Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to put 4 new tires on my 2014 pilot. Interested in any recommendations folks here might have. The car is used as a family hauler so looking for a smooth ride (no off-roading).

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,151 Posts
Please check the previous similar questions using the search community feature.

Typically the first response runs along the line of where are you located do you get snow etc....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did look through other posts and got some info there.

Any votes for the options below are appreciated. Prices include 4 tires with installation.

Thanks!

Looking at:
Mich. Defender LTX ($749)
Mich. Premier LTX ($813)
Continental Crosscontact LX20 ($725)
BF Good Advantage TA Sport LT ($744) - highly rated but has a 'B' for traction.
Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus ($744)
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring AS ($460)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think you can't go wrong with the Defenders, the Continentals would be a 2nd choice but since they're only $25 cheaper I would stick with Michelin.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Except for the last 2 they all are pretty good. Stick with A traction if you can and choose the highest load and treadwear rating for fuel economy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And now I can't find where I saw the Defenders LTX for that price... I can only find the T+H ones which only carry the A/B rating.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Of the remaining ones would you still go with the Continentals over the Premier LTX?
Are you in the snowbelt? If so, do you switch to winter tires?
Do you ever drive off pavement?
How many miles do you typically cover per year? How much longer do you expect to keep this Pilot?
What's most important to you? Long treadlife? Low cost? Low noise? Smooth ride?
Any brands of tires you prefer and/or would not buy?

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you're using for snow get snow tires. Too many people think all season are for snow, they are not. The rubber compounds are different. I notice a huge difference when using snows. I have been using Hankook iPike with pretty good results. If you absolutely want all season then Michelin is always good and Geolanders aren't bad.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion's w/ XL load rating on ours... been great for just over a year, we will see how long they last.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can’t say enough about Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. Quiet, very smooth and great all weather performance, including snow. On my second set.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can’t say enough about Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. Quiet, very smooth and great all weather performance, including snow. On my second set.
No offroad intentions, while those are an excellent A/T tire I'd say they aren't appropriate for the OP's needs. A crossover all-season tire will be superior in noise, wet and dry on road traction, etc. A/T probably has the all-season beat in the snow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in MA so we get a fair amount of snow. I can’t afford buying 2 sets now, so this one needs to cover it. Probably average 14-16k per year. Smooth ride and traction at the top.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i just picked up a set of bridgestone blizzack DM-V2 XL's for my winter set ... the geolanders don't last went through two sets the current set right now will stay on until the snow drops

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need to put 4 new tires on my 2014 pilot. Interested in any recommendations folks here might have. The car is used as a family hauler so looking for a smooth ride (no off-roading).

Thanks!
I have a 2013 Touring AWD/RES/Navand I'm very happy with my Sumitomo Encounter HT (235/60R18) from Tire Rack. Enough so that I put the same tires on my daughter's 2009 CR-V a few months ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and we tend to get heavy snow / black ice during the winter season. With that said after my oem Michelins wore out at 55k, I purchased a set of Yokohama YK740 GTX and so far they are a good value, decently quiet, good handling in dry / wet roads. I have not had the chance to see how they perform in snow yet. I have taken the vehicle on highway trips and they perform well. You have to take into account these cost around $700 vs the oem Michelin that cost $1,000.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have never been a fan of Pirellis, but I’ve had Continentals, Yoko and Michelin’s on my 2012 and I’ve never been happy with the ride feel and sound. It always felt trucky—even though I had passenger tires.

But I got the Scorpions and was amazed at how smooth and quiet they are compared to the previous Yokos. I’ve had them about a year and love them. Road driving only for me since this is our “trip car.”

Can’t comment on treadwear yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks!
We put Firestone Destination LE2 tires on our mom-mobile Pilot and they’ve been great! My husband has the same on his Land Rover. More of a quiet and soft ride. We put a lot of miles on our Pilot and these have handled well in snow and rain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts