Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a one-month-old 2020 Honda pilot EXL. Are very much enjoying it so far.

My wife is going on a long trip in a few days and so I checked the tire pressure and every tire was exactly at 41 psi. The sticker on the door jam says 32. It has been 95° today in NJ, but a few hours since she last drove it. Could all the tires be over inflated by the exact same amount? Is that change just due to the heat?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
Take it to the dealer ask them to check it for you. You will have to wait a bit as they will check them once the tires cool off. Tire pressure is always set with a cold tire.

My 2020 Passport all at 37 psi, the exact setting they should be at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t need to take it to a dealer to find out what the present tire pressure is. I’m fairly capable mechanically and I’ve owned and cared for many vehicles over 40+ years.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
We have a one-month-old 2020 Honda pilot EXL.
My wife is going on a long trip in a few days and so I checked the tire pressure and every tire was exactly at 41 psi. The sticker on the door jam says 32. It has been 95° today in NJ, but a few hours since she last drove it. Could all the tires be over inflated by the exact same amount? Is that change just due to the heat?
It could be due to the heat if the tires were last inflated when the ambient temperature was extremely cold.
More likely, as is typically done, the vehicle was shipped from the factory with the pressure set higher than normal and the dealer neglected to adjust the pressure down to the recommended setting as part of the pre-delivery inspection.
If the vehicle will be heavily loaded for the trip, setting the tire pressure to 35 psi will realize the tire's full load carrying capacity.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The rule of thumb is 1 psi per 10 degrees. If you last checked them when it was 40 degrees and it was 90 today, that's 5 psi right there. Otherwise it's possible your gauge is off on top of that. I think the tire pressure is one of 2 things I honestly miss about the Pilot.

Edit to add that it's possible the dealer left it too high rather than adjust it properly. They are usually overinflated on purpose so that they don't compress as much during transport. I once got a pretty fresh rental Charger and it was 45 all around!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
On 44 max psi tires..., I'd inflate to 35psi cold. 32psi is just to squishy for a vehicle that has a curb weight of 4200Lbs.
For my EX-L, I recently bought a set of high performance tires (51 max psi) that is safe to run at 44 psi hot if needed. I never felt safe with the OE touring tire in a 70 mph curve. I did loose some fuel economy with the heavier tire, I don't regret it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
On 44 max psi tires..., I'd inflate to 35psi cold. 32psi is just to squishy for a vehicle that has a curb weight of 4200Lbs.
That's what I go with, too -- 35psi -- and I feel it's the Goldilocks Zone.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Is heat this severe enough to have this impact?
On different roads at different speeds in changing weather conditions, this is normal. At 35psi cold, your normal max hot will be 38psi unless it's just a scorching day. 38psi would be my target hot number. It's not 95° in Jersey every day. 🏜😎

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I always round up to the next interval of 5 for my vehicles... so if the door says 32 I run 35, etc. I prefer the feeling of slightly stiffer sidewalls. But yours sound too high, if you don't have the means I'd ask the dealer to adjust them.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Check them first thing in the morning. Generally I run ours at 32. On a hot day they’ll creep up to 34 or 35.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
As ARB1977 and others said. First thing in the morning after sitting 8+ hours if possible and before sun hits them. I'm OK with door sticker or slightly over based on tire wear. Too much and you don't have flat, even wear and less traction. I just put new Defender LTX M/S on with a higher load rating. Wife and kids took a 2 hour trip and commented on improvement in sound and feel. Hard to express for the wife but put it as it felt better supported.

My Sonata needs 2 psi more in fronts as compared to back to achieve even wear.

Don't forget to check the pressure in the spare before the trip also (and at least every couple months). They lose 1 lb naturally monthly plus the temperature change. Mine was down to 40psi but I never dropped it to check and I carry a compressor to fill if needed. It now has a full size spare with a couple extra psi so will be checked more often.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
It now has a full size spare
That's the way to go: full size spare, and of course it fits. I take it down once a year to keep the hoist from rusting up, and put it back up with the valve stem facing down so I can check pressure more easily from time to time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts