Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently almost at end of life of primacy MXMs - I was told that these were more suited for cars and not SUVs, not sure if that is true. Anyway, I would like to get tires that are more appropriate for the Pilot now.
Good traction in Wet conditions is important. Is Continental CrossContact LX25 a good tire?
Thanks much!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
One of the complaints on the Michelin Defender LTX is the rough ride.
New Tires rough ride
Do you need an 80k mile tire? There are lower priced 60k mile tires that may suit your needs better.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm currently almost at end of life of primacy MXMs - I was told that these were more suited for cars and not SUVs, not sure if that is true. Anyway, I would like to get tires that are more appropriate for the Pilot now.
Good traction in Wet conditions is important. Is Continental CrossContact LX25 a good tire?
Thanks much!
I just put a set of Michelin Premier LTXs on our 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD. My two top priorities were ride and both dry and wet performance.(We get a lot of rain in Florida). So far they have exceeded expectations and are noticeably better in both departments than the Primacy MXVs.that came off. Because of the reverse sipe design and compound formula, the Premier LTXs maintain their wet traction even as the tire wears. The softer compound is "stickier" in both dry and wet conditions, and also gives the tire a smoother, quieter ride. The sidewalls appear to prevent tread rollover on hs turns, at least on the 235/60R18 profile that fit my Pilot.

The downside ... isn't there always one? ... is the softer formulation may (will?) wear out faster than the firmer Defender depending on how you drive and in what climate and road surface conditions. The Premier's 60k warranty compared to the Defender's 75k warranty is a warning to expect faster wear. It's not an issue for me since I drive like an old lady and don't put enough miles on the vehicle to wear out tires before they need replacing due to sidewall dryrot. YMMV but what you live with everyday is the ride and performance. Buying new tires maybe a year or two earlier, only hurts for a little while.

What you should take away is that by design the Premiers are touted to have similarly good traction worn as new, wet and dry. Most of the highest rated wet performance designs degrade in traction as the tread wears. So while the Premiers wear faster, they keep you safe longer.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
I just put a set of Michelin Premier LTXs on our 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD.

The downside ... isn't there always one? ... is the softer formulation may (will?) wear out faster than the firmer Defender depending on how you drive and in what climate and road surface conditions. The Premier's 60k warranty compared to the Defender's 75k warranty is a warning to expect faster wear. It's not an issue for me since I drive like an old lady and don't put enough miles on the vehicle to wear out tires before they need replacing due to sidewall dryrot.
Consumer Reports testing showed a treadlife of only 40K for the set of Premier LTX tires they tested - versus 85K for the Defender LTX M/S.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So many choices, each with some tradeoff...
Thanks again for the help.
I’ll likely go with Defender LTX as they seem to have decent wet traction and good tread life. Some reviews say they are noisy, others say not so. I will report back what I experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update after installing the Defender LTX tires:
Very happy with the way the Pilot is handling now in Wet conditions. The MxM4s I had before were very sketchy even when they were new.
Noise levels are very acceptable and not obviously different from the previous tires.
Highway driving is buttery smooth.
In short, the Pilot drives like a new car even after all these years!

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Quick update after installing the Defender LTX tires:
Very happy with the way the Pilot is handling now in Wet conditions. The MxM4s I had before were very sketchy even when they were new.
Noise levels are very acceptable and not obviously different from the previous tires.
Highway driving is buttery smooth.
In short, the Pilot drives like a new car even after all these years!
Bib is pleased with your decision.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Defender LTX was riding quite harsh unfortunately after I drove some more. Fortunately, the tire shop was kind enough to allow me to pick another set. I went with Defender T + H.
It has a nicer and more comfortable ride and seems to be doing quite well in Wet conditions. I know tire rack says it is not the best for Wet, but it seems to be fine based on what I'm seeing so far.
Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Defender LTX was riding quite harsh unfortunately after I drove some more. Fortunately, the tire shop was kind enough to allow me to pick another set. I went with Defender T + H.
It has a nicer and more comfortable ride and seems to be doing quite well in Wet conditions. I know tire rack says it is not the best for Wet, but it seems to be fine based on what I'm seeing so far.
Thanks
They are without question better than the MXVs that came stock on ours. A 2wd pilot is a challenge ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts