Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an interesting add on for my Pilot that was inexpensive but very useful. Tire Minders are replacement valve caps that change color if your tire pressure falls. They are green if you have the correct pressure, yellow if you are less than four pounds under pressure, and red if your pressure falls farther than four pounds. Now all I have to do to check tire pressure is to walk around the Pilot whenever I am gassing it up and look at the valve caps. Very cool. You can get them for whatever pressure you need. Mine are for 32 pounds. Tire Minders

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got them also. I first put them on the wife's van as she's not that good about keeping the tires filled. I liked them so much I put them on the Pilot also.

I'm really curious as to how many parking lots they'll see before they're ripped off....

:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The wife's made it through an oil change and tire rotation at Wal-Mart yesterday ...

:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
got 'em and love 'em

·
Registered
920 Posts
dsrpilot said:
The wife's made it through an oil change and tire rotation at Wal-Mart yesterday ...

:D
I would be very careful with these oil change places...

Half the time they forget to tighten this or that, the other times they get out the old air wrench and ram your rims on at 150 ft. lbs. plus...

Just a word of caution. :(

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just ordered my new set of Tireminders. Hopefully they work well!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The tireminder is just a spring loaded device. The spring is tensioned to the pressure, such as 32. There are 2 cylinders inside the cap. The yellow/red one is totally stationary. The green one moves up and down based on the pressure in your tire. So if they are alittle low the green will move down and show some of the yellow. If I think under 4lbs low the red shows. I don't think there is any sort of failsafe on these. I would bet if valve failed it would drain the tire. The chances on that happening I don't know.

I had them on my Pilot for awhile. 1 of my tires had a slow leak in it and I wasn't sure if it was the tireminder or not so I took them off. Turns out it was the large nail in the tire and not the tireminder. I haven't put them back on my Pilot yet. They did work when I had them on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
max_501 said:
If the tire minders fail for some reason will you tire go flat or do they have some sort of safety device in them?
I had a flat on the front tire a week ago due to a lose tireminder. I had the tireminders on for over 8 months now and this is the first time it happened. If your tireminder is not tightly screwed on, it will flatten your tire. I'm not sure how mine became lose either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Although it's a cool idea to have the Tirereminder, the best way to maintain your tires is to check the pressure once a month and rotate them regularly.

I've been checking the pressure once a month and rotate tires of my '92 Prelude every 8K miles, and they (original Michelin or Goodyear Eagle GT II) last over 80K miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Just ordered my new set of Tireminders. Hopefully they work well!
Found 32 psi & 36 psi "Monkey Grips" costing $9.99 for a set of 4 at my neighborhood "...the Zone....". They look to be exactly the same as the Canadian Tire Minders brand device. Any difference I should be aware of?

I haven't been able to get the www.tireminder.ca phone number to work. Has anyone else?

BTW, I put the 32psi on the Pilot and the 36psi on my wife's Mini-van. They look great!

·
Registered
920 Posts
PatrickC1026 said:
Although it's a cool idea to have the Tirereminder, the best way to maintain your tires is to check the pressure once a month and rotate them regularly.

I've been checking the pressure once a month and rotate tires of my '92 Prelude every 8K miles, and they (original Michelin or Goodyear Eagle GT II) last over 80K miles.
I could not agree more...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I just got a set from collegehillshonda for $10.50. They come with a tire gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Instructions and warranty

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
They're pricey, but look at my signature for Intellivalve sensors. With all the furor over the Explorers rolling over, I wanted peace of mind with my SUV tires.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I just took my tire minders off. I was getting gas the other day when I noticed the front tire getting low on air. I thought I had a flat. Turns out, the tire minder was leaking air.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Total junk. Get rid of them now!!!!!

My wife called me from work with a flat tire,just one week after installing these little bastards.

I re-inflated the tire to look for a leak, but couldn't find one. I re-installed the tire minder, and there was a whooshing sound as the thing let all of the air from the tire.

I figured it was a defect - so I went back and exchanged it for another set.

Guess what? Two days later, I got a call from my wife 30 miles from my house, and the tire minders gave her yet another flat.

*2* Sets of these things went bad. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I plan to head back to brookstone to get my money back. I feel sorry for clerk if he doesn't immediately refund!!!

John

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Same problem. I took mine off. I was going to get the defective one replaced. But then they seem unreliable. So, what's the point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts