Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a tire pressure warning symbol appearing in the instrument panel. Three tires were showing (lit) in the vehicle dash diagram and one was not. I assumed the "unlit" tire was the one with low pressure so I checked it and it read 28.5psi and all the others were within the same range. I pressured them all up to 32psi as recommended and now the icon shows all four tires are lit up but the warning icon ( ! ) is still appearing. I haven't driven yet, it since adding air to the tires.

It is deep winter here, temperatures near zero in the mornings and the car is stored in a warm garage until needed. Any tips from our experts here?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I just noticed a tire pressure warning symbol appearing in the instrument panel. Three tires were showing (lit) in the vehicle dash diagram and one was not. I assumed the "unlit" tire was the one with low pressure so I checked it and it read 28.5psi and all the others were within the same range. I pressured them all up to 32psi as recommended and now the icon shows all four tires are lit up but the warning icon ( ! ) is still appearing. I haven't driven yet, it since adding air to the tires.

It is deep winter here, temperatures near zero in the mornings and the car is stored in a warm garage until needed. Any tips from our experts here?
I'll get TPMS warnings below 33psi. And it can take a while and some driving after inflating to 35psi for the lights to disappear. I wouldn't worry about it unless your tires look flat on the bottom. If you're inflating to 32psi in a warm garage and it's zero outside, once you get out there the lights might not go out until the tires warm up.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get TPMS warnings below 33psi. And it can take a while and some driving after inflating to 35psi for the lights to disappear. I wouldn't worry about it unless your tires look flat on the bottom. If you're inflating to 32psi in a warm garage and it's zero outside, once you get out there the lights might not go out until the tires warm up.
Thanks Jimmaki. (y) This was the first time I've driven in single-digit temps this year and noticed the warning. Our garage holds wintertime temps in the low 40s and my local shop has inflated them up to 35psi, cold. However, I go with the door jamb 32psi recommendation. I'll keep an eye on this and perhaps reinflate them at the 35psi. I'm curious though, what the psi threshold is for those warnings to activate. I haven't seen anything specific about that in my owner's manuals.

This is a great forum and I've had good results with my questions on our first (pre-owned) Honda. And we love it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I'm remembering correctly, my 06 would show the warning around 29psi. And it did take a small amount of driving for the light to turn off.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Thanks Jimmaki. (y) This was the first time I've driven in single-digit temps this year and noticed the warning. Our garage holds wintertime temps in the low 40s and my local shop has inflated them up to 35psi, cold. However, I go with the door jamb 32psi recommendation. I'll keep an eye on this and perhaps reinflate them at the 35psi. I'm curious though, what the psi threshold is for those warnings to activate. I haven't seen anything specific about that in my owner's manuals.

This is a great forum and I've had good results with my questions on our first (pre-owned) Honda. And we love it!
I seem to remember 27-28psi as the low trigger point, but cold weather will make the actual pressure lower. 32psi is the correct pressure for OEM tires for 18" 2006. 34-35psi seems to give the best performance/mileage, cold weather safety margin. Recheck when hot weather returns so you don't end up overinflated.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
We had a similar thing happen on our 2005 Pilot which now gets parked outside. Three of the four TPMS sensors reported low tire pressure due to near freezing temperatures outside. I scanned the codes just to be sure the fault was low pressure (and not the TPMS sensor batteries beginning to fail; all are original) but it was for the three tires pressure being low. Inflated pressure to 33 psi on each tire, cleared the codes, and it hasn’t triggered since then.

I believe I read somewhere that the TPMS threshold can be re(set) with a scan/programming tool. It went something like:
1) Inflate tires to desired pressure
2) Recalibrate the TPMS sensors to the new nominal pressure value.
3) The sensor will trigger when the currently read pressure is a given percentage below nominal. I haven’t tried resetting the TPMS on my Pilot so I’m not sure if the threshold percentage is fixed or configurable.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
How long did you wait after arriving at home to measure the tire pressure? If you had driven a bit before going home the tire pressure likely increased. Might take a reading after the Pilot has sat for a few hours.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe a 15 min drive home. I should update my above post, I also checked at a stoplight shortly after leaving the lot. It was 40 there as well. Checked again once parked in the garage.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'd be afraid if I didn't get the pressure back up in that extreme cold, the tire might un-bead from the rim. But what do I know, it was 82°F here yesterday in S Texas with AC running 🤠. I think someone here is from Florida? Who's that? smirk

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'd be afraid if I didn't get the pressure back up in that extreme cold, the tire might un-bead from the rim. But what do I know, it was 82°F here yesterday in S Texas with AC running 🤠. I think someone here is from Florida? Who's that? smirk
Don't need no Texas weather ...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
32psi is the correct pressure for OEM tires for 18" 2006.
OEM for a 2006 is 16".

Softies. Fill to 35 PSI and drive it a bit. If your TPMS is functioning correctly that’s all you have to do. No need to doomsday prep.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Isn't there a battery in each TPMS for each wheel? Is it unfortunately possible that the batteries (or four new TPMS sensors) need to be replaced?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Isn't there a battery in each TPMS for each wheel? Is it unfortunately possible that the batteries (or four new TPMS sensors) need to be replaced?
Of course they made them so it's virtually impossible to just replace the batteries. Planned obsolescence, and the throw-away Bic model.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Of course they made them so it's virtually impossible to just replace the batteries. Planned obsolescence, and the throw-away Bic model. View attachment 145182
Bic lighter? More like the old Cricket lighter for $1.49 back in 1974. Adjusted for inflation that would be around $7.50 today.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 15 of 15 Posts