Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like finding good quality tires at a low price. I think it's ridiculous to pay $800 to a $1200 for tires.
What I don't like about the BF Goodrich tire is price and it only has a 44 max psi rating. But if your in the market for cushy tires, it's rated #1 in the category.
I have opted for a tire in the high performance category because I found that the 4200 Lb Pilot needed a tire that could do a better job supporting it's weight (even more so when loaded) and being able to go into a high speed corner without letting off the gas. I have been very happy with the performance of my Sumitomo HTR AS P02. With a 51lb max psi rating, you can safely inflate to 38 psi cold (max 42 hot) and buddy your in business when taking those 75 mph curves. It's also a much better tire if you tow. Order online and ship to your home or favorite tire shop for $500 a set for your 20in rim size. My local tire shop charges me $100 to mount and balance.
245 50r20 102V
Thanks so much for your advice! 55K on my 2016 Pilot Touring OEM's, and my dealer quoted me $1155 for the Continental CrossContact LX Sport with install. Found your Sumitomo's on amazon, and with delivery to a Pepboys shop and install included, it says it'll cost $620! Crazy it's half the price, esp if the quality is as good as you say! Question for you (I am NOT a car savvy gal, that was my dad and I wish I would have learned some stuff before he passed). It looks like the recommendation is to service and/or replace the TPMS at time of new tire install. What's your take on it, do I need to order or ask the pepboys shop if they have or can get and do that, or should I even worry about it? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Thanks so much for your advice! 55K on my 2016 Pilot Touring OEM's, and my dealer quoted me $1155 for the Continental CrossContact LX Sport with install. Found your Sumitomo's on amazon, and with delivery to a Pepboys shop and install included, it says it'll cost $620! Crazy it's half the price, esp if the quality is as good as you say! Question for you (I am NOT a car savvy gal, that was my dad and I wish I would have learned some stuff before he passed). It looks like the recommendation is to service and/or replace the TPMS at time of new tire install. What's your take on it, do I need to order or ask the pepboys shop if they have or can get and do that, or should I even worry about it? THANK YOU!
Since you vehicle is 4 years old and if they have never been replaced, it probably would be a good idea if you did.
Let us know how you like the tires when you get them please. I'd ask for 38 psi cold inflation temp. And see how you like it (41-42 hot). If you think it's to firm, you can reduce it to 36 psi.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do some reading at TIreRack for the tires (the Sumitomo's, the Continentals, Michelin's, others) Consider the optional slightly larger size.

When reading the reviews see WHERE they are and how many total miles reviewed in the surveys. Watch some videos on tirerack with their testing and Consumer Reports.You're in Seattle, Nail Grease in Texas you might need something better in snow or slush. I did that, I bought some at the time getting good ratings/reviews Continental Cross Contact LX (not the sport) in an H rating. All the good reviews were down south They were pretty close to the worst tires I ever had for winter and for life. I had a Sequoia, awesome AWD, 4WD setup, tires were 5-6 months old with about 3k miles on them. Wife parked her Sequoia and took my front wheel drive Sonata as she couldn't stop, starting was a symphony of click/buzz/beep from all the traction/stability controls . I tried it and bought new snows right after.

Reviews on the factory Continentals aren't much better than the Bridgestones that came on the EX-L. Again my wife with her 3 day old Pilot on the Bridgestones almost wrecked it trying to stop on a small hill coming home from work. She wanted to bring it back and get her Sequoia back. The tires were that bad compared to what she was used to.

And NO, I'm not opposed to any brand, I had Bridgestone Blizzaks that were really good. My wifes Pilot and and my Sonata currently have Continental WinterContact SI for winters. My sons Forte has Continental Viking Contact 7. My Daughters CRV has General Altimax Arctic 12 (owned by Continental). Pilot, Sonata, Kia Forte all have different Michelin versions on them for 3 seasons. CRV is running the Altimax still as last year it saw about 3,000 miles total, this year will be less and they were brand new 2 years ago (the Michelin Defenders were shot so I tossed them).

Saving $$ is always good especially pending budget. Saving $$ and not being satisfied and replacing early due to wear/performance/noise is a waste. Heck, Check Craiglist, Letgo, Ebay (and Ridgeline Forums) You might find Takeoffs rims and tires in 18" if you are OK with that. My friend and I just worked a deal, 700 mile Firestone Destination LE on Ridgeline rims with TPMS for $900. I gave him $400 for his 2-3 year old no scratches rims which are now on Pilot. My Sequoia had used Bridgestone Dueler for almost 2 years They wore out fast, takeoffs from somebody upgrading. $250 for 4 tires lasted 2 years. Money was tight, couldn't pass it up, for almost new tread and good dry and wet.

TPMS- many include in the cost or minimal price. Normally new seals and battery. They should last years without any intervention but doesn't hurt. Keeps you from going back as long as they know what they are doing as it prevents leaks and you coming back complaining.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for all the info, both of you! Yep I'm in Seattle, not worried so much with a ton of snow but definitely we can get some ice and TONS of rain =). Need to think on this a bit more now

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Thanks for all the info, both of you! Yep I'm in Seattle, not worried so much with a ton of snow but definitely we can get some ice and TONS of rain =). Need to think on this a bit more now
The Sumitomo HTR AS P02 is serving us well in wet and dry conditions. We put 64k miles on a set of these in a little over 2 years with no complaints from the driver. The driver was very glad to have a new set of the same tires put on. I wouldn't consider these a winter tire by any means. We have never had to drive in icy conditions to give an opinion on how they would perform in winter conditions. Our opinion to put these on my wife's Pilot was based on durability, traction and handling in high speed driving conditions on the interstate. The price was certainly an influence to give these a chance. I like saving 💲. We are pleased with our choice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It looks like the recommendation is to service and/or replace the TPMS at time of new tire install. What's your take on it, do I need to order or ask the pepboys shop if they have or can get and do that, or should I even worry about it
IMO just get the tires installed and balanced if you’re not experiencing any TPMS issues. In general TPMS sensors can fail as soon as 7 yr or still be working at 10. Up for some debate is the value of a $3 per tire TPMS service pack offered by some installers like Costco.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
For good wet weather performance, look at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, the Continental CrossContact LX25 or the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058.
If ice is a greater concern, then look at either the Toyo Celsius CUV or the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

·
Registered
294 Posts
TireRack and DiscountTireDirect have great information, read the research and advice so you know what to look for. Both have a tire selector to help. If you go with one set, not needing or wanting actual winter tires, maybe look for one of the all-weather (not all season) versions. Read the reviews and ratings. TireRack tests many in snow conditions also so watch the videos if you click on a tire. 245-50-20 is what you have BUT 255-50-20 might give other better choices for you. Do you take the Pilot on any trails/logging roads/muddy areas or is it purely a highway and on road queen? Drive fast on winding roads? in heavy rain? Long drives that a louder tire or whine/pitch might drive you crazy?

Did what you have work for everything you needed? Get something similar. Channel your inner NailGrease, Altimax RT43 for $120/tire decent reviews. When you drove in Winter conditions did you feel confident or nervous, white knuckle? With Pilot and new winter tires, wife went from didn't want to drive, white knuckle crying to no issues and would prefer to drive over getting in car with friends because she knows what her truck can do. Her friends...not so much.

18" EX-L rims/tires these tires $uck in winter/cold/ice but an example of quick search in Seattle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
TireRack and DiscountTireDirect have great information, read the research and advice so you know what to look for. Both have a tire selector to help. If you go with one set, not needing or wanting actual winter tires, maybe look for one of the all-weather (not all season) versions. Read the reviews and ratings. TireRack tests many in snow conditions also so watch the videos if you click on a tire. 245-50-20 is what you have BUT 255-50-20 might give other better choices for you. Do you take the Pilot on any trails/logging roads/muddy areas or is it purely a highway and on road queen? Drive fast on winding roads? in heavy rain? Long drives that a louder tire or whine/pitch might drive you crazy?

Did what you have work for everything you needed? Get something similar. Channel your inner NailGrease, Altimax RT43 for $120/tire decent reviews. When you drove in Winter conditions did you feel confident or nervous, white knuckle? With Pilot and new winter tires, wife went from didn't want to drive, white knuckle crying to no issues and would prefer to drive over getting in car with friends because she knows what her truck can do. Her friends...not so much.

18" EX-L rims/tires these tires $uck in winter/cold/ice but an example of quick search in Seattle.
Thanks so much for all this! I did/do like the oem tires (continental) that I have, and felt the performed well. Mainly heavy rains, some ice and long drives so definitely want a quieter ride. Very occasional drive on trails/logging roads. I'm a defensive driver (firefighter, it's the nature =)), and have felt confident in the performance of my current set. Just trying to swallow the price, and wanted to make sure there's not a more reasonable option that performs the same =). Love this site and all the knowledge it has to offer!

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I did/do like the oem tires (continental) that I have, and felt the performed well. Mainly heavy rains, some ice and long drives so definitely want a quieter ride. Very occasional drive on trails/logging roads. I'm a defensive driver (firefighter, it's the nature =)), and have felt confident in the performance of my current set. Just trying to swallow the price, and wanted to make sure there's not a more reasonable option that performs the same =).
If you were expecting to be able to get relatively cheap replacement tires, then buying a vehicle with 20" wheels wasn't the best choice.

Having the tires installed by Pep Boys might not be the best choice, either.
I'd suggest finding a shop that has a Hunter road force type balancer.
You can get a list of such shops here: Road Force® Locator | Hunter Engineering Company®

It looks like the Pep Boys shops do not have such a machine, while the Discount Tire shops do.
Discount Tire seems to have a good reputation, judging from previous posts to this forum.

From among the list of tires I posted above, Discount Tire sells the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, the Continental CrossContact LX25, the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058 and the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.
If it wasn't for the fact that you mentioned some driving on trails/logging roads, I'd include the General AltiMAX RT43 as a lower cost option.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
If you were expecting to be able to get relatively cheap replacement tires, then buying a vehicle with 20" wheels wasn't the best choice.

Having the tires installed by Pep Boys might not be the best choice, either.
I'd suggest finding a shop that has a Hunter road force type balancer.
You can get a list of such shops here: Road Force® Locator | Hunter Engineering Company®

It looks like the Pep Boys shops do not have such a machine, while the Discount Tire shops do.
Discount Tire seems to have a good reputation, judging from previous posts to this forum.

From among the list of tires I posted above, Discount Tire sells the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, the Continental CrossContact LX25, the Yokohama Geolandar CV G058 and the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.
If it wasn't for the fact that you mentioned some driving on trails/logging roads, I'd include the General AltiMAX RT43 as a lower cost option.
My Honda dealer has the Road Force Elite's at both shops. They also have their alignment machines. Perhaps that's one of the reasons they sell a lot of tires as well.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
My Honda dealer has the Road Force Elite's at both shops. They also have their alignment machines. Perhaps that's one of the reasons they sell a lot of tires as well.
When Hunter first introduced the road force type balance machine, you were much more likely to find one at a new car dealership rather than at a tire shop. To a certain extent, that's still true today.
Back then I would buy tires at Sears - because, every so often, they had some particularly good discount offers for their credit card holders - and then take the tires to the car dealer for installation. It wasn't the absolute cheapest or the most convenient method, but I was able to get Michelin tires at a price lower than from TireRack and knew that the installation was handled properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
With the Pilot I never expect anything to be cheap =), though I'm always one to look at it all and figure out the best options. Curious between the Continental crosscontact lx sport and the Yokohama Geolandar's . . . . any preference and reasons why? Both are comparable with price it seems. Just called the Lexus dealership and could get the Yokohama's put on (with alignment) for $1030. Honda dealership for the Continental's would be 1155. Seriously appreciate all the info!

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Curious between the Continental crosscontact lx sport and the Yokohama Geolandar's . . . . any preference and reasons why? Both are comparable with price it seems. Just called the Lexus dealership and could get the Yokohama's put on (with alignment) for $1030. Honda dealership for the Continental's would be 1155. Seriously appreciate all the info!
If you got 55K miles from the OEM Continental tires, and you liked them and they performed well for you, then maybe you should simply get another set of them and stay with a known quantity, so to speak.
Ask the Honda dealer if they have any special deals for first responders.

Also, inquire if Discount Tire can special order the CrossContact LX Sport tires and what would be their price.
Get a quote for the CrossContact LX25, as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks so much for all this! I did/do like the oem tires (continental) that I have, and felt the performed well. Mainly heavy rains, some ice and long drives so definitely want a quieter ride. Very occasional drive on trails/logging roads. I'm a defensive driver (firefighter, it's the nature =)), and have felt confident in the performance of my current set. Just trying to swallow the price, and wanted to make sure there's not a more reasonable option that performs the same =). Love this site and all the knowledge it has to offer!
From one firefighter to another, Thank you for your service! If you haven't registered on ID.ME do that. MANY discounts for first responders. (BP was doing a couple tanks at 1/2 price gas during pandemic shutdowns).

I'll go back to my original recommendation of Michelin Defender LTX M/S in slightly larger 255-50-20. This is from my experience with noise, life, traction wet/dry and worked well on all the trails and beach I used them on with previous vehicles. The only negative I really ever read from many reviews and test places was the price. Between this version and previous just on Tirerack has 34 million miles worth of reviews. Others have a lot less or none.

My brother-in-law has the previous version of the Pirelli on his Tiguan and really like the handling and grip. After 2 season he did buy winter rims and Michelin X-ice for better winter grip. He was satisfied with first year winter on the Pirelli, ok the second until end of season, amazed at difference true winter made when he switched. He's due for new 3 season and will probably do the Pirelli again.

For my wife and kids, I voted with my wallet and what I'm confident in and yes, their are nice scratches in my J-Sport skid plate that weren't put there by me :whistle: . Next request from her is the lift.

By the way, if you have a BJ's Wholesale by you, they have $150 off 4 Michelin until July 9th. BJ's tire offers . Maybe see if Discount Tire or dealer can match. DT always has extra off if you get their credit card. Mine has been used many times.

Tirerack survey CUV SUV Touring if you look at the survey results and reviews you'll see the Crosscontact LX Sport is just one spot off the bottom, better than the Bridgestones on the EX-L's if people would recommend. I think you can do better with probably most of the recommendations given. If my recommendation was not available, I'd probably try the unreviewed Pirelli or the GY weatheready before the Conti based on TR recommendation.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
From one firefighter to another, Thank you for your service! If you haven't registered on ID.ME do that. MANY discounts for first responders. (BP was doing a couple tanks at 1/2 price gas during pandemic shutdowns).

I'll go back to my original recommendation of Michelin Defender LTX M/S in slightly larger 255-50-20. This is from my experience with noise, life, traction wet/dry and worked well on all the trails and beach I used them on with previous vehicles. The only negative I really ever read from many reviews and test places was the price. Between this version and previous just on Tirerack has 34 million miles worth of reviews. Others have a lot less or none.

My brother-in-law has the previous version of the Pirelli on his Tiguan and really like the handling and grip. After 2 season he did buy winter rims and Michelin X-ice for better winter grip. He was satisfied with first year winter on the Pirelli, ok the second until end of season, amazed at difference true winter made when he switched. He's due for new 3 season and will probably do the Pirelli again.

For my wife and kids, I voted with my wallet and what I'm confident in and yes, their are nice scratches in my J-Sport skid plate that weren't put there by me :whistle: . Next request from her is the lift.

By the way, if you have a BJ's Wholesale by you, they have $150 off 4 Michelin until July 9th. BJ's tire offers . Maybe see if Discount Tire or dealer can match. DT always has extra off if you get their credit card. Mine has been used many times.

Tirerack survey CUV SUV Touring if you look at the survey results and reviews you'll see the Crosscontact LX Sport is just one spot off the bottom, better than the Bridgestones on the EX-L's if people would recommend. I think you can do better with probably most of the recommendations given. If my recommendation was not available, I'd probably try the unreviewed Pirelli or the GY weatheready before the Conti based on TR recommendation.
sequoiasoon Thanks!!! For all the info, and for the tip on ID.ME, never heard of it so will check it out! You still working or retired? I've got 17 in and (crossing fingers) 5 1/2 left before I call it =)

·
Registered
294 Posts
sequoiasoon Thanks!!! For all the info, and for the tip on ID.ME, never heard of it so will check it out! You still working or retired? I've got 17 in and (crossing fingers) 5 1/2 left before I call it =)
Stay Safe and Healthy! Mine is just for the fun and helping community, 25 as volunteer. By me they do have small LOSAP for volunteer. $20/month for each year at 55, so in 4 years I have a bit extra to cover car payment. Also 10% off property tax which on Long Island is a nice monthly/yearly saving. When I got the call for career FF, I was just married, just bought a house, wife late and it was a $10k pay cut which at that time was 30% of my salary. I also would have had to move because academy was 3+ hours away with no traffic. I could be retired already. Where I am, probably at least 11 to go before I can hit the retire button. It will be here before you know it.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
Stay Safe and Healthy! Mine is just for the fun and helping community, 25 as volunteer. By me they do have small LOSAP for volunteer. $20/month for each year at 55, so in 4 years I have a bit extra to cover car payment. Also 10% off property tax which on Long Island is a nice monthly/yearly saving. When I got the call for career FF, I was just married, just bought a house, wife late and it was a $10k pay cut which at that time was 30% of my salary. I also would have had to move because academy was 3+ hours away with no traffic. I could be retired already. Where I am, probably at least 11 to go before I can hit the retire button. It will be here before you know it.
And this folks is what you get when some Hose Draggers get together.....

We would never act that way....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow 25 volunteer is awesome, and fun yeah, but still all the work! Totally get timing =). I started late, was a counselor before ems (which actually plays in quite well). Been almost 25 in ems, almost 21 as a medic and hit 17 for fire/medic a few months ago. Time does fly! Though my back knows the years I've logged 😜.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts