,821 Posts
Ide spend 800 to 900 for a set of 4 generals grabbers or altimax .then change them again at 30 to 40k .when I spend an extra 300 to get a better tire thar can last 70k
Nothing wrong with that if you like the tire and it performs well for you. I feel like a lot of the General tires have been getting good reviews recently.

Reactions: Troy812

· Registered
134 Posts
Nothing wrong with that if you like the tire and it performs well for you. I feel like a lot of the General tires have been getting good reviews recently.
I love generals too got 30 to 40 k in rain and snow .but these michelin out perform them.ive had both grabbers and altimax .but after 1800 bucks on 2 sets of tires it was a no Brainer 1100 to 1200 for a 70k tire

· Registered
2019 Pilot Touring FWD
1 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2018 Pilot with 245/60R18's that are due for a tire replacement for all 4 tires. Does anyone have any recommendations for good all around tire for everyday driving? I look forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,

Pat
I have really enjoyed my Goodyear Assurance MaxLife from Discount Tire. Great ride, and you can't beat the treadlife rating. I was a little reluctant switching to Goodyear, but it was a great choice.

· Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone tried the MICHELIN DEFENDER 2 ? What is the difference between the Defender LXT M/S and the Defender 2 Tires ? Looks like the LXT's are being discontinued.
Thank Jack

· Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,

Pat
Another vote for Defenders. Mine lasted 60k and their snow performance held up throughout. Lots of trips between WY (where you NEED a dedicated snow tire) and CA, through the Tahoe area, and those tires just handle everything (summer highway spring rains, blowing snow) beautifully. In WY snow the new ones I just put on are almost as good as Blizzaks. Best single all-around tire experience I’ve ever had on any car.

· Registered
26 Posts
On my last two Pilots I've installed Michelin tires (not sure of the specific type), mostly because they significantly reduced road noise. Pretty happy with those tires although they were slightly more expensive than other brands available to me.

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Has anyone tried the MICHELIN DEFENDER 2 ? What is the difference between the Defender LXT M/S and the Defender 2 Tires ? Looks like the LXT's are being discontinued.
Thank Jack
The Defender 2 from what I read on multiple sites iirc is basically replacing the Defender T&H. It's a more passenger car smaller SUV all season but does come in XL ratings. TR testing also had it struggling in the wet as compared to others.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts