Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Tire Rack for suspension parts? I already have on-hand rear springs and was considering obtaining the shocks and front struts from them. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not because it would reduces the size of the overall project for the local suspension shop, so their pricing may be greater. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
TR has good prices on wheel&tire combos but I never looked at their suspension parts. Compare the prices and shipping with Rock Auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone mentioned RockAuto, which may have better prices. What I was questioning was the concept of bringing parts to a suspension shop vs. letting them take care of everything.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
RA does charge shipping so factor that in when comparing prices for similar suspension parts. Ask if the shop is receptive to installing your parts. Some shops will work with you while others play hardball. Sometimes it’s better for the shop to warranty all their work and parts.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,254 Posts
If I have to get work done by a mechanic, I almost always bring my own parts unless it's an emergency, and then stay, watch and learn (and trust but verify) while they do the job. I make a modest amount of pleasant chitchat and try to stay out of their way. Any place that has a problem with this doesn't get my business. Most all are OK with this and in all fairness I'm OK with paying 10% above shop rate if they don't get to make their usual commission on parts. I find some of them enjoy the change of pace from their usual regimen of repetitive FM hard rock and and the boss just barking orders all day. As a bonus, I get a peek at their naughty wall posters, although I observe that those are getting fewer and farther between as the times march on. O tempora, o mores. :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RA does charge shipping so factor that in when comparing prices for similar suspension parts. Ask if the shop is receptive to installing your parts. Some shops will work with you while others play hardball. Sometimes it’s better for the shop to warranty all their work and parts.
I found the shop I'm talking with from Tire Rack's list of Installers. I'm assuming they'll take parts from RA as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts