Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone increased their tire pressure above the recommended 32psi (and below the tire max) to achieve a better ride? If so, what pressure have you found provides the best ride without being too harsh?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've found that 32 psi works the best. I get 20 mpg easy......

·
Registered
173 Posts
Many earlier posters have noted that their Pilots were delivered with higher-than-recommended tire pressures. Most complained that the ride was too stiff and reduced the pressure closer to the suggested levels.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Herm, hoping for some increased mpg I put 'em all at 36psi prior to heading out for a vacation that required some distance driving and I noticed the *slightly* stiffer ride at times but otherwise the Pilot handled just fine. I've kept 'em there sincing returning and I don't think that my wife (the primary driver at home) has even noticed the difference.

I'll probably drop them to the 34psi range next time that I check them just to keep them a little closer to the standard 32psi.

herm4376 said:
Has anyone increased their tire pressure above the recommended 32psi (and below the tire max) to achieve a better ride? If so, what pressure have you found provides the best ride without being too harsh?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad everyone is talking about ABOVE the recommended and NOT below the recommend. Many think that was a big part of the problem with the Firestone disaster, was people ridding around with 24 or 26 pounds in their tires, which was included in theirs owners manual...what a formula for HEAT build up! That with probably a poor tire design and the results speak for themselves. So tire pressure is obviously VERY crutial!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I always run about 10% higher only because I prefer a slightly firmer ride and find manufacturer psi on the soft side. I find tires wear much better this way as well. I never exceed the psi max as stamped on the tire itself even though that's most likely a conservative rating allowing for safety margin.
Tires always seem to lose air over time as well, so your pressure is always going down, not up(except for heat pressure), so better to have a little reserve in there.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
just my two cents thought, please comment on it.

Probably, 32 psi is based on the max. loading condition. If drive to commute by only one person, the driver, increse to even 38, 39 or 40 psi should not have any safety concerns, I think .....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Too high...

when I picked it up on the 31st. The dealer was darn near perfect with the purchase and delivery. Was all done with the "walk around" and test drive. The Sales Manager had gone over everything in the Pilot. Just before I went to sign the papers, I brought out my handy dandy tire pressure gauge. Let's just check the tire pressure. The Sales Manager thought I was nuts.

Well, nuts or not one tire read 37psi, one 44psi and the other two at 46psi. Now the Sales Manger tried to convince me that since the tire was marked "Maximum PSI at 46" that's what we should leave them at. I suggested we look at the owners manual which indicated 32PSI (As we all know, of course). He still suggested 40PSI. I asked, "We are going to ignore the owners manual because?"). I put them all on 34PSI and like the ride and handling there. Long ramble; but even "almost perfect dealers" just can't get everythingright.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Have him read the PDI!

The dealer was not doing his job!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I showed him

on the PDI checklist where it was checked off as being completed while the Pilot was on the hoist. His response--Hmmmm.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Did you ask him,

"What else did you check off but not do?"

Then when he goes into the we checked it, but that for this reason" . . Put some B-S Here . . . " we always do that, you ask to use the phone, and call Honda customer support and ask them if that is right.

(Ain't I a devil) :2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rule on tire pressure that I remember is 1 lb more for each 10 degrees over 70 degrees. I found the Pilot to over steer with 39 lbs with stock tire, the same with new tires also.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I follow Mfg. recommendation posted right on the inside of the driver door - 32 PSI cold. Caution all that some of these quick oil change places will look at the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire and pump up your tires to the max. Over-inflation will wear the center and under-inflation will wear the outside edges.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Dealer recommend me using 4 psi above manufactory specs. That is due to the type of roads in Hawaii.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Alex Pacheco said:
My Dealer recommend me using 4 psi above manufactory specs. That is due to the type of roads in Hawaii.
My Pilot came in at 35 PSI. Dealer told me to keep it at 35 and follow tire manufacturer not Honda.......ummmm. After 1,600 miles I just changed mine today at 32 PSI, per Honda. IMHO the ride now is more luxurious somewhat soft. This is the same feel I have when I test drove my first Pilot nice/soft and absorbs the bumps a lot better. Since I usually drive the Pilot with the family I can not take advantage of the more sporty feel at 35 PSI.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts