Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
The SAAB was gone before I was old enough to drive and looked like this one:

View attachment 136592
So was my dad's 1959 Rambler.

So I had to learn how to drive on my parents' 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. :)

And to stay somewhat on topic: Man, look at those tires. I predict that once this ridiculous low profile tire fad fades, whitewalls will make a comeback. :)

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Do you have curb feelers on your Pilot?
Those were going out of style when I was learning to parallel park. I think one of my aunts had them, but I thought to myself I'd man up and park without the car equivalent of training wheels.

Coker Tire is ready and waiting for your order: Coker Whitewall Tires | Coker Classic Tires
Wow, and they even have one in 1st generation OEM 235/70R16 size.

They're kind of pricey*, though, and I'd never heard of Coker Tires. Are they actually good tires? Anyhow, first I'll have to wear out my Michelin LTX M/S2s, and by that time whitewalls may have become mainstream again. :)

*plus shipping, duty, taxes, etc.
  • This total does not include any local duties / taxes in your Country. The Grand Total for your order will vary from what is shown here based on those additional charges.
  • Shipping Methods

$294.28 GroundFedEx
    $309.82 International EconomyFedEx

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm remembering now (old timers disease), it was my brother that had the set of Yokos he couldn't balance. I'm thinking, I've got a photo of the weights. But it was of my set of Yokos, lol, by salvage auction I owned a set briefly, and I chose not to keep them because...
  1. They were in an accident.
  2. One of the four was punctured.
  3. I remembered what he told me about having trouble balancing Yokohamas.
Here is the photo of my salvage Yokahama tire.
View attachment 136597
Now if you look closer at all the weights in the back of the rim.
View attachment 136598
So I rejected the other 3 and sold with the junk Pilot I used for parts.
Found my original photo of the gobbs of weights stuck on the rim to balance this Yokohama tire.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Eesh, even if it is balanced, all that extra weight's got to eat away at your gas mileage. :p

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Eesh, even if it is balanced, all that extra weight's got to eat away at your gas mileage. :p
Since these were tires in an accident, and I only had 3 possible good ones, I never tried them. I'd always heard about how bad it was to have tires with different tread depths. But ya, that's a ridiculous amount of weight. Hopefully someone made a nice....,

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Wow, and they even have one in 1st generation OEM 235/70R16 size.

They're kind of pricey*, though, and I'd never heard of Coker Tires. Are they actually good tires? Anyhow, first I'll have to wear out my Michelin LTX M/S2s, and by that time whitewalls may have become mainstream again. :)
Coker is a well-known and long-established supplier of tires for classic cars.

Check your Michelin LTX M/S2s for any signs of cracks developing between the tread blocks at the bottom of the tread.
I replaced the set I had for that reason while there was plenty of tread depth remaining.
Not what I was expecting from a premium-priced tire.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Check your Michelin LTX M/S2s for any signs of cracks developing between the tread blocks at the bottom of the tread.
I replaced the set I had for that reason while there was plenty of tread depth remaining.
Not what I was expecting from a premium-priced tire.
I used to buy Michelin, but they were not worth the price. And after the bad set of OEM Bridgestones, I won't buy their stuff anymore. Goodyear I wrote off years ago for taking advantage of their good name and then putting garbage out on the street. I can't find a better truck tire than Firestone Transforce, but I'd never buy a set if passenger vehicle tires with the FS name on them for the bad quality I've experinced. Continental has some quality, but it seems they to are pricing themselves out of reach of the majority.
It is my personal opinion that the many consumers would be better off buying a lower priced tire and replacing them more often. There are some really good tires out there for around $100 that will last 2 years (19,20 inch are more $), if your careful what you buy, looking for the higher UTQG ratings.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You mean like buying a swayback nag every two years..........
View attachment 136617

instead of a good horse and caring for it?
View attachment 136618
Bad comparison.
Even that Mich is thrown in the pile eventually, and many before they attain the milage they advertise. Why? Well obviously a few have defects, but a lot of time they begin to dry rot and crystallize with age. Why spend a $1000+ on a set of tires that will be problematic after they are 2 years old. Especially if you live where the summer heat is brutal. I hate buying a single tire to replace a bad one, and that's more likely to happen if my tires tires are 2+. So it's simple, buy a tire with a UTQG rating at 500-600. 600 is usually good for 60k miles. If you drive less than that, then 500 may suffice, but remember that a lot of city driving affects your tire wear. If your in a cooler climate, maybe you can go longer.
I also save on road hazard waranty (x 9 vehicles)(which when owned rarely used). I'm comfortable self-insuring when my tires only cost $100 each.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No point in being cheap if you’re gonna have to do the exact thing sooner than you would if you paid a little bit more. I don’t want to replace tires every 2 years. I prefer 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
No point in being cheap if you’re gonna have to do the exact thing sooner than you would if you paid a little bit more. I don’t want to replace tires every 2 years. I prefer 3-4 years.
Where you live and driving habits. I don't want to drive on dry baked rubber for even one year, even though I have some tread left.
Have you ever disposed of a tire that still had tread life because it was a replacement for one that went bad on you, before you were ready to buy a full set?
I'll pay my $500 for 2 years over $1200 for 4 years and reduce the possibility of an additional tire expense in the middle somewhere.

Reactions: Sha93
21 - 34 of 34 Posts