Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tire Replacement Recommendations

1320 44
Hello,

I have a 2018 Pilot with 245/60R18's that are due for a tire replacement for all 4 tires. Does anyone have any recommendations for good all around tire for everyday driving? I look forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,

Pat
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,278 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2018 Pilot with 245/60R18's that are due for a tire replacement for all 4 tires. Does anyone have any recommendations for good all around tire for everyday driving? I look forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,

Pat
Update your profile so it shows location. Do you encounter snow/ice? Do you run dedicated winter tires? AWD or FWD? What did you like or not like about the ones you had and were they the original Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS? Do you do any light off road (beach/gravel/logging roads etc)? Price Range? What is most important aspect (Price, mileage warranty, noise, wet grip, dry grip, snow traction, asymmetric or directional, off road look and or capability)

TireRack has a lot of great information, tests, videos, reviews and a tire decision guide. Read the reviews with also looking at their location (Florida/snow??)

All around for me Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Family/friends on other SUV's Michelin CrossClimate2, Continental CrossContact LX 25, Conti TerrainContact AT, Nokian WRG4, Falken Wildpeak Trail and AT3W, and many others.

I run the Michelin Defender LTX M/S for spring/summer/fall which includes light towing, beach, hunting cabin trail etc. I run dedicated winter on all my vehicles as they are just that much better for snow/ice and worth it to me for my families safety.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,940 Posts
Here in Texas (no snow), I enjoy the handling of High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02 (now P03). We do a lot of 75 mph highways and this tire doesn’t quit in high speed turns, just stay on the gas.😀

· Registered
2018 Pilot EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. We live on Long Island, NY so we do get snow. The car currently has the original Bridgestone Fullers with 51k miles on them. It's my wife's daily driver to and from work along with moving the kids. I'm just looking for an all around good tire.

Thanks,

Pat

· Registered
1,278 Posts
We live on Long Island, NY so we do get snow.
Sadly not this year so far, maybe some light flurries and some ice (at least in Centereach) ;) . If you are at 50k on the original they must be shot and past needing to be replaced

Where do you plan to go to get the tires? Costco pretty much just Michelin and Bridgestone choices. BJ's has them and other choices available (to order) and Sam's Club seems to have most choices between ordering and stock. They all normally include Road Hazard and rotations if you buy them there. Local independent will get what you want but might also steer you to what they might have in stock or get better deals on plus extra for road hazard. Don't forget to get an alignment when you get the new tires. I'm not a huge Goodyear or Bridgestone fan from my experiences others may feel different. My choices as listed are my preference in order by type. Your budget and availability may vary but I would say any of them would serve you well. I have mail ordered from both TR and DTD and had installed at local independent shop as well as buying/install at Costco/Sam's/BJ's.

TireRack 245-60-18 and Discount Tire Direct 245-60-18

My choices for All season.
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
Continental CrossContact LX25
Firestone Destination LE3

My choices for All Weather (cross between all season and true winter) 3PMSF rated for better winter grip.
Michelin CrossClimate2
Nokian WRG4
Toyo Celsius CUV
General Altimax 365 AW
Goodyear WeatherReady
Bridgestone WeatherPeak

My choices for more offroad grip - with good road manners/noise
Falken WildPeak AT Trail
Nokian Outpost APT
Continental TerrainContact AT - many rate excellent wet/dry but NOT great snow/ice.

My fleet and the ones I did for family.
Wife's Pilot - Defender LTX M/S (daily drive, trips, light towing, Smith's point and other beaches, hunting cabin trails), Continental WinterContact Si for winter
Sister- Rav4 Hybrid - CrossClimate2 - runs all year
Sister-in-law - Traverse - Scorpion AS Plus 3 - runs all year
Brother-in-law - Tiguan - Toyo Celsius CUV - 3 season and sometimes 1-2 snows - Michelin X-ice snow if he feels like swapping - mounted on spare rims already if a lot of snow forecasted.
Father-in-law - Jeep Renegade - Wildpeak AT Trail -runs all year
Daughter - CRV - Pirelli Scorpion AS+2 for 3 season - previous version of AS 3. Continental VikingContact 7 winter.
Son - Forte - Michelin Premier 3 season - came with the spare summer rims - will probably replace in spring. Continental VikingContact 7 winter.
3 cousins - CRV/Tahoe/MDX - Nokian WRG4 - in Massachusetts and upstate - run all year.

The Goodyear WeatherReady - the ones on my used Accord were the noisiest tires I ever had but many like them in bad weather. I wanted to try for winter but mine had quality issues and the replacement winter Goodyear WinterCommand have balance issues.

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
Here in Texas (no snow), I enjoy the handling of High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02 (now P03). We do a lot of 75 mph highways and this tire doesn’t quit in high speed turns, just stay on the gas.😀
Is the Sumitomo P03 available in 235/70R16. I can not find at any local retailers, that carried in that size.

· Registered
335 Posts
I put on Michelin CrossClimate2 on my 17 EXL last year and loving it. I am @ Queens NY. It handles great in rain and snow. my wife and I both are lead foot so MPG is not my concern at all (some people states these tire makes them lose few MPG).

· Registered
14,940 Posts
Shame I liked the description that they offered on that tire. Think I will go with Firestone. My Pilot is an 08, so I only expect roughly 2 more years out of it.
Have you looked at the Kumho Crugen HT51?

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Shame I liked the description that they offered on that tire. Think I will go with Firestone. My Pilot is an 08, so I only expect roughly 2 more years out of it.
According to the TireRack customer surveys, which NailGrease seems to trust, the top two recommended tires in the Highway All-Season category are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the Firestone Destination LE3.
In the Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season category, the top two recommended tires are the Continental CrossContact LX25 and the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058.

· Registered
14,940 Posts
According to the TireRack customer surveys, which NailGrease seems to trust, the top two recommended tires in the Highway All-Season category are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the Firestone Destination LE3.
In the Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season category, the top two recommended tires are the Continental CrossContact LX25 and the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058.
I’d never put another Yukko tire on any of my vehicles again.
@PHM is looking for a couple of years. Unless you’re looking for a higher speed rating, the Kumho Crugen HT51 is very well rated by consumers (snow service rating) and it’s a fair deal for the price conscious.

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
I’d never put another Yukko tire on any of my vehicles again.
@PHM is looking for a couple of years. Unless you’re looking for a higher speed rating, the Kumho Crugen HT51 is very well rated by consumers (snow service rating) and it’s a fair deal for the price conscious.
I run snows in the winter so I think the Firestone LE3. I will look into the Kumho. Hope I still get a discount from my old shop. I hate not getting them at cost now.

· Registered
2020 honda pilot exl with nav and res ,michelin ltx m/s
131 Posts
Michelin defenders ltx m/s.i had them installed on my 2020 pilot .best tires ever .the handling ,no road noise,great in pouring rain.great in the snow .I live towards Boston mass so we know snow.i would recommend these tires any day.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Has anyone ever put Cooper CS5's on their Pilot?
My 86yo Mom in Westchester has the CS5’s on her Camry but she doesn’t drive much. It was what the shop put on when my dad had it in for other stuff. We put Blizzaks on for the winter just in case because we have them. We have had spare rims/snows for years.

My neighbor put them on his Outback and was happy with them.

I researched them for my Accord as a value choice but the overall performance and noise reviews steered me away from them (Accord runs Pirelli P7 AS+2). The same scenario for my daughters CRV. I don’t care much about the snow performance reviews for MYSELF on the all seasons or all weathers since I run the winter tires. I do take it into account when recommending to others.

For the Pilot and the weight of it, I would also prefer an XL load rated version over the SL.

Hit up Tire Rack website and put your thoughts into the Tire decision guide. Then watch all the video review tests for each one and what they compare to each other. Your priorities might be different than ours. Some people value extremely long life over wet grip, some price over noise/performance. There is no perfect tire that covers everyone the same. They all have compromises.

I bought a set of new model Continentals for wife’s old Sequoia. They were getting good but limited reviews. Cash was short couldn’t get new snows yet, 5 month old all seasons, I figured we would try them how bad could they be? They were good dry and wet, quiet, TOTAL Safety hazard in winter, worn out almost bald in 25k. Wife went out in one of the first snows, drove around the block, came back and parked her Sequoia and took my Sonata. She said it would barely start in 4WD, wouldn’t stop, wouldn’t turn. I tried it afterward to see if she was exaggerating, she wasn’t. I busted out the credit card and got new snows and paid them off. Safety for my family.

That same model Continental is still in production and according to some comes on the Touring and Elite Pilots in 20”. Some give it good reviews for snow, maybe they updated the tread compound since mine which was back in probably ’08. I will never recommend that model from my experience especially if needed in winter. I’m definitely not opposed to Continental since I put their snows on 3 of my vehicles and was looking at 1-2 models for the Accord and my son’s Forte. They also own General (and Gislaved) who has models that I recommend and have had very good experiences with.

As for the Bridgestone’s that came on the Pilot. 3 day old Pilot, November ‘18, less than 50 miles on tires, still had the mold release from factory probably. 6”+ snow, wife almost wrecked 3 times coming home form work less than 2 miles away sliding down the hills. Crying saying get rid of the POS truck, I want my Sequoia back. We put new winter tires on it ASAP. Now she will prefer to drive it and refuses to ride in friends cars if it snows. Same vehicle, different tires. For me the spare rims and winter tires are an investment in safety that many won’t do. The cost of them is not much more than my insurance deductible and I get 4-5 seasons out of them.

The only thing touching the ground in all weather conditions and at 70+ mph is not the place I want to save a couple $$ for my family. I’ll skip Starbucks and pack my sandwich for lunch with no issues instead.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts