Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey

Should the "fee" for mounting tires be "different" based on "brand" of tire ?

If you're selling me:
Some Dunlop 235/70/16
Some Michelin 235/70/16
Some Goodyear 235/70/16
Some SumiTomo 235/70/16

Why is the cost for mounting and balancing the SAME SIZE TIRES on the SAME VEHICLE be DIFFERENT for all 4 BRANDS ?

explain

*all with same 40k miles warranty
Mount and balance FREE on 1 brand
$25 on a different brand (per wheel)
$36 on 2 other brand (per wheel)

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Which tire shop are you using that has a pricing differential for mounting based on the brand of tire?
Are they trying to steer you toward a particular tire brand on which they make a higher profit?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I've ended the games these store front tire shops play on me because stuff like this. They tell you the tire cost $150 each and some how after they are done (3 hours later😬), You get the bill and it's $900 😠.
Buying tires online is a game changer, and my local independent tire shop mounts and balances new tires for $100 in 30 minutes.
Game over Discount Tire! And Firestone, And Big O. 🤾‍♂️

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Competitive shops may have different charges for tire installation but I have not seen different charges based on regular passengers tires. Perhaps special wheels or balancing or bead lock tires one can expect special charges.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have seen different prices to mount and balance based on wheel type but never on what brand I was buying. That sounds like funny math.

I usually do all my tire/alignment stuff at one shop in town. I wanted some special tries for my wife's Acura and asked them if they would order them and they declined. Bought them from Tire Rack. They charged the same price to mount and balance as they do if you buy them there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which tire shop are you using that has a pricing differential for mounting based on the brand of tire?
Are they trying to steer you toward a particular tire brand on which they make a higher profit?
Pep Boys for one.... there are other MAJOR CHAINS that does it too...

I've ended the games these store front tire shops play on me because stuff like this. They tell you the tire cost $150 each and some how after they are done (3 hours later😬), You get the bill and it's $900 😠.
Buying tires online is a game changer, and my local independent tire shop mounts and balances new tires for $100 in 30 minutes.
Game over Discount Tire! And Firestone, And Big O. 🤾‍♂️
I feel you,
I wanted 2 tires, on the brand I wanted they said " mounting and balancing EXTRA " .... even tho another Brand said "FREE", I pointed that out.

I asked why .. the person mumbled some nonsense that wasn't "logic" , I told him, cancel my order, surprisingly, they offered the service "FREE", but only "This time".

I have argued and received the "lowest price" and all "discounts" from stores before, and banks, i let them know "i want equal service"
You see some of the discounts offered on cars these days ?
"Recent College grad discount" , was one, I told my neighbor, even tho you're not a recent college grad, if they're not giving you the discount, walk"... surprise.. the dealer also gave my neighbor the discount.

The last time I financed with a bank, because my credit wasn't the "best", they offered interest rate in the middle scale, I told them "Either I get the lowest interest rate, or no deal", "how can you claim to be helping people rebuilt their credit by charging more ?" .... well, lets just say I ended up with the lowest finance rate that day.

Either I get treated EQUAL, or you're not getting my business.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a chain place around here that charges based on where you purchased the tire from...tirebuyer, discount tire warehouse, tire rack, etc...the store employee just told me to take off all the stickers and stuff and say they are my own "loose" tires to get the lower rate. Haven't gone back since...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no problem if all the SAME SIZE TIRES are THE SAME FEE FOR MOUNTING...
because "mounting" fee is obviously a "labor" fee....

I would understand if the FEE differs due to "DIFFER"ENT SIZE....

.....it should take the SAME TIME to mount each "SAME SIZE" tire, REGARDLESS of BRAND.

"What you tolerate, you validate."

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I think my local tire shop is fair at mounting 4 tires, balance and disposal for $100. It's not a fancy air conditioned place with a TV. The place smells of tire rubber and sweaty men. They don't complain if your in the garage walking around your vehicle or while they work. It's a great time for me to inspect my brake pads. I like to tip the guy who mounted my tires. They remember you.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I think my local tire shop is fair at mounting 4 tires, balance and disposal for $100. It's not a fancy air conditioned place with a TV. The place smells of tire rubber and sweaty men.
Sounds like the Goodyear store where my Dad went with his SAAB because they were the only place that had the odd size of tire it used - something like 155R15. The store had probably been there since the days of the Model T Ford and the majority of their business was servicing commercial/fleet vehicles. I recall that the shop area looked like a cave and was about as well lit.

The SAAB was gone before I was old enough to drive and looked like this one:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Tires are one of the most frustrating things I buy for my car. There are so many options, and like oil people all have their preferences and try and convince you that their choice is the best.
I usually pick best price, tread life, reviews and any rebates that may be offered within my budget. I realize taxes and TMPS fees add up and try and adjust my expectations. I tried a new brand this time, Yokohama and I am 9,000 miles in and I can say for certain I am really impressed with them. If money was no object I would go with the Michelin Defenders without a doubt but that just wasn't in the cards this time.

Discount Tire has provided the best service and the fact that they only sell tires is preferable to me because I hate being suggested a million things to do on top of replacing tires.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Tires are one of the most frustrating things I buy for my car. There are so many options, and like oil people all have their preferences and try and convince you that their choice is the best.
I usually pick best price, tread life, reviews and any rebates that may be offered within my budget. I realize taxes and TMPS fees add up and try and adjust my expectations. I tried a new brand this time, Yokohama and I am 9,000 miles in and I can say for certain I am really impressed with them. If money was no object I would go with the Michelin Defenders without a doubt but that just wasn't in the cards this time.

Discount Tire has provided the best service and the fact that they only sell tires is preferable to me because I hate being suggested a million things to do on top of replacing tires.
I had heard a lot of good things about Yokahama tires. You know me, I don't like paying $200 For a tire. But a friend of mine took his set back to DT because they wouldn't balance. He showed me a whole row of inner weights stuck to the inside of his rim. The tires were to out of balance out of the box. Glad yours are working out.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I had heard a lot of good things about Yokahama tires. You know me, I don't like paying $200 For a tire. But a friend of mine took his set back to DT because they wouldn't balance. He showed me a whole row of inner weights stuck to the inside of his rim. The tires were to out of balance out of the box.
Did DT use a Hunter road force balancer on your friend's tire?
If so, did the installer follow the instructions from the machine as to the proper orientation of the tire on the wheel in order to minimize the amount of weights?

Alternatively, did the tires have any uniformity markings - usually a red or yellow dot - on the sidewall?
The dot on the tire should be aligned next to the valve stem on the wheel for optimum balance.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
I had heard a lot of good things about Yokahama tires. You know me, I don't like paying $200 For a tire. But a friend of mine took his set back to DT because they wouldn't balance. He showed me a whole row of inner weights stuck to the inside of his rim. The tires were to out of balance out of the box. Glad yours are working out.
I think I paid $140/tire, plus rebates so not bad in my opinion.
Well now that you mention that, I have been having issues getting them to balance since I purchased them. I had to go back shortly after they were mounted to have them rebalanced. That helped a little bit, but it's never been perfect. I went for a rotation and balance a few days ago and had to make a second trip back as well.

They do use the Hunter balancer or whatever its called, but I don't think that is the only equipment that can balance tires so I'm not sure that is the ticket to ensuring they are balanced properly. It's not my responsibility to ensure the installer mounted the tires correctly as that is why I paid them to do it. I have learned to live with the slight vibration at highway speeds while enjoying the quietness and good handling the tires provide.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I'm remembering now (old timers disease), it was my brother that had the set of Yokos he couldn't balance. I'm thinking, I've got a photo of the weights. But it was of my set of Yokos, lol, by salvage auction I owned a set briefly, and I chose not to keep them because...
  1. They were in an accident.
  2. One of the four was punctured.
  3. I remembered what he told me about having trouble balancing Yokohamas.
Here is the photo of my salvage Yokahama tire.

Now if you look closer at all the weights in the back of the rim.

So I rejected the other 3 and sold with the junk Pilot I used for parts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts