Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
? I had to hammer the correct socket onto the lug nut, then pry the socket off ?. Problem is I didn't notice it until 10k miles later.
Can you imagine your frustration + expletives with them lug nuts if discovered on the road with a flat tire?

·
Registered
208 Posts
My sons friend was over and complained how her car rides horrible, doesn't handle well and is horrible in the rain making her afraid to drive. Her grandfather does the "maintenance" on the family vehicles usually. Her '04 Honda Accord had 51 pounds in each tire because that's what the max pressure said on sidewall. Gave her some quick lessons between placard/sidewall/ratings etc. and showed some quick pictures from the net. We did a chalk test and ended up at about 34 front and 31 rear. I think placard had 30 or 32. We gave her a cheap tread depth gauge, Harbor freight compressor, decent air gauge, Gorilla wrench.

She now checks weekly, adjusted her parents cars and tried to explain to grandfather. She knows if he was around she needs to check all of them. Her car rides good, handles well and is much better in the rain. Chalk test showed at 51 she was on about 1/4 of the tire tread.

She took the TireRack Street Survival class. She was able to see that at her pressures the tire would roll slightly onto sidewall at more extreme emergency moves but still stayed planted. Her next set of tires she bought more performance based, higher rated ones. They are at about the same pressures and she is happy.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
My sons friend was over and complained how her car rides horrible, doesn't handle well and is horrible in the rain making her afraid to drive. Her grandfather does the "maintenance" on the family vehicles usually. Her '04 Honda Accord had 51 pounds in each tire because that's what the max pressure said on sidewall. Gave her some quick lessons between placard/sidewall/ratings etc. and showed some quick pictures from the net. We did a chalk test and ended up at about 34 front and 31 rear. I think placard had 30 or 32. We gave her a cheap tread depth gauge, Harbor freight compressor, decent air gauge, Gorilla wrench.

She now checks weekly, adjusted her parents cars and tried to explain to grandfather. She knows if he was around she needs to check all of them. Her car rides good, handles well and is much better in the rain. Chalk test showed at 51 she was on about 1/4 of the tire tread.

She took the TireRack Street Survival class. She was able to see that at her pressures the tire would roll slightly onto sidewall at more extreme emergency moves but still stayed planted. Her next set of tires she bought more performance based, higher rated ones. They are at about the same pressures and she is happy.
Oh wow. I'm sure glad that got figured out before she had an accident. 51psi would be frightening on a 3200Lb car.
My 2012 Honda Crosstour V6 has Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 51psi max. Vehicle weight is 3800 Lb. Honda recommends 32psi all around. I know the fronts are under inflated at 32psi. The heavier tire we have needs more preasure or it becomes a blob. We are running at 36psi cold at the moment on the Crosstour.
Thanks for your informative post.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
I replaced the stock tires at 32k on my 17 EX-L AWD with Michelin LTX M/S. I believe these have a stiffer sidewall than the original tires and inflate to 35 PSI. It's been 7-months but still holding at 33 cold PSI. I like these way better than the Bridgestones.
I'd bring that preasure up to at least 35psi cold. You will notice an improvement in handling. I'm not a Michelin fan (mostly because of price) but yes, the Bridgestone OEM tires are garbage.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I have my Pilot serviced by my Honda dealer. In looking at my maintenance records, I see, when the dealer marks the tire pressure they set, that it has been either 37 or 38 psi. That has worked fine for me.
Do you have OEM Bridgestone Duelers?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Oh wow. I'm sure glad that got figured out before she had an accident. 51psi would be frightening on a 3200Lb car.
My 2012 Honda Crosstour V6 has Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 51psi max. Vehicle weight is 3800 Lb. Honda recommends 32psi all around. I know the fronts are under inflated at 32psi. The heavier tire we have needs more preasure or it becomes a blob. We are running at 36psi cold at the moment on the Crosstour.
Thanks for your informative post.
Our Sonata V6 is the same way... 32 on the placard but it always looks like the front tires are low, even at the 35 I've run it at for 5 or 6 years now. Severe weight imbalance front to rear does that I suppose.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Our Sonata V6 is the same way... 32 on the placard but it always looks like the front tires are low, even at the 35 I've run it at for 5 or 6 years now. Severe weight imbalance front to rear does that I suppose.
I can't wrap my head around this issue. The supposed "engineers" for our vehicles got it all figured out, so they say. I'm accused of being argumentive and that I should just do what they say.
Bottom line, I believe it's money. Car manufacturers push the limits of the lightest weight tires they can get and pocket the profits. There is no reason in the world a person who is attentive to the handling of their vehicle would put the OEM Bridgestone Dueler back on their Pilot. The Stealerships are preying on the masses of car owners who don't know any better. Tirerack wants $225. I'm sure it's way more than that at Honda. "But it's OEM." "It's what's recomended." I'm not buying it. For the safety of those riding in my vehicle, I'm not buying it.
I guess Hyundai in on it too.
Don't forget, you need to fill your tires with nitrogen. That scam didn't last long.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
The supposed "engineers" for our vehicles got it all figured out, so they say.
Bottom line, I believe it's money. Car manufacturers push the limits of the lightest weight tires they can get and pocket the profits. There is no reason in the world a person who is attentive to the handling of their vehicle would put the OEM Bridgestone Dueler back on their Pilot. Tirerack wants $225.
If Honda really wanted to save money on tires, then they wouldn't be buying from Bridgestone.
More likely the reason for fitting lightweight tires is to eke out some extra (fractions of an) mpg on the EPA tests.
I wonder how much worse the EPA figures would be if Honda had instead chosen the (34 lb.) Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tire for OEM use on the Pilot?
Dueler HL Alenza Plus | Long-Lasting Highway Truck Tire

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If Honda really wanted to save money on tires, then they wouldn't be buying from Bridgestone.
More likely the reason for fitting lightweight tires is to eke out some extra (fractions of an) mpg on the EPA tests.
I wonder how much worse the EPA figures would be if Honda had instead chosen the (34 lb.) Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tire for OEM use on the Pilot?
Yea but the Alenza has long been known as a quality tire, one I would actually consider using. It's sacrilege for an OEM to use a tire somebody would actually like and want to use again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Certain OEM tire exceptions exist out there i.e. my Wrangler which came with BFG KO2s. I would buy them again although there are less expensive alternatives. But for the typical new vehicle the OEM tires are just adequate.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I wouldn't say your wrong on the ekeing out some more mpg. I gotta follow the money trail too. Dueler H/L Alenza would cost more. And there are plenty of other tire manufacturers that would be glad to make a quality tire for Honda. Continental tires used to be lower in price. Now their getting ridiculous. I don't think their ready to burn their reputation for Honda.

·
Administrator
15,344 Posts
Dealers tend to go high on tire pressures.

Why?

Too few people actually check the tire pressure until the light cones on.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I gotta follow the money trail too. Dueler H/L Alenza would cost more.
According to prices on the TireRack site, the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is a couple of dollars cheaper than the OEM Bridgestone tire.

And there are plenty of other tire manufacturers that would be glad to make a quality tire for Honda.
Honda is using Hankook as an OEM tire supplier for some Civics, Accords and CR-Vs.
Some HR-Vs get Yokohama OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
According to prices on the TireRack site, the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is a couple of dollars cheaper than the OEM Bridgestone tire.

Honda is using Hankook as an OEM tire supplier for some Civics, Accords and CR-Vs.
Some HR-Vs get Yokohama OEM tires.
They had a big display Continental Tires in the Honda dealership near me not long ago.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
766 Posts
I wonder if tire choice might also be a dealers choice when bringing in new vehicles. Does anyone know if the choice of tires is something the dealer can select?

My 2013 Pilot Touring OEM tires were Michelin Primacy MXV4's. When I needed new tires that is what I put back on it as the first set did me fine to the tune of 66K+.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
I wonder if tire choice might also be a dealers choice when bringing in new vehicles. Does anyone know if the choice of tires is something the dealer can select?

My 2013 Pilot Touring OEM tires were Michelin Primacy MXV4's. When I needed new tires that is what I put back on it as the first set did me fine to the tune of 66K+.
Let's take a look at the specs....

Its rated better than the Duelers we got on our 2017 EX-L. Ranked #13 out of 55. Would buy again not bad at 7.4. My big negative is the price. $231.22 at Tirerack.
This might be a better option in a 235/60r18... Continental True Contact. $167 per tire. Rank #1

61 - 78 of 78 Posts