Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the Continental CrossContact LX25 on my Pilot when the OEM tires get old. How was your experience with the OEM tires?
I have that on my 17 Touring now. Very quiet on the road and on bumps imo. It's also has a wider footprint than the OE. Very good with wet or dry pavement. Got a good discount during black Friday and an additional military discount at discount tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have that on my 17 Touring now. Very quiet on the road and on bumps imo. It's also has a wider footprint than the OE. Very good with wet or dry pavement. Got a good discount during black Friday and an additional military discount at discount tires.
How much did you pay for the tires if you don’t mind me asking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the Pilot I never expect anything to be cheap =), though I'm always one to look at it all and figure out the best options. Curious between the Continental crosscontact lx sport and the Yokohama Geolandar's . . . . any preference and reasons why? Both are comparable with price it seems. Just called the Lexus dealership and could get the Yokohama's put on (with alignment) for $1030. Honda dealership for the Continental's would be 1155. Seriously appreciate all the info!

What did you get?

I have the Yokohoma's on my grand Cherokee and wanted to punch myself in the face the first month I made the switch.

Granted for that vehicle they were $85 installed compared to $125 for the Firestone destination LE2.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
6,131 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm still waiting for somone to put on a set of the 245 50/r20 High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02 's and tell us about how they handle for high speed conditions. 102V rated!
[/URL][/URL]

I'm going to buy a set just to complain about them even if they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Then ill complain so much you'll be forced to spend a weekend with me installing the ATF cooler, lift kit and 35 inch tires while drinking beer and chasing undesirables.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Deal?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm going to buy a set just to complain about them even if they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Then ill complain so much you'll be forced to spend a weekend with me installing the ATF cooler, lift kit and 35 inch tires while drinking beer and chasing undesirables.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Deal?
It says at the bottom of the box on Tirerack.com ...,
👍Consumer Recomended
You don't have to only take my word for it.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
17 Posts
I just got my Pilot (2018) last month. Although it came with perfectly adequate tires, I wanted to change to XL rated (for towing at near the 5k rating limit) and to be sure I was at the recommended rating.

I bought a set of General Altimax 245/50 R20, including a 5th for a matched full-size spare, and immediately went on a 2100 mi trip towing a > 4000# trailer - almost all highway, with some choppy / construction and forest service roads thrown in occasonally.

Overall very happy with them - no issue with noise or vibration, but the feel is definitely firmer with the Honda OEM 20 inch alloys. I think it's a really good touring tire.

I'll try to remember to post an update after trying them in snow & mountain passes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just got my Pilot (2018) last month. Although it came with perfectly adequate tires, I wanted to change to XL rated (for towing at near the 5k rating limit) and to be sure I was at the recommended rating.

I bought a set of General Altimax 245/50 R20, including a 5th for a matched full-size spare, and immediately went on a 2100 mi trip towing a > 4000# trailer - almost all highway, with some choppy / construction and forest service roads thrown in occasonally.

Overall very happy with them - no issue with noise or vibration, but the feel is definitely firmer with the Honda OEM 20 inch alloys. I think it's a really good touring tire.

I'll try to remember to post an update after trying them in snow & mountain passes.
Does the spare tire stick out from the bottom? I’m thinking about getting a full size but I’m worried it might stick out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I bought a set of General Altimax 245/50 R20, including a 5th for a matched full-size spare, and immediately went on a 2100 mi trip towing a > 4000# trailer - almost all highway, with some choppy / construction and forest service roads thrown in occasonally
Is there a plan to rotate all 5 tires on the Pilot? The 5th matched full-size spare is a good idea but tends to become an unused and aged tire after 5-7 years. Putting the 5th matched full-size spare tire into the tire rotation could increase the overall tire tread life by 25%. In the jeep forums there is usually a debate on potential drive train damage from running one matched full-size spare with the other three worn tires.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Does the spare tire stick out from the bottom? I’m thinking about getting a full size but I’m worried it might stick out.
Good question as that could be an issue for ground clearance. Perhaps selecting a taller aspect ratio full-size spare tire that matches the overall diameter of the main tires.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'd be confident in saying that you will not see the full size tire.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Is there a plan to rotate all 5 tires on the Pilot? The 5th matched full-size spare is a good idea but tends to become an unused and aged tire after 5-7 years. Using the 5th matched full-size spare tire into the rotation could increase tire tread life by 25%. In the jeep forums there is usually a debate on drive train damage from running one matched full-size spare with the other three worn tires.
I'd not because it can't be mixed in without changing tire rotation direction. I only rotate front to back for that reason.
It's a spare. Mount an Otani on it. 😁

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'd not because it can't be mixed in without changing tire rotation direction. I only rotate front to back for that reason.
It's a spare. Mount an Otani on it. 😁
Good point. Then my historically unused full-size matching spare tire will be a cheap skinny tall tire or left over used tire to be replaced every 5-7 years.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Good point. Then my historically unused full-size matching spare tire will be a cheap skinny tall tire or left over used tire to be replaced every 5-7 years.
If you have all wheel drive, won't a taller tire mess with the VTM since one tire rotates faster than the other?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you have all wheel drive, won't a taller tire mess with the VTM since one tire rotates faster than the other?
For my Pilot project the 4 main tires will be 245/70R17 (30.5") and for a spare I would consider a taller aspect tire, 225/80R16 (30.18") a cheap skinny tire that matches the overall diameter. I'd rather not spend $$ for a 5th matching full-size spare tire that may remain unused and aged in 5-7 years.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used the almost new 245-60-18 Firestone Destination LE2 for my full size on a 5th Ridgeline rim. If Honda doesn't have an issue with us using a tire that is 2"+ shorter for temporary use, I have no issue using one 1" less than what I'm running normally (and my winter tire size). I wanted the same basic width so that I can air it down if needed on the beach. The skinny compact 1/2 width spare does not go well with soft sand.

Unused and aged is OK with me. Spare tires and insurance, expenses you hope to never need.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts