Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Pilot Elite AWD w/towing package, good for 5,000 lbs (I plan to tow 3,500lbs in 2 weeks). I looked at the door tag and all I see is 20" wheels / 35lbs. no Min/max.
I'm assuming I should raise the pressure at least to 38lbs, but wanted to ask / confirm specifically for towing.
I searched the Owners Manual, but couldn't find any recommendation (?)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been towing for many years, I have never seen anything that has said to increase the tire pressure when adding a trailer or cargo.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That's more common in LT tires that have maxes of 50, 80, and up... a lot of times the manufacturers have load charts and tell you what to inflate to based on the load that axle will see. When my dad had his old heavy duty pickups with E rated tires and the heavy travel trailer he took everything to the scales when he got the hitch properly set up to determine the weight and what PSI to run and would adjust before towing. Now his 1500 has P tires and the trailer is 5,000 lbs so he just keeps them at the door jamb rating.

With 3500 lbs I probably wouldn't be concerned but if you really are call the tire manufacturer and see if you can get the chart. You can't really use the chart without setting up your weight distribution hitch properly and getting the scaled weight with the loaded trailer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look on the tire itself for max load rating at max psi. Calculate what your CGVWR is with the trailer and adjust your tire pressure accordingly

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Look on the tire itself for max load rating at max psi. Calculate what your CGVWR is with the trailer and adjust your tire pressure accordingly
Are you sure this is a linear relationship?

OP, I'd get the load charts instead of making assumptions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys. When towing my camping trailer: (scaled at 5000lbs) I use a WDH(E2) and I made sure that my loaded pilot was within maximum axial weight at the scale. Both rear and front are at Max according to vehicle specs. (Rear is busted by about 45lbs to be honest)

I then found that the ride quality improved dramatically when inflating the rear tire to 42 PSI cold. I keep my front at 35 PSI since the front axle load isn’t that much more compare to normal daily drive..

So far, after two summer, I haven’t noticed any uneven tire wear. Just make sure to bring the tire pressure back to normal when not towing. Also NEVER exceed max tire PSI when measure cold... don’t be shocked, pressure will increase when driving due to heat...

The only risks with increasing tire pressure within tire max are:
Ride harshness/quality
Tire wear
Slight possibility for decrease grip if to hard for load

Advantages:
Reduce tire heating when loaded
Slightly more rigidity so less wobble
Less tire wear when loaded

All that being said:
3500 will probably correspond to roughly 350-400 lbs tongue weight, so not much of a rear axle load increase unless your trailer is really nose heavy, you won’t NEED to increase tire pressure but you could try a few PSI to see if it’s more comfortable on the freeway...

Keep it reasonable since P radial tires are much much less influenced by tire load / tire pressure relationship than trailer tires...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking to raise the pressure to 38lbs for pulling my trailer only. (We're planning a 2k mile round-trip at the end of the week).
Do I need to run the fronts @ 38lbs too, the vehicle is AWD. I'm assuming yes, just to be safe.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
I wonder what the max pressure is on the tire wall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rocky, didn't think of checking the tire. (D'oh)
20" Continental tires state max 51psi. So I feel comfortable running about 40 psi for the trip.

I did find something odd. I aired all of my tires up to 35.2 PSI exactly (I have a high-end digital tire gauge used for race car applications). Starting up, my Pilot TPI reads 34psi 3 days in a row. (I know it can go up as I drive and they heat up). Every tire reads low 1 PSI. I realize this isn't much, but they are consistant and heat up relatively consistantly as well. Is this intentional from Honda?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts