Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Pilot has around 40K miles on it and the OEM Continentals are down to around 3/32, so it's time to get new ones.

We have a CRV in which we're on our second set of BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sports. They seem to last fairly close to the 65K mile warranty while driving in Florida, which is actually really good. It's a fairly smooth ride
I can get these tires at Sams for around $180 per tire prior to installation, so overall it would be around $200 per tire installed.

For the Pilot, I was going to get the BF Goodrich again, but came across a few different Pirelli Scorpion options. My comparison is below:

BrandModelPriceMILESTreadTreadwearTractionTemperatureDeal
Pirelli ScorpionSTR102H $ 142.5265K11/32
520​
AA$80 off 4
Pirelli ScorpionVerde A/S Plus II102V $ 184.0665K11/32
740​
AA$80 off 4
BF Goodrich AdvantageT/A Sport LT102H $ 198.9965K11/32
700​
BA$80 off 4

So all 3 have the same tread-wear warranty.

Does anyone have experience with any of these tires, and if so, would you recommend any of those listed? If there's a tire you truly love on your Pilot, I would be interested in that too. It's my wife's car. It's driven probably 15K miles per year on asphalt roads in Florida. We don't need anything fancy, but like a smooth ride and a long lasting and safe tire.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I can't give you any Input on any of those tires as I have not driven on them. I can recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires which are in that price range with the Discount they are running and per Tire Rack are one of the best performing tires for this class. Ice had them for 40k miles already and still have 8/32 depth on all of them. The first 20k miles were driven in NY and the later in Florida. Their wet traction is stellar.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Our Pilot has around 40K miles on it and the OEM Continentals are down to around 3/32, so it's time to get new ones.

I can get these tires at Sams for around $180 per tire prior to installation, so overall it would be around $200 per tire installed.

For the Pilot, I was going to get the BF Goodrich again, but came across a few different Pirelli Scorpion options. My comparison is below:

BrandModelPriceMILESTreadTreadwearTractionTemperatureDeal
Pirelli ScorpionSTR102H$ 142.5265K11/32
520​
AA$80 off 4
Pirelli ScorpionVerde A/S Plus II102V$ 184.0665K11/32
740​
AA$80 off 4
BF Goodrich AdvantageT/A Sport LT102H$ 198.9965K11/32
700​
BA$80 off 4

So all 3 have the same tread-wear warranty.

Does anyone have experience with any of these tires, and if so, would you recommend any of those listed? It's my wife's car. It's driven probably 15K miles per year on asphalt roads in Florida. We don't need anything fancy, but like a smooth ride and a long lasting and safe tire.
Among the three tires you identified:

The Pirelli STR is an ancient design, so skip that one.

According to Tire Rack tests, the BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT performs better in snow and worse on wet roads - probably not what you'd want for Florida driving.

Regarding the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, Tire Rack said:
What We Liked: It's smooth and quiet on the road, nice to drive in the dry, strong in the wet, good in the snow.
What We'd Improve: It doesn't need anything, but we'll always take more.
Conclusion: Pirelli's improvements make this one just right.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the Continental CrossContact LX25 on my Pilot when the OEM tires get old. How was your experience with the OEM tires?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I like finding good quality tires at a low price. I think it's ridiculous to pay $800 to a $1200 for tires.
What I don't like about the BF Goodrich tire is price and it only has a 44 max psi rating. But if your in the market for cushy tires, it's rated #1 in the category.
I have opted for a tire in the high performance category because I found that the 4200 Lb Pilot needed a tire that could do a better job supporting it's weight (even more so when loaded) and being able to go into a high speed corner without letting off the gas. I have been very happy with the performance of my Sumitomo HTR AS P02. With a 51lb max psi rating, you can safely inflate to 38 psi cold (max 42 hot) and buddy your in business when taking those 75 mph curves. It's also a much better tire if you tow. Order online and ship to your home or favorite tire shop for $500 a set for your 20in rim size. My local tire shop charges me $100 to mount and balance.
245 50r20 102V

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires which are in that price range with the Discount they are running and per Tire Rack are one of the best performing tires for this class. Ice had them for 40k miles already and still have 8/32 depth on all of them. The first 20k miles were driven in NY and the later in Florida. Their wet traction is stellar.
I second this. I'm contemplating getting them for mine tomorrow. Costco in NY at least has a sale $150 off when you buy 4 that ends tomorrow. I had them on 2 other vehicles, smooth, quite, long lasting great rain. Mine has 18" rims which adds to better ride (and better off road traction when aired down).

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I can't give you any Input on any of those tires as I have not driven on them. I can recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires which are in that price range with the Discount they are running and per Tire Rack are one of the best performing tires for this class. Ice had them for 40k miles already and still have 8/32 depth on all of them. The first 20k miles were driven in NY and the later in Florida. Their wet traction is stellar.
I second this. I'm contemplating getting them for mine tomorrow. Costco in NY at least has a sale $150 off when you buy 4 that ends tomorrow. I had them on 2 other vehicles, smooth, quite, long lasting great rain. Mine has 18" rims which adds to better ride (and better off road traction when aired down).
Purely anecdotal information - and how is it at all helpful?
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S isn't made in the 245/50R20 size used on the OP's 2017 Touring.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I have opted for a tire in the high performance category because I found that the 4200 Lb Pilot needed a tire that could do a better job supporting it's weight (even more so when loaded) and being able to go into a high speed corner without letting off the gas. I have been very happy with the performance of my Sumitomo HTR AS P02. With a 51lb max psi rating, you can safely inflate to 38 psi cold (max 42 hot) and buddy your in business when taking those 75 mph curves. It's also a much better tire if you tow.
The speed limit in Florida is 70.
Does the OP's wife, perhaps, take the Pilot out to the track at Sebring or Daytona to find "those 75 mph curves"?
Was there any mention of towing?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Does the OP's wife, perhaps, take the Pilot out to the track at Sebring or Daytona to find "those 75 mph curves"?
Last time I checked someone speaking on personal experience from ownership is pretty helpful. You can't say that Michelin's aren't class leaders. My tires are 255/50/R20s. The Pilot can manage upto 265s from what everyone has posted on the numerous tire threads on here. But go ahead...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I said "if"you tow. There are others reading this thread that may tow.

We don't need anything fancy, but like a smooth ride and a long lasting and safe tire.
The (SL) Standard Load rating of the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 in HIGH Performance category will provide the OP's wife with a "safe" ride on those long trips to Florida. I'm certain that the improved handling will be noticeable and the OP and his wife will conclude that yes, they are more "safe." And for the price, for tires that need not be "anything fancy," these tires are in fact "long lasting," comparable to the Pereli tires the OP listed. These also rated as a 65,000 mile tire. Coming off factory tires myself, I consider these tires as "smooth." Your getting a lot of tire for the price.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Purely anecdotal information - and how is it at all helpful?
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S isn't made in the 245/50R20 size used on the OP's 2017 Touring.
But it IS available in 255-50-20 and 265-50-20 same as others have done and upsize. 245-50 vs. 255-50

The same is done with the 18" rims.

the 255 is a minimal size change and to get a better tire, worth while

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
But it IS available in 255-50-20 and 265-50-20 same as others have done and upsize. 245-50 vs. 255-50
The same is done with the 18" rims.
the 255 is a minimal size change and to get a better tire, worth while
But, the OP wants to buy tires at Sam's Club and they will only install tires that are the same size as the OEM fitment.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
BJ's didn't fuss me about ordering, and installing out of spec tires . Costco doesn't either and I still have their Road Hazard warranty.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I haven't bought tires at Sams so don't know if similar to Costco/BJ's. I just got back from Costco paying for my 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S. Install is Tuesday. I just had to acknowledge that I was getting a size greater the 3% different (3.2%) and that I was ok with a lower speed rating (118 mph vs 130) but it also has a higher load rating.

And like Obsidian, full road hazard rating in effect.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Sumitomo that NailGrease looks good and seems to get decent ratings.

The Michelin has a higher load rating over it but less speed rating. Everybody has their preference and experience. I can tell you that my wife commented on how much worse the ride quality was and that it was noisier with the performance Bridgestone's that came on it as compared to her winter tires. For her to notice says something. Air pressure is subjective for what the tire can do. Proper inflation is key, normal load and heavy load.

My son's girlfriend's grandfather keeps putting 50psi in her Honda Accord every visit because that's what sidewall says is max PSI. Her tires wore out right down the center, rode and handled like garbage, especially rain and snow. She knows proper PSI now and after every trip to her grandparents she stops around the corner and brings them down to proper PSI. Easier than trying to explain to the old guy.

Proper for flat, even, treadwear gives best contact patch for best grip. Do the chalk test and see where it is. If you feel you need load capacity buy better capacity tire to fit needs. Need better high speed crisp handling, get performance high speed rating. Drive normal with traffic, even up to 118mph constant get what can accommodate that. Police buy me normally allow up to about 70mph pending traffic flow and your driving. 73 MPH cost one of my workers $480 in fines and penalties. Traffic was doing 70 but he did quick lane change on 3 lanes each way highway to get around somebody and caught the attention. I was doing 70 with the flow and saw him and the cop. 100mph+ and would definitely be a lot more issue.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The Sumitomo that NailGrease looks good and seems to get decent ratings.
On the Sumitomo HTR AS P02, if you buy these at TireRack.com you can get a free 2 year Road Hazard Waranty. You will pay a higher price there at the moment, but if you call, they may price match Amazon. Worth trying if your going this route. I bought my last set on TireRack for this reason even though they were $2 a tire higher.

Don't forget to inflate to 38psi cold.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
On the Sumitomo HTR AS P02, if you buy these at TireRack.com you can get a free 2 year Road Hazard Waranty. You will pay a higher price there at the moment, but if you call, they may price match Amazon. Worth trying if your going this route. I bought my last set on TireRack for this reason even though they were $2 a tire higher.
Tire Rack does not match prices.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
My son's girlfriend's grandfather keeps putting 50psi in her Honda Accord every visit because that's what sidewall says is max PSI. Her tires wore out right down the center, rode and handled like garbage, especially rain and snow. She knows proper PSI now and after every trip to her grandparents she stops around the corner and brings them down to proper PSI. Easier than trying to explain to the old guy.
The grandfather probably grew up with bias ply tires and thinks that all radial tires look low on air, even when they're properly inflated.
Isn't there a label somewhere on the Accord, showing the correct/recommended inflation pressures, that your son's girlfriend can show to her grandfather?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts