Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2013 Pilot 2 months ago - knew tires weren't the best, but just this week noticed 2 gashes in one of the tires (front drivers side). See pictures attached. Not sure how they got there. Anyone have any idea why these would occur? Also, I am having difficulty figuring out the age of the tire - the expected 4 digit code for week/year of manufacture is not there. Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
The damage could have been done when installed. But sidewall punctures can occur most anywhere by running over debris or curbs etc.
If you don't see dates on the outside of the tire, then they are on the inside.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Besides the obvious gashes the sidewalls there are plenty of cracks indicative of either dry rot and age of the tire. IMO start looking for replacements
I didn't look that close. Sure nuff.
OP needs new tires ASAP.
Can we make sugestions now? Lol

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
If the tires you’re putting on your car are less than $100/tire that should be a red flag for you. The car cost at least $30k new so why cheap out on tires. It’s the only thing between you and the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the tires you’re putting on your car are less than $100/tire that should be a red flag for you. The car cost at least $30k new so why cheap out on tires. It’s the only thing between you and the road.
As someone who has run some insanely cheap tires in my day sporting names from who knows what manufacturer.... I agree it’s worth spending a bit more... BUT I have had decent luck with cheap tires too. In this case even $100 tires would be a massive step up from these dry rotted and damaged tires. You couldn’t pay me to drive these on the interstate. They will come apart and probably at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you drive that vehicle by yourself, then feel free to take your chances.

BUT ... if you have kids or drive friends around please get new tires.

I can see that thing blowing out on the highway or on the next pothole.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you for all the advice! You have confirmed what I was already thinking... I need new tires and shame on me for not seeing how bad they were when I bought the car.
Dont beat yourself up too bad. I’ve missed worse with rose colored glasses while looking at used cars. Sometimes it helps to bring a Debbie downer car friend with ya to point out all the stuff we tend to miss when our expectations are high. I’ve also found checklists to be helpful too. Just put new tires on and enjoy. No biggie. :)

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I'd inflate those Ultra High Performance Sumitomos to at least 36psi cold.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm curious if a high performance tire would get decent tread life on such a heavy vehicle.
I hope to get at least 40,000-50,000 miles out of my tires.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm curious if a high performance tire would get decent tread life on such a heavy vehicle.
I hope to get at least 40,000-50,000 miles out of my tires.
Compared to today’s big mall cruising SUVs our 1rst-2nd gen Pilots are not too heavy. The UTQT rating should give you relative guidance

·
Registered
944 Posts
Compared to today’s big mall cruising SUVs our 1rst-2nd gen Pilots are not too heavy. The UTQT rating should give you relative guidance
I don't know about your Pilot but mine chews through tires.
Also the weight difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Pilots is at the most about 300-400 pounds.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts