Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 and the dealership reported that I need to replace why front tire d/t a huge cut in tread. They replaced it and I questioned if I need to replace any of my other tires since they will not be equal. They said I do not since they are at an 8 tread.

Well back at same dealer today which is one week later for an oil change and now my treads measure at 5 tread. Guessing the person that measured them a week ago measured improperly.

My question, shouldn't I have at least equal treads on my front tires?

Thank you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You are correct, they should match side to side to protect the differentials. Used to be if you have AWD they should all match, but I think the newer electronic center diffs aren't as sensitive to front/back mismatch?

Confirm the tread depth yourself rather than relying on what some tech wrote on the paper. It's straightforward to measure them in mm with a ruler.

You can replace the other tire(s) with new ones, or have the one new one shaved down to match.

For more ideas:

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Anyone intrested in good quality low priced tires now?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
Anyone intrested in good quality low priced tires now?
You realize that the governing board at VertiaclScope is currently discussing if you should have to have your account reclassified to a supporting Vendor account?

You might want to speak to Sumotomo about upping your dealers fee to cover the expense.

;) 😁😆😅😂🤣

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
You realize that the governing board at VertiaclScope is currently discussing if you should have to have your account reclassified to a supporting Vendor account?

You might want to speak to Sumotomo about upping your dealers fee to cover the expense.

;) 😁😆😅😂🤣
Sumitomo wants a long-term commitment.
@Nail Grease wants to be free to change his allegiance whenever the next cheaper brand of high-performance tires comes along.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
I have a 2019 and the dealership reported that I need to replace why front tire d/t a huge cut in tread. They replaced it and I questioned if I need to replace any of my other tires since they will not be equal. They said I do not since they are at an 8 tread.

Well back at same dealer today which is one week later for an oil change and now my treads measure at 5 tread. Guessing the person that measured them a week ago measured improperly.

My question, shouldn't I have at least equal treads on my front tires?

Thank you.
If it is a 2wd vehicle it is satisfactory to replace both tires on the same axel and best to replace all 4 tires. For a 2WD vehicle the tread difference should be 4/32” or less.

If it is an AWD vehicle it is best to replace all 4 tires unless there is a very minor tread difference. For a AWD vehicle the tread difference should be no more than 2/32”.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts

;) 😁😆😅😂🤣
Well that would be great if I were getting paid by all these companies who's products I personally use.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Still pushing those Otani tires?
I own a couple of sets of Otani. No problems to speak of. They balanced well and not showing signs of excessive tire wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts